Are you looking for the best register booster fan? You’re in the right place. When searching for a booster fan for your register, you need to ensure you select the right product for optimal performance.
Summers can get really hot, especially during the daytime. You can use booster fans in your house to help provide cool air and get rid of the excess heat.
There are plenty of register booster fans on the market, which also includes some that perfectly fit into vent openings. Therefore, trying to determine the best register booster fan for your home can be essentially difficult.
What Is a Duct Booster?
A duct booster also called an AC duct booster is designed to move more air from the HVAC system’s ductwork to the desired space. The fan blades of a duct booster pull conditioned air into a room so that it can reach a comfortable temperature quickly. There are two major types of duct boosters and they include:
- Register fans
- Mid-duct fans
We’ve reviewed many of these in the above section. Register fans are simply small fans on the register in the problematic area of a room. Most of the register fan models come with their own thermostat setting and speed adjustment. You can also control them remotely. Some of the drawdowns of register fans are:
- Too noisy
- They are prone to failure
- Need an electrical cord
- They block vents, thereby end up restricting airflow
These are also known as inline duct fans. They are large and cylindrical, which makes them fit inside the ductwork halfway between the HVAC source and the area with the problem. Some of the disadvantages of mid-duct fans include:
- They need hardwiring or an electrical outlet
- They need a relay back to the HVAC system
- They need an experienced HