If your central heating system is always struggling to keep one of your rooms warm, maybe it’s time to try a supplemental space heater, especially the best oil heater for large room.
Oil-filled space heaters are affordable, energy-efficient, don’t dry out the ambient air in a room, and continue to warm up your room even after they are turned off.
However, to get the best out of your oil filled heater, you have to understand how it works and the features to consider before selecting one for your room.
In this oil heater review, you’ll find some of the best oil filled space heater for large rooms that you can buy today. If you want to understand how to pick the best heater for large room, I’ve included the information in the buying guide section.
8 Best Oil Heater for Large Room
1. DeLonghi TRD40615E Full Room Radiant Heater
- Digital control panel with LED display for easy selection includes all the available functions and 24 hour timer.
- De'Longhi Exclusive: 75% more radiant surface area than RadiaS due to unique design*- the more radiant surface= the more heat transferred to you and your environment
- Quick Heat Up: Warm air is rapidly distributed thanks to the increased convection heating effect and exclusive battery design.
- Better Heating- delivers gentle heat minimizing dry air, creating a better breathing environment that is more allergy friendly with no fan to stir up dust, pollen and dander.
- Integrated handle and control panel allow you to easily operate and relocate your heater at any time during or after use.
- Exclusive ECO Plus feature optimizes energy consumption by regulating power flow and temperature to efficiently manage your comfort
- Ergonomic Portability: Enjoy easy movement from room to room thanks to ergonomic front and rear handles Exclusive Smart Snap wheels require no installation and are rubber coated for smooth transition between surfaces.
- 1500 watts of Long lasting, quiet heat for small to medium spaces
- Built-in Safety Elements: Important safety features include child lock and a thermal cut-off function that turns off the machine in case of overheating. Additionally, when the temperature dips below 41 degrees F (5C), the Anti-freeze setting automatically switches on the heater
- Durable & Low Maintenance: High quality steel assembly and permanently-sealed diathermic oil reservoir never needs refilling. A specialized multilayered painting process provides a complete, corrosive resistant finish.
The DeLonghi TRD40615E is a versatile oil heater that can be used to provide ideal heating for rooms that measure up to 140 square feet.
Its thermal chimneys are effective enough to maximize the performance of the heater and minimize its surface temperature. Therefore, it heats large rooms within short time-frames before the surface temperature getting very high.
The maintenance costs of the fan are quite low. Its special and sturdy high-quality steel housing provides enough protection to the sensitive components inside.
It has several features that make it one of the most versatile and easy-to-use oil heaters that are currently available on the market. You can use its digital controls to completely customize the performance by programming the heater within a 24-hour cycle.
Moreover, the anti-freeze unit enables the heater to automatically switch on when the temperature falls to under 44 degrees F. This maximizes your comfort and protects the tubes of the heater from freezing.
- The use of high-quality steel for the heater’s body maximizes durability
- Provides value for money because it does not require oil refilling
- The adjustable thermostat and anti-freeze unit enhance convenience
- The clicking sounds of the switcher are loud enough to cause distractions in a quiet room
2. Honeywell HZ-789 EnergySmart Electric Oil Filled Radiator
- WHOLE ROOM HEAT: EnergySmart technology makes this heater not only powerful but energy efficient. It features Digital EasySet Controls with a 1-12 Hour Timer, adjustable thermostat & 3 heat settings.
- SAFE & MOBILE: A large, easy-pull handle & easy-glide wheels make this heater simple to move, & it's loaded with safety features: 360° Tip-Over Switch, overheat protection & thermal insulated wiring.
- INCREASE YOUR COMFORT: Portable heaters can help increase comfort & supplement home heating needs. Honeywell carries a range of heaters including personal, ceramic, fan forced, radiant, & infrared.
- SMART SAVINGS: Portable heaters are an easy way to add warmth to any space. By turning down your home thermostat a few degrees & heating just the room you're in, a space heater can help you save money.
- HONEYWELL QUALITY: Help improve heating & energy savings in your home, office, or school using an energy efficient Honeywell portable heater to bring comfort to any sized room from small to large.
One of the things that make the Honeywell HZ-789 a great heater for your home is the kind of safety features incorporated in its design. Notably, this heater has been designed to make it quite easy and safe to use in a typical home.
