When do you need a space heater with a long cord?
Many situations warrant the use of a space heater with a long cord. Imagine you are using your heater in a large room with a limited number of sockets. If you would like to move the heater to any other corner of the room, it will be necessary to consider a socket nearby. You will be unable to move the heater to corners and other room areas where there are no sockets.
If your space heater has a long cord, it will be practical to move it to any corner of your room regardless of the sockets’ number and positioning. Therefore, if you need to carry out zonal heating in a large room with a limited number of sockets, it would be necessary to use a space heater with a long cord.
Even if you are using a space heater in an ordinary room with the standard number of sockets, moving the heater to a different location will require unplugging and plugging it. Many people find this routine quite inconveniencing.
If your space heater is combined with a long cord, then the small problem of unplugging and re-plugging your heater would be a thing of the past. Using a heater with a long cord may be necessary when you do not want the inconvenience of repeatedly plugging your heater whenever you need to move it to a different location in the room.
Remember that some space heaters do not have cords at all. These are typically heaters that burn natural gas and propane. Most brands are designed to be used in outdoor environments because such heaters produce odorless but highly toxic carbon monoxide gas.
Is it safe to use an extension cord with a space heater?
It is safe to use an extension cord with a space heater if the extension cord has the specifications needed to handle your device. The specifications in question relate to the wattage and amperage. They must match or exceed those of the space heater that you intend to plug into the extension cord.
The main risk of using extension cords with space heaters is the possibility of a fire outbreak. Space heaters, or any other device, can cause fires if used on extensions that cannot support their amperage and wattage. Typically, space heaters have a 1,500W rating and 15A. If you plug such a space heater on a typical extension cord, you will likely experience a fire outbreak. The heater will overload the extension cord leading to the fire. You will get this result because most common extension cords are designed to handle far much less loads than 1,500W and 15A.
But if you consider the level of flexibility that a 12 feet cord can offer if you combine it with a standard space heater that has a 6-feet long cable, then it is easy to consider using an extension cord.
To be safe, go for special heavy-duty extension cords that have been built to handle heavy loads. Such cords, which are readily available on the market, can withstand your space heater’s wattage and amperage requirements. You will not have to worry about the extension overheating and causing a fire even when the space heater operates on its maximum mode.
What kind of extension cord can I use for a space heater?
Use extension cords that have been designed to handle heavy loads. Space heaters are rated 1,500W and 15A. This load can be too much for commonly found extension cords. However, if you use special cords to handle this level of wattage and amperage, you will not experience the problems that occur when one uses a simple cord.
Heavy-duty heaters do not heat up even when a device is running at the optimum power level. Moreover, such extension cords do not blow up quickly and cause fires as it is familiar with standard extension cords designed to handle less wattage and amperage. Hence, ensure that you get a heavy-duty heater for your space heater.
What’s the average length of a space heater cord?
The average length of a space heater cord is 6 feet. It seems that manufacturers found out that 6 feet is the ideal length for a space heater intended to be used in typical indoor environments. Even space heaters designed to be used for particularly drafty places like workshops have 6-feet long cords.
If the 6 feet long cord of your space heater is not of great help to you, then consider getting a heavy-duty extension cord so that you can use the space heater conveniently.
How to find the cord length of a space heater
It is not easy to find the cord length of a space heater. Manufacturers deliberately avoid including this critical detail in their product descriptions. Similarly, retailers avoid mentioning the size of the cords of the space heater brands they sell on their sites.
The reasons for manufacturers and retailers avoiding to mention the length of the cords of their products openly are many. One common reason is that saying the length of the cord of space heaters is likely to harm potential customers’ purchase behavior.
If a customer sees the cord length of the space heater that they intend to buy listed, they will immediately figure out if the cord will be long enough for their rooms. This evaluation can draw customers from the main features of the product and negatively influence the way they make decisions.
The best way to find the cord length of a space heater that you intend to buy is by looking through customers’ comments. In some cases, customers’ questions and answers contain information about the length of the cords of space heaters.
The questions and answers section of a site is the best place to look because, by all chances, you are not the only one who is interested in knowing the length of the cords. Other potential customers must have tried to find the information from retailers and manufacturers’ sites without success. They must have posted the questions on such forums, and one or two people who are conversant with the products must have responded with accurate information.
Best Space Heater With Extra Long Cord
1. Dayton 1VNW9 Electric Space Heater
The Dayton 1VNW9 has two defining aspects: advanced safety features and excellent and highly ergonomic design. This space heater has an inbuilt switch that is activated if the temperature rises rapidly. The heater automatically shuts off to prevent overheating.
Furthermore, tip-over protection prevents the occurrence of fire accidents if the heater is accidentally tipped over. Given the small size of this device, the tip-over switch can be of great use. The Dayton 1VNW9 can easily fall when knocked by people passing near it.
You will never go wrong when you need to adjust your Dayton 1VNW9 space heater’s performance, thanks to the perfectly positioned control knobs. It is easy to change the mode of operation of this heater using the knobs.
However, this heater has one shortcoming: its surface temperature rises fast to about 129 Degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature level may be too hot for kids or anyone else who may accidentally touch the heater when it is on.
- The heater has advanced safety features, including overheat protection and tip-over switch
- Incredibly easy to use because the control knobs are conveniently positioned on the top front part of the heater
- Low maintenance requirements: the dust filter is washable
- The surface of the heater becomes slightly hot
2. Honeywell Motion Sensor Ceramic Convection Heater
- ENERGY EFFICIENT HEAT: Designed with dual motors and oscillation, this heater provides powerful 1500W whole room heat. The Low setting does not require as much electricity to operate, so it is more energy efficient and a better option for saving energy
- EASY TO USE: Delivering enhanced safety features & easily controlled comfort, this heater features a programmable thermostat as well as 2 heat settings, auto off timer option, tip over and overheat protection, a permanent dust filter & oscillating heat
- INCREASE YOUR COMFORT: Using portable heaters in your home can help increase comfort & supplement home heating needs. There is a range of Honeywell heaters covering personal, ceramic, fan forced, radiant and infrared to meet all your heating needs
- SMART SAVINGS: Portable heaters are a smart and easy way to add warmth to any space. By turning down your whole house thermostat a few degrees and heating just the room you are in, a Honeywell heater can help you save money while providing soothing warmth
- HONEYWELL QUALITY: Help improve heating & energy savings in your home, bedroom or office using a Honeywell portable heater.
This space heater provides full room heating, thanks to its oscillating base that ensures even heat distribution. The oscillating base complements this device’s infrared heating mode to deliver effective heating of small to medium-sized spaces when one is using this heater.
Moreover, the Honeywell Motion Sensor Ceramic Convection Heater has all the controls you would expect to find in a space heater. The programmable thermostat lets you personalize the heater’s performance according to the heating requirements of your indoor space.
The only notable drawback of using this heater is that it falls very quickly if knocked. The narrow base does not provide the necessary support to keep the heater steady.
It will help if you keep this heater out of people’s paths in the house for general safety. But this is a small precaution to take considering the heating performance of this device.
- The dual heating settings maximize the efficient utilization of energy
- Easy to use control features, including a programmable thermostat and remote control
- Effective heating because of the oscillating base
- The heater quickly falls when knocked because of the narrow base
3. Bovado Oscillating Space Heater
If you are looking for a space heater that can provide warmth rapidly and maintain a comfortable indoor environment, you can try the Bravado Oscillating Space Heater.
The heater’s oscillating base ensures even and fast distribution of heat in small to medium-sized indoor spaces, including dining rooms and bedrooms. You will enjoy a cozy environment as a result of the even distribution of heat in the entire room.
This heater has an eco-mode setting that helps to minimize the amount of energy that it utilizes. When set on the eco mode, the heater still maintains a cozy feeling indoors but consumes less energy than running on the standard heating mode. You can take advantage of this setting to keep your power bills within manageable levels.
Sadly, its housing temperature rises considerably after the heater is in use for a long time. A hot surface can cause burns when you, the kids, or even pets touch it accidentally.
- It has a digital thermostat and timer for customized performance
- Efficient use of energy when operating on the eco mode
- Fast and effective heating
- The housing heats up when the heater is in use
4. TaoTronics Space Heater
- Fast & Quiet Heating: Equipped with ceramic heating elements and rated power up to 1500 watts, our PTC space heater heats up to 70°F in 3 seconds to quickly provide warmth for relatively small spaces. The noise this ceramic heater makes is lower than 45 dB, quiet enough for most people to use in a bedroom while sleeping
- Great Helper to Warm Your Corner: With 70° oscillation to heat from side to side and a 7° tilted fan to increase heat distribution range by 20 percent to efficiently warm yourself or your family without wasting heat.
- Energy saving: Choose from 3 heating modes include High (1500W), Low (900W) and ECO modes; on ECO mode, the space heater will automatically adjust the operating power between 1500W and 900W, depending on the temperature difference between the room and the heating temperature you have set, to save energy and keep room comfortable
- Built to Be Safe: Built with multiple safety features include ETL certification, V0 rating flame-retardant material, overheating protection sensor, 12hrs timer, 24hrs auto power-off and tip-over switch for safer operating conditions (Please use a wall socket instead of a power strip when using the space heater.)
- Compact & Portable: Measures only 18 inches high, so small that you can place it on anywhere in your room or office; designed with a hidden handle for easy moving around. Remotely control the strength and oscillation from your bed or sofa.Convenient for indoor use
The TaoTronics Space Heater is ideal for rapidly warming large indoor spaces such as living rooms and even bedrooms. Thanks to its oscillating base, the heater can warm up large areas faster than those which do not oscillate.
You will enjoy the convenience that comes with using a remote control to operate this heater. If you are tired of using the touch controls, it is easy to change every aspect of the heater’s performance from the comfort of your seat or even bed using the remote control.
You will have to keep this space heater away from where people often pass because of its narrow base. The heater tips over once it gets a small knock. However, the automatic switch cuts off the power supply immediately such an incident happens.
- It comes with the convenience of using a remote control
- Multiple built-in safety protection features
- It has a programmable thermostat and a 12-hour timer for customization
- The heater is very unstable because of its narrow base
5. Cadet RCP402S Space Heater
The Cadet RCP402S is specially designed for warming, particularly drafty areas, including workshops and garages. It features a highly potent fan and a switch.
You can decide when to use the fan depending on the heating needs of the area. It is easy to switch the fan on and off using the small knob on the heater’s surface. This feature maximizes the even distribution of heat, even in spaces that are poorly insulated.
Whether you would like to use this heater as a stand-alone or wall-mountable device, it is easy because it comes with the mounting brackets.
The brackets provide a sturdy base for the heater to be used in the stand-alone position if they are turned. When mounted on the wall or roof of a garage or workshop, this heater delivers excellent and reliable heating.
The design and performance of the Cadet RCP402S restrict its usefulness to poorly insulated spaces, including workshops. It would be a waste of energy to use it indoors. Also, its rugged design is not suitable for indoor spaces.
- Rugged design and powerful performance suitable for drafty spaces
- Can be used in stand-alone or mounted modes
- One can toggle between the high and low heating settings according to needs
- Not suitable for use in indoor spaces, including living rooms