7-foot ceilings provide a technical challenge when you need to mount a fan. On the one hand, you cannot use standard ceiling fans for safety reasons.
Building codes recommend that ceiling fans be at least 7 feet from the floor. Flush-mount fans provide the perfect cooling solution for houses with low ceilings.
In this guide, we shall look at a few standard flush mount ceiling fans and the things you should look out for when choosing the right ceiling fan for hanging directly on the ceiling of your house.
What is the Lowest Ceiling Height for a Ceiling Fan?
The lowest ceiling height for a ceiling fan is 7 feet from the floor. This minimum height for ceiling fans is recommended in standard building codes as a safety feature.
Furthermore, ceiling fans should be installed at least 18 inches from the walls. The blades of ceiling fans should be about 10 inches from the ceiling.
The recommendations about the distance between the ceiling and the bottom of the blades and the distance between the fan and the walls around the ceiling are meant to ensure that the fan functions correctly.
The higher the amount of air that flows above the fan’s blades and the bottom of the ceiling, the higher the fan’s performance in either delivering an updraft or a downdraft.
Why Do You Need a Special Fan for a 7-Foot Ceiling?
It would help if you had a particular fan for a 7-foot ceiling to adhere to standard building codes’ recommendations. The codes are designed to ensure the safety of people in houses where ceilings are installed and provide recommendations for making ceiling fans function ideally.
If you have a 7-foot ceiling, install a particular hugger ceiling fan for the optimum experience. Although technically speaking, any standard ceiling fan can be installed without the down rod, manufacturers deliberately create and market particular types of ceiling fans that can be flush-mounted.
Such fans are designed to function correctly under the tight conditions of getting flush-mounted. Such fans are installed directly on the ceiling and do not have down rods, as is the case with other types of ceiling fans.
Tips for Using a Flush Mount Fan
You can get the best from your flush mount fan if you use it in the right way. Here are a few tips to help you get the maximum utility from your flush mount ceiling fan.
- Choose the right size of a ceiling fan. The performance of ceiling fans is expressed in terms of CFM. The higher the CFM, the better is the fan in terms of covering large areas. Match the CFM specifications of your fan with the room’s size where you intend to install the fan. Go for flush mount fans with high CFM levels if you need to cool the air in large rooms. Choose ceiling fans that have low CFM values if you need to cool the air in small-sized rooms.
- Alternate between the downdraft and updraft modes according to your needs. The downdraft mode of ceiling fans creates a chilly chill in the house. It is perfect for use during hot days. The upward draft is ideal for use during cold days when you need to maintain the air temperature in the room at high levels.
Benefits of Using Ceiling Fans
There are many benefits of using ceiling fans. They range from a comfortable indoor environment to lower energy bills.
Here are details of a few important benefits of using ceiling fans.
A comfortable indoor environment
Ceiling fans create a comfortable indoor environment because they lower the temperature by up to 5 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature drop level is enough to create a cool breeze at home, even during the severely hot days during summer. You will enjoy sitting in the house when the ceiling fan is running because of this effect.
Many brands of ceiling fans come with pre-installed LED lighting kids. A few brands that do not have this feature are still useful. You can purchase and install the kit with relative ease. Although such fans’ lighting is not as powerful as any source of direct light in the home, it is still bright and warm enough to enhance the feel of the house. The ambient lighting is ideal for use in all house places, including living rooms and bathrooms.
Enhancing the look of the house
Ceiling fans come in hundreds of styles. The styles cover different parts of the fan, including the finish type and curvature of the blades. Also, the styles cover the size of the entire unit of the fan and other aspects. These styles can be successfully leveraged to enhance the home’s look and feel in which the fans are installed. It would be best if you chose a fan that matches your home’s interior décor to get the best from their look.
Things to Consider when Choosing a Flush Mount Fan
Choosing the right flush mount fan can be an arduous task if you are not clear about the things you are looking for. It would help if you considered important factors when purchasing a flush mount ceiling fan for your home or even office.