The 360 degrees tip-over feature ensures that the heater automatically gets switched off when it is knocked to the floor. This can happen at any time, given the small size of the heater. Therefore, the tip-over feature enhances the overall safety of the heater.
Moreover, the wiring of the heater is thermally insulted as a precaution against fire in the event of overheating. However, standard heaters like the Honeywell HZ-789, have special features to prevent overheating and protect the wiring from a potential fire.
However, the heater does not come with remote control. Normally, it is easier to control a heater using a remote control than manually adjusting the settings on its body. Also, the plastic wheels of the heater can easily wear off after some time.
- Its sleek design and small body size fit well in small and medium-sized rooms
- It has enhanced safety features
- You can easily move the heater around because of the small plastic wheels
- The plastic wheels wear off quite easily
- The heater does not come with remote control for greater convenience
3. PELONIS Electric 1500W Oil Filled Radiator Heater
- [Efficient Heating & Multiple settings] Three heating options (900w, 1500w, mode) and five temperature settings (65F, 70F, 75F, 80F and 85F) to achieve customized temperature settings with maximized efficiency and warmth. Enjoying user friendly features including the LCD screen, programmable thermostat, remote control and 10-hour Timer.
- [Portability] 4- swivel Caster Wheels capable of 360°rotation provides easy portability to move your Polonis space heater from room to room.
- [Safety Features] Power indicator light lets you know the unit is ON, built-in safety, over-heat protection and tip-over safety switch shuts heater off if accidentally knocked over.
- [Quiet Operation] Enjoy peace and quiet room while keeping your space warm and cozy without annoying heater sounds that disturbs you from sleep, work, meditation, chat or anything requires peaceful .it offers warmth more gentle and lasting but usually takes more time than fan heaters because its heat-conducting medium is oil.
- [Manufacturer ] With confidence in the quality and efficiency of our digital LCD heater, a 1-Year manufacture was offered with your purchase.
The PELONIS Electric oil-filled heater is efficient in heating the air inside small to mid-sized rooms. It has three heating modes as follows: the low mode of about 600w, the medium mode of about 900w, and the high mode which is 1500w.
Besides, you can select any of the five different temperature settings that range from 65 degrees F to 85 degrees F.
Moreover, this heater has several features that enhance its ease of use. By using the remote control, you can change key functionalities such as the heating mode and temperature settings. The LCD is quite luminous and clear; therefore, you can easily monitor what you are doing to the heater when using the remote control.
Despite its great functionalities and design, this heater has some flaws. One of its major shortcomings is that you cannot rely on it to heat large rooms. Its maximum energy consumption level of 1,500w limits the range of space that the heater can be used to provide heat.
- Enhanced users experience, thanks to the inclusion of a remote control
- The wheels can be easily mounted and used to move the heater around the house
- Great design makes the heater ideal for use at home and in the office
- Suitable for use in standard to large spaces
4. Aikoper Space Heater, 1500W Oil Filled Radiator heater
- 【Customizable Heating】Choose from 3 heating options (600w, 900w, 1500w) and ECO mode with temperature settings ranging from 40-95F. Adjust the temperature by ±1F with each press. The 24-hour on/off timer and remote control make the radiator heater easy to use.
- 【Safe and worry-free】 The oil filled radiator heater is made of V0 flame-retardant material. If the oil heater accidentally flips over or overheats, it will automatically turn off the space heater, ensuring your safety and peace of mind.
- 【Stylish and User-Friendly】The elegant control panel features soft-touch buttons and a big, clearly displayed temperature indicator. The fast and easy wheels assembly means you can start using it right away.
- 【Quiet and Comfortable】This oil heater for indoor use requires no refueling and runs quietly, perfect for overnight sleep or for babies. It provides even and dry heat throughout, keeping your home warmer for longer.
- 【Smart ECO Mode】Save money on your energy bill with the smart ECO mode. It automatically keeps your ideal temperature setting, so you don't have to adjust it frequently.
- 【Worry-Free Purchase】We stand behind the quality of our product and offer 24-hour customer service via Amazon. If you have any issues, we'll provide a solution within 24 hours.
The Aikoper Space Heater can be the right choice for you if your house is full of pets and children. Children and pets can touch or knock off heaters when they are playing.
If the surface of the heater is hot, the kids of your pets can easily cause burns. Also, heaters that are not carefully made can end up spilling oil or causing fires when they fall.
The Aikoper Space Heater has been designed with these risks in mind. It has several features that protect its internal components and guarantees the safety of everyone who can come into contact with it, including children and pets. The 360 degrees tip-over feature ensures that the heater automatically switches off when it is tipped over accidentally.
Moreover, the heater has been made using a patented technology that involves the separation of the tail and fin. This reduces the overall surface temperature of the heater even when it is operating at the maximum heating mode of 1500w.
- It has all the standard inbuilt safety features, including the tip-over and overheating protection
- The eco-mode and design of the heater maximizes the circulation of heat in the room
- The digital thermostat allows users to make accurate temperature settings on the heater
- The remote control is sold separately
5. NewAir Electric Oil-Filled Space Heater
- [EFFICIENT WHOLE-ROOM HEATING WITH ECO MODE] - Keep winter's bite at bay with this portable oil-filled space heater. This powerful heater has seven fins that provide constant comfort all winter long. Thanks to the ECO mode, you can keep it on all day without worrying about your electric bills — it's one of the most efficient heaters around.
- [TOTALLY SILENT OPERATION] - Unlike convection heaters that require a fan to pump out hot air, this space heater uses diathermic oil inside its radiating fins to keep you warm without making a sound. The result? Quiet comfort in rooms up to 12' x 13'.
- [INTUITIVE CONTROLS AND REMOTE] - Three heat modes let you control your comfort — and your energy usage. Set your desired temperature in 5° increments, or turn on the 10-hour timer for worry-free shut-off whenever you like. The included remote control lets you do it all from anywhere in the room.
- [POWERFUL, PORTABLE HEATING] - The slim, lightweight design of this space heater allows it to fit in any room, while easy-glide casters make it a cinch to roll into place. When winter finally ends, just slide it into storage until you need it again.
- [SMART SAFETY FEATURES] - This ETL-certified space heater features a thermostat for your convenience and an automatic shut-off function that prevents overheating. There's also an anti-tip switch that detects a fall and shuts the heater down immediately to prevent accidents.
The NewAir Electric Oil-Filled Space Heater comes with all the features that you would expect to find in a standard oil heater. It has three heating modes (low, high, and eco) that determine how effectively the heater utilizes energy to heat spaces.
At its highest heating mode, it delivers 1500w of power that is enough to properly heat a room that measures up to 150 square feet.
Moreover, you can adjust the temperature of the heater between 65- and 85-degrees F. The inclusion of a digital thermostat makes it very easy to alter the temperature accurately and according to your requirements.
The sleek design and black color schemes on the housing of the heater complement its toughness and durability. The body of the heater is made of high-quality steel to protect the internal components.
- Ideal for heating small and medium-sized rooms
- The three heating modes and five temperature settings offer great comfort to users
- Its sleek design and black body color fits well with modern interior décor styles
- It can only be used in rooms that measure up to 150 square feet
6. AmazonBasics Indoor Portable Radiator Heater
- Black portable radiator heater provides quiet, radiant heat for rooms up to 144 square feet; can help lower energy bills
- 3 heat settings for customized comfort; 7 oil-filled fins that are permanently sealed with diathermic oil; maintenance-free (never needs refilling)
- ETL-listed; safety features include fully enclosed heating elements, nonslip base, anti-freeze mode (turns on automatically when temperature drops to a specific temperature), and thermal cut-off (turns off automatically to prevent over-heating)
- Made of durable rust-resistant steel; wheels snap into place (no tools required for assembly); 72-inch power cord, plus cord storage
- Measures 14.8 by 11 by 25.2 inches (LxWxH); weighs 17.04 pounds; 1500 watts of power; 12.5 amps; backed by an Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty
The AmazonBasics Indoor Portable Radiator Heat may be the right choice for you if you are keen on getting a small heater for rooms that measure up to 144 square feet.
Its 7 specially-built and oil-filled fins provide radiant heat that can make sitting in a small room very cozy when the temperatures outside are low. Besides, the use of diathermic oil in the fins reduces maintenance costs to zero because you do not have to replace the oil.
Additionally, the heater has notable features that make it easy for one to control it during use. You can adjust the temperature across five distinct settings according to the requirements in your room.
Additionally, it is easy to set the heater in low, medium, or high heating modes using the digital thermostat or the unit in the knobs. However, at times, it is difficult to adjust the unit in the knobs. This can be a major issue if you need to adjust the performance of the heater quickly.
