The surface of heaters can get quite hot after some time. Although adults are aware of the dangers of touching hot surfaces, this may happen accidentally. You may touch the surface if you try to move the heater to a different place.
Moreover, some small heaters are placed on desks at the place of work. It is easier to accidentally touch such small heaters than the large ones which are mounted on walls. Touching the hot surface of heaters can cause burns to the fingers and hands.
If you use a space heater at home, then children and pets’ chances of touching its surface will be very high. Having a space heater with a cool-to-touch feature will enhance the level of general safety at home. You will no longer have to watch over your children to ensure that they accidentally do not touch the heater.
Cool-to-touch heaters have bodies that are made of special materials comprising plastic. As the heating element glows, all the heat is transferred to the objects in the room. The little heat that finds its way to the casing does not cause the heater’s surface temperature to rise to dangerous levels.
Therefore, check the specifications of any space heater you are interested in to ensure that it has the cool-to-touch feature.
Other Safety Features to Consider When Choosing a Space Heater
Heaters can pose a considerable degree of risk at home or at the office. Heaters trigger a good percentage of home fires.
In most cases, the devices get in touch with combustible materials. At times, heaters can cause fires if they are connected to power sources that cannot sustain their amperage and voltage needs.
To prevent fire outbreaks and other forms of accidents associated with heaters, consider the following safety features when choosing a space heater.
The overheat protection feature prevents the heater from blowing up if the temperature rises abnormally. A fuse breaks the circuit to prevent the heater from getting damaged from excess heat or causing a fire. Go for heaters that have the overheat protection feature for the safety of your home.
For space heaters that are used in the stand-alone mode, ensure that they have tip-over protection. Such heaters can easily fall from any flat surface where they are placed.
Also, the heater can fall even if it is placed on the ground. When space heaters fall, they can cause fires if the heating element gets into contact with combustible materials.
Good space heaters have a tip-over protection fuse that automatically goes off if the heater falls. This feature helps prevent fire accidents from taking place if the heater’s heating element gets into contact with combustible materials.
How to Use a Space Heater Safely
The safety of your home depends on how well you keep and use your space heater. Here are a few things that you can do to maintain safety when using a space heater.
- Do not leave your heater on overnight. Although space heaters have inbuilt safety features, including overheat protection and cool-to-touch, they are not supposed to be left on overnight. Accidents may occur and result in fires when everyone is asleep. Therefore, switch off your heater before going to bed.
- Keep the cables safe. Space heaters come with a standard 6-feet-long power cable. Although this cable’s length enables one to conveniently connect the heater to power and position it appropriately, it poses a danger to people. Children may accidentally pull or trip over it. To prevent this from happening, always ensure that the cable is stored correctly when the heater is not in use. Some brands of space heaters have special compartments for storing the cable.
- Keep combustible materials away from the heater. Plastics, paper, and fabrics can easily catch fire if they contact heaters’ hot heating elements. Keep such materials as far away from space heaters as possible. This safety precaution is essential, whether you are using space heaters at home or in the office.
- Use good sources of power. Although it is possible to connect your heater to an extension cable, this is not advisable. Most extension cables found on the market cannot sustain the amperage and wattage needs of typical space heaters that need 1,500W to operate smoothly. Connecting such heaters to weak extension cables can cause fires. If you must use an extension cable, then ensure that you get a heavy-duty one that can sustain your space heater’s energy needs.
Tips for Positioning a Space Heater in your Room
You need to correctly position your space heater for two reasons: maximum heating and safety. You can achieve maximum heating of your home by properly positioning the space heater. Similarly, you can prevent many accidents associated with heaters by placing your device in the right position. Here are a few tips to help you achieve these two goals.
One, keep combustible materials at least 3 feet away from your space heaters. Materials, such as fabrics and plastics, can easily catch fire if they contact the heating element of heaters. Combustible materials in your home include seats, draperies, clothing, rugs, and beddings. Ensure that they are a safe distance from heaters.
Two, place your heater on a hard and flat surface if it is used as a stand-alone device. Surfaces such as desks and tables are ideal for holding heaters. Placing a heater on a slanted surface can result in accidents if the heater slides and falls.
Three, do not put anything on the top of the heater. Hanging clothes on the top of the heater is dangerous because of the fabric catching fire.
Four, always follow all the instructions provided in the manual. The manufacturers’ manual contains dos and don’ts to help you use your space heater safely. The instructions cover every aspect of using a heater, including routine maintenance and ideal positioning.
1. Rowenta Space Heater with Cool-Touch Handle
The Rowenta Space Heater is a beautiful combination of a fan and a powerful heating element. When the two are used together, the heater ends up warming spaces fast and maintaining a comfortable environment. The fan ensures effective and even distribution of the warmth generated by the heater.
You can switch to the fan-only mode when it is already warm inside. When the heater operates in this mode, the fan creates a cool breeze throughout the room. Thus, you can use your Rowenta Space Heater all year round.
It is effortless to move the heater around the house. The perfectly designed and positioned handle provides the means you need to lift the heater when transporting it. Besides, the heater’s small design maximizes its portability.
Additionally, this heater does not provide a lot of noise when operating. You can comfortably watch your TV or even sleep while the heater is on. Nevertheless, it is not advisable to leave your space heater on overnight.
- It requires minimal routine maintenance procedures, mainly washing the dust filter
- Suitable for use all-year-round because of the combination of a heating element and fan
- Ultra-silent operation
- Unsuitable for warming rooms that are larger than 215 square feet
2. Vornadobaby Tempa Nursery Heater
The Vornadobaby Tempa Nursery Heater has been designed to be used in places that are occupied by children. It has various safety features that complement its performance.
Notably, the curiosity-proof child lock protects children and the heater. The heater automatically goes into lockdown mode if your baby tampers with it. Moreover, the cords are hidden at the heater base so that your kids will not pull at them when playing.
The heater automatically goes if it tips over. This feature protects you and the children in case the heater accidentally falls. Similarly, the two-stage overheat protection aspect of this heater guarantees your safety when using this device.
You can tailor the performance of this heater to your preferences and the heating needs of the room. It has an adjustable thermostat in addition to two options for adjusting the temperature and fan speed. The air circulation can be toggled between the continuous and auto modes for your comfort.
Sadly, this heater is not designed for warming large indoor spaces. It would be improper to use it in rooms that are larger than 210 square feet.
- Its performance can be tailored to personal preferences
- Advanced safety features, including overheat and tip-over protection
- Perfect design for use in children’s rooms
- Limited heating capacity
3. Lasko 100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater
If your working space at home or office is perennially cold, then you should consider getting a Lasko 100 heater for yourself.
This heater is a small device perfectly designed for warming you when you are at your desk. It will directly and quickly warm you when placed either on your desk or the floor. You can adjust its settings to maintain a cozy environment while working.
Apart from being small in size, this heater operates silently. You do not have to worry that its noise will distract you or your colleagues at the office.
It is relatively easy to operate the Lasko 100. You only need to get it out of the box and plug it into a standard wall socket. The heater is so efficient that it draws only 2 amps of electric current and 200 watts of power when operating.
Although the Lasko 100 comes with a standard 6-foot cord, it has a two-pronged plug. Using this type of plug can be slightly inconvenient. However, this is a small issue considering the way the heater can efficiently warm you.
- Highly portable because of its small size
- Effective source of warmth at home or the office
- Easy to operate because of its perfectly-positioned manual controls
- It uses a 2-pronged plug
4. Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX-WIFI Infrared Heater
The Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX-WIFI Infrared Heater stands out from many other brands because it is Wi-Fi-enabled.
You can conveniently control every aspect of its performance from the comfort of your seat by using an app on your smartphone. Alternatively, you can use the manual controls to adjust the heater’s performance and even switch it on and off.
Unlike many other space heaters, the Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX-WIFI Infrared Heater is strictly wall-mountable. Mounting the heater on the wall can be great advantage is you are in a small house. The heater will not occupy additional space on the floor like other space heaters used in stand-alone mode.
But installing the heater may be too complicated for you if you are not experienced. It may be wise to get a certified technician to help you mount this heater on the wall.
Also, you will have to carry out routine maintenance procedures to keep the heater in excellent shape.
- Wi-Fi enabled for great convenience
- It is mounted on the wall to save space
- The heater is energy-efficient due to the use of the patented HMS dual-wall technology
- Requires constant routine maintenance procedures
5. Bovado Oscillating Space Heater
The Brovado Oscillating Space Heater provides instant and even heating in indoor spaces because of infrared heating mode and an oscillating base. As the heating element slowly oscillates, the heater effectively warms all objects in the room to create a cozy feeling.
You can tailor this heater to your heating requirements by using the timer function or the programable thermostat. Besides, the remote-control function offers a convenient way of adjusting all operational aspects of the heater.
The only significant drawback of using this heater relates to its narrow base. The heater falls when knocked because the base does not provide adequate support to the heater’s body.
- Quick and even warming of indoor spaces because the base of the heater oscillates
- The digital thermostat and timer function can be used to tailor the performance of the heater
- Advanced safety features, including tip-over and overheat protection
- The heater easily falls when knocked because of its narrow base