Ceiling fans can have any of the following control options: manual, smart, or remote. Manual controls comprise a simple cord that extends from the motor housing of the fan downwards.
You can change every aspect of the functioning of the fan by appropriately pulling down the cord. You can also switch the fan on and off using the cord. Some fans have wall control units that allow you to use digital buttons to operate them.
Some ceiling fans come with remote controls. The remote controls allow you to change everything about the fan. The most advanced brands are Wi-Fi-enabled. You can use either a phone app or voice controls to adjust the operation of such fans.
Ceiling fans produce noise because of the way the motor functions. Also, ceiling fans installed using a draw rod produce noise when they start to swivel and hobble when the blades are running at high speeds.
The clicking and wheezing that fans produce may be loud enough to distract people who are sleeping or conversing in the house. Go for flush mount fans that produce the least amount of noise.
Fan Speed Options
Fan speed options allow you to personalize the performance of your flush mount fan. Fans that have four different categories of speeds are better than those with only three. It is because you can find the right option under any circumstances when you are using a fan with four-speed options.
The cooling capacity of fans is measured in terms of cubic feet per minute. This is the volume of air that a fan can effectively move in every 60 seconds. The higher the amount of air that the fan can move within a minute, the greater its cooling capacity. Choose flush-mount fans that have high cooling capacity to get the best out of them.
Indoor and Outdoor Usage
Some fans are labeled as suitable for use in both indoor and outdoor environments. Such fans are designed to withstand the effects of the weather elements. They are ideal for installing roofs in outdoor structures. Check if your fan has been listed as suitable for use in indoor and outdoor environments. For patio, check the best outdoor waterproof fans.
Best Ceiling Fans For 7 Foot Ceilings
1. Emerson Ceiling Fans CF905ORB
- CONTEMPORARY FLUSH MOUNT CEILING FAN – Designed to sit directly against the ceiling, this hugger ceiling fan features flush mount installation and is the ideal solution for rooms with lower ceiling clearance. Total fan height measures 8 inches.
- 52 INCH BLADE SPAN – This snugger fan boasts a 52-inch blade span with a 13-degree blade pitch to generate premium airflow. The manual reverse function lets you change the direction of airflow from downdraft during the summer to updraft during the winter.
- REVERSIBLE BLADES FOR CUSTOM LOOK – The oil rubbed bronze housing is complemented with 5 reversible blades. Switch between dark cherry and walnut wood finishes to keep your home’s interior design fresh and match your preferred color palette.
- WALL CONTROL FOR EASY OPERATION – Easily switch between 4 different fan motor speeds with the including sliding wall control. Its 2-wire installation makes for easy hook up access and comes with a decorative face plate.
- INDOOR CEILING FAN WITH LIFETIME MOTOR WARRANTY – Built to cool you down in large indoor spaces, this dry rated ceiling fan is perfect for living rooms, bedrooms, and dining rooms. Fixture features an unlit design but is light kit adaptable (sold separately).
The CF905ORB is a small, versatile, and highly powerful low-profile hugger fan. It is ideal for use in homes with low ceilings that are less than 8 feet high. This ceiling fan comes with an easy-to-use wall control unit.
You can use the wall control unit to change the speed of the fan across four options. This gives you the convenience of tailoring the fan’s speed to your cooling needs at any given time.
The oil-rubbed bronze housing and the dark cherry or dual walnut finish of the blades blend perfectly with traditional and modern décor styles. Installing this ceiling fan in your house will enhance your living room’s overall look and feel or anywhere else where you install this ceiling fan.
The only notable drawback of using this ceiling fan is that it does not come with a light kit. Ceiling fans with light kits enhance the feel of the room in which they are used. You will have to get a different ceiling fan brand if you are keen on having one that has a light kit.