- Zero maintenance costs because the oil never requires refilling
- Contains different features that enhance its safety in the house
- Does not come with a remote control to enhance the usability
Benefits of Using Oil Heaters
Here are the benefits of oil heaters. We” later on discuss oil heater dangers
One of the major benefits of using oil heaters is the level of flexibility that you can enjoy. At times, you may require the heater to operate at certain times of the day or night only.
These may correspond to the times when you are inside the room or when the temperatures are at their lowest. By setting the timer, you can easily determine when the heater goes on and off according to your preferences.
It is more economical to have one heater serving all the rooms in the home than buying heaters for every room. This means that it may be necessary to move the heater from one room to another regularly.
Doing this may be a problem if your heater is not designed to ease mobility. However, oil heaters come with a combination of four wheels and a well-positioned handle to make lifting and movement easy.
Great Performance for Rooms with High Ceilings
Heating a room that has a high ceilings may be a tall order for ordinary heaters. Although such heaters produce radiant heat, they lack the mechanism to ensure that the heated air is properly distributed across a room.
The good news is that, apart from using ceramic heaters for large rooms, some oil heaters have been designed with in-built fans for this purpose. The fans effectively spread heated air across all spaces in rooms, thus overcoming cold drafts that may develop in high-ceiling spaces.
Also, oil heaters are effective in heating the air in rooms with large ceilings because the diathermic oil reserves heat energy and release it over time.
Oil heaters have all the features that one may require to maximize safety in the home. The most common ones include the tip-over and anti-overheating features.
Thanks to the tip-over feature, your oil heater will automatically shut down when it is accidentally knocked down. Its sensors can detect when the heater rotates by 360 degrees and automatically switch it off to prevent a fire outbreak.
Additionally, a common problem of using heaters arises from possible overheating. When used for a long time, the device can overheat, leading to damaged components and the danger of children and even adults getting burned when they touch it.
However, standard oil heaters contain special anti-overheating features that include the use of special materials to cover the fins and other components. Additionally, the heaters contain in-built switches that go off when the temperature of the heater rises rapidly.
Oil heaters are more efficient than traditional radiators because of the role that diathermic oil plays in the heating process. The oil is used as an excellent reservoir for the heat that is generated by the resistor.
Due to its extremely high boiling point, the oil can store massive amounts of heat energy converted from an AC power source.
The oil then releases the heat slowly to maximize the performance of the heater. As a result, an oil heater is more efficient than a traditional one because it converts all the electric power that it consumes into heat energy. You can still check other types of energy-efficient space heaters for large rooms.
Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Oil Heater for Large Room
The heating capacity of your device refers to the size of space that the heater can be used to provide enough heat. This is usually indicated in the form of wattage. The rule of thumb is that a heater uses 10w for 1 square foot of space.
If you need to heat a room that is 100 square feet large, then the ideal heater will be one with a capacity of 1000w.
Ideally, the best oil heaters for large rooms have over 1,500w capacity. This means that they can be used to provide warmth in rooms that measure from 150 square feet upwards. Heaters that have 1,500w are the right ones for providing warmth in spaces that measure up to 150 square feet.
Most bedrooms, small offices, and even living rooms fall within this range. Therefore, any oil heater with a 1,500w capacity can be enough to provide warmth in such spaces. Check how much it cost t run an oil heater.
The inclusion of safety features is another important thing that you need to consider when getting the best oil heater for a large room. Heaters, in general, cause great fire hazards whenever they are used. Accidents can occur at home as a result of children touching or knocking down the heaters.
However, modern oil heaters are safe since they have several safety features such as anti-overheating, anti-topple, and others. A good oil heater contains a special motion sensor that triggers an automatic switch when the heater is accidentally knocked down.
In addition to the automatic switch that responds to sudden movement of the body of the heater, oil-based heaters have the additional capability to switch off when the temperatures rise to certain points. Although the diathermic oil has a very high boiling point, which makes it a perfect heat reservoir, it needs to be protected against getting vaporized.
The best oil heaters have internal switches that can automatically shut off the heater when the temperature reaches almost the boiling point of the oil. This feature protects the internal components of the heater against getting damaged from overheating.
But the most important safety feature that you should consider when purchasing an oil heater relates to the surface temperature. If the surface of your heater becomes extremely hot, then it can pose a real danger to people at home or office.
Luckily, the best heaters have inbuilt features to keep the surface temperature low enough so that the heater is not a big hazard at home. This usually involves the use of high-quality material for housing as well as covering internal components with special materials to minimize the conduction of heat to the body of the heater.
What is the Best Location for Oil Heaters
Getting the best oil heater for a large room is the first step in the process of keeping your house or office warm and comfortable. The next one is determining the best location to place the heater in your internal space. Normally, you can reach this decision by considering a few critical factors that determine the way warm and cool air flows in indoor spaces.
The flow of warm and cool air
Because of differences in density, warmer air tends to rise while cool air flows near the ground. When the air gets warmed or heated, its density reduces drastically. The air drafts then rise towards the roof of a room and are immediately replaced by in-rushing cool air drafts.
Therefore, it is proper to place your heater on the ground in general. By so doing, you will enable the heater to effectively heat the in-rushing cool air drafts. As the heated air rises towards the ceilings and flows across the room, the heater repeatedly heats incoming cold air near the floor.
Check the best heater for large drafty room.
Windows and other openings
Differences in air temperature between inside and outside buildings determine how air moves. Cold air from outside tends to rush into buildings through openings such as windows and doors. Small apertures also allow cold air currents to flow inside buildings. To effectively warm the incoming currents, it is correct to place your heater under windows and near other apertures.
Apart from a mains socket, your oil heater does not need to be near any other thing. Heaters need space to effectively radiate the heat that their resistors produce. The heated air then transfers the warmth across the entire room through convection. Thus, it is proper to place your oil heater on the ground and away from other items in the room.
Moreover, putting your heater in a place that is free of items can prevent accidents. Although oil heaters have many inbuilt safety features, as it has been discussed before, this does not mean that you should not take precautions when using these heaters.
Oil heaters remain dangerous to people and pets. Playing with a heater that is operating may pose a big danger to children and pets in your home. Therefore, it is proper to place the heater at a place that is free of any other items. This will limit movement to the place where the heater is located and enhance the safety of everyone in the home.
Safety While Using Oil-Filled Heaters
Generally, oil-filled heaters are safe to use in homes and offices. However, this does not mean that there is no need for taking safety measures. If not handled well, these heaters can cause serious accidents. The most common ones usually involve fires and burning.
To prevent any of these accidents from occurring in your home, it is necessary to consider the following important safety measures when using an oil-filled heater.
- Using proper wiring: Extension cords and other types of wiring that you may use on your heater can cause major hazards in the home. Because oil-filled heaters consume specific amounts of power to radiate heat, they are prone to the kind of wiring that they are attached to. Using an extension cord that cannot handle the load properly may result in fires.
- Combustible materials: Although oil-filled heaters do not turn smoldering red like traditional ones, they do still get hot after operating for long.
- The heated surfaces can be a big danger to children, pets, and inflammable materials such as fabrics and papers. When using your oil-filled heater in the bedroom, make sure that all the clothes are kept at a safe distance. Similarly, ensure that window curtains and other flammable materials are kept at a safe distance from the heater.
- Children and pets: Children and pets can pose a great danger to the heater. If they accidentally cause the heater to fall down, then there will be the risk of a fire outbreak. This may occur as a result of the diathermic oil leaking after the fall or some of the components in the heater short-circuiting.
- To prevent such mishaps from occurring, it is wise to keep children and pets away from your heater. Ensure that the space in which you place the heater is not accessible to children or pets.
- In-built safety features: Although standard oil heaters have inbuilt safety features, it is still important to check before buying one. Some of the common features include the ability of the heater to automatically switch off before overheating occurs and switch on when temperatures fall under 44 degrees Fahrenheit. The anti-freeze feature protects the inner components of the heater against freezing. The anti-heating feature protects the heater against the effects of overheating.
- Do not put your space heater on a carpet.
Choosing the best oil heater for large room doesn’t have to be difficult if you know what to look for. But first, understand how the heater works and calculate the size of the room you want to heat.
If you’re still not sure what heater to pick, I’d suggest DeLonghi TRD40615E Full Room Radiant Heater. It’s a highly efficient large oil heater that will provide instant heat in your room.
Keep in mind that these units should only be used to supplement your primary heating system. If you use them as the main source of heat, they might never last long or heat effectively.