- The oil-rubbed bronze housing blends with conventional interior décor styles
- It has four-speed options for complete convenience
- High airflow capacity of about 5415CFM when running at maximum speed
- The ceiling fan does not come with a light
2. Hunter 51060 Indoor Low Profile IV Ceiling Fan
- CLASSIC CEILING FAN: The traditional ceiling fan comes with chestnut reversible blades that will keep home interior inspired; Measures 44 x 44 x 8.8 Inch
- MULTI-SPEED REVERSIBLE FAN MOTOR: Whisper Wind motor delivers ultra-powerful airflow with quiet performance; Change the direction from downdraft mode during the summer to updraft mode during the winter
- PULL CHAIN CONTROL: Turn the antique pewter ceiling fan on,off and adjust the speed quickly and easily with the pull chain
The 51060 Hunter Indoor Low Profile IV Ceiling Fan is one of the most easy-to-use ceiling fans designed for low-ceiling buildings. When properly installed, this ceiling fan lasts for a long time, giving you value for your investment.
The small pull chain provides a very convenient way of controlling this ceiling fan. You can do everything using the pull chain, from adjusting the blades’ speed to either switching the fan on or off.
You can use this fan during both the window and the summer. The direction of the blades can be reversed to create either an updraft or a downdraft. An updraft is ideal for winter when you need the ambient temperature to rise. The downdraft creates a feeling of a breeze and is ideal for the summer of any other hot day.
This ceiling fan operates silently. The motor produces minimal noise levels that do not cause distractions to people in the house. Besides, it is designed to remain stable and avoid wobbling even when running on the high-speed mode.
- It has a pull chain for easy control
- The speed of the blades is reversible to create either an updraft or a downdraft
- Whisper-quiet operation
- It cannot be used in outdoor environments
3. Modern Forms FH-W1811-5-GH/WG Ceiling Fan
- Modern Forms Fans pair with the smart home tech you know and love, including Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Samsung Smart Things, Ecobee, Control4, and Josh AI. Coming Soon: Savant, Lutron Homeworks, and Nest.
- Free app download: Sync with our exclusive Modern Forms app to control fan speed, use smart features like breeze mode, adaptive learning, create groups, and reduce energy costs. New: Bluetooth compatible for improved range and an unlimited amount of fans can be controlled with remote or wall control within range.
- Battery operated Bluetooth remote control with wall cradle included (Part # F-RCBT-WT). Can be controlled through an Android or iOS wall mounted tablet with Wi-fi.
- Modern Forms Fans are made with incredibly efficient and completely silent DC motors and are up to 70% more efficient than traditional fans. Every fan is factory-balanced and sound tested to ensure each fan will never wobble, rattle or click.
- Integrated LED luminaire (sold separately, part # F-1811-5-LED) powered by WAC Lighting, features smooth and continuous brightness control. An optional cover is included to conceal luminaire.
One of the most notable features of this ceiling fan is controlling it using the most advanced methods, including a phone app and voice commands.
Because it is Wi-Fi-enabled, you can connect this ceiling fan to your smart home network and use voice commands to operate it. Alternatively, the phone app that you need to download and install on your smartphone works fine.
This ceiling fan is listed for use indoors and outdoors. It has been designed to withstand the effects of the elements. Thus, you can comfortably use it in outdoor structures with low ceilings without worrying about it getting damaged by excessive moisture or temperature.
Thanks to excellent engineering, this ceiling fan produces minimal noise when it is operating. It also remains relatively stable even when it is running at very high speeds.
You will not hear it click or produce any other form of annoying noise when it is operating. However, you will have to purchase the LED kit because it is sold separately.
- The ceiling fan has advanced control systems, including remote and voice
- Minimal noise even when the blades are running at high speed
- It can be used indoors and outdoors
- The LED light kit is sold separately
4. Harbor Breeze Mazon Indoor Ceiling Fan
- Integrated matte opal glass light kit includes one 18-watt LED bulb for energy-efficient illumination. 44-in fan provides airflow up to 2,069-CFM, so it’s great for small rooms up to 100-sq ft 3 fan speeds allow you to maintain your ideal comfort level.
Several features make the Harbor Breeze Mazon indoor ceiling fan one of the best choices for low-ceiling buildings. To begin with, this ceiling fan comes with an integrated LED light kit.
The light kit produces a warm glow that can be used to enhance the feel of your living room or any other place where you install this ceiling fan.
Secondly, this ceiling fan comes with remote control. The remote control lets you change every aspect of this device’s functioning, from adjusting the fan speed to switching the fan either on or off.
The brushed nickel finishing of the blades of this fan is something worth mentioning here. This finishing blends perfectly with all interior décor styles. You will enjoy the feel of the entire house when you install this ceiling fan.
However, this ceiling fan has only three blades. The higher the number of blades, the more powerful a ceiling fan is. Because of the three blades, this ceiling fan has a relatively lower cooling capacity than what you would expect to find in small ceiling fans.
- It has an integrated LED light kit
- Remote control for convenience
- Excellent, brushed nickel finish
- Three blades and a relatively lower CFM of 2069
5. Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
The Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan is ideal for use throughout all seasons. You can reverse the direction of the blades to suit your cooling need.
The downdraft is perfect for creating a breeze during hot days. When you change the direction of the blades, they create an updraft that helps maintain the room temperature during cool days.
Thanks to advanced engineering practices, this ceiling fan operates without producing a lot of noise. You would not like to be in a house with a particularly noisy and wobbly ceiling fan. Luckily, this ceiling fan remains silent, that you will hardly realize that there is a fan operating in the house except for the cool breeze it creates.
The pull chain makes things easy for anyone. You only need to pull the chain to control the blades’ speed and switch the fan on or off. However, it would be ideal for the ceiling fan to have a remote control or be Wi-Fi-enabled.
- Reversible blades for use throughout the seasons
- Quiet operation ideal for the home environment
- It has an easy-to-use pull chain for control
- The LED light kit is not included
6. Westinghouse Lasting Ceiling Fan
- Indoor 42 inch LED ceiling fan with light, down rod only installation ideal for small rooms up to 100 square feet (10 feet by 10 feet)
- Gun metal ceiling fan finish with reversible black and graphite finish blades, light kit with opal frosted glass includes two medium base 8 watt (60 watt equivalent) T7 LED bulbs
- Westinghouse ceiling fans feature a high-quality motor, deliver powerful air movement and quiet performance with a reverse function for summer/winter operation
- Fan Performance on High Speed Airflow: 2897 CFM, Energy Usage: 53 W without lights, Airflow Efficiency: 55 CFM/W
- Lifetime motor and two-year on all other parts
The Westing House Ceiling fan is perfect for use in small rooms that measure about 80 square feet. It has a CFM of 1026 that is enough for sufficiently cooling the temperature in such small spaces.
The ceiling fan has three speed settings: high, low, and medium. When set on the high-speed mode, this ceiling fan remains stable and does not produce much noise.
Unlike many other ceiling fan brands, the Westing House ceiling fan comes with a complete LED light kit. The bulbs produce a warm and pleasant light that fills the room where the ceiling is installed. Therefore, you do not have to spend additional funds to purchase a lighting kit for your ceiling fan.
The only problem with this ceiling fan is that it is not suitable for use in large rooms. Its limited CFM rating cannot permit one to install and use it to cool the air in large rooms that measure more than 100 square feet.
- It comes with a LED lighting kit
- The ceiling fan has three fan speeds for personalized cooling
- Easy control using a down rod
- The ceiling fan has a relatively low cooling capacity of 1270CFM
Flush mount ceiling fans are specifically designed for use in homes with low ceilings. They are directly installed on the ceilings and do not come with down rods. When choosing a flush mount ceiling fan, match the fan’s cooling capacity with your room size. You can check the best ceiling fans for 8 foot ceilings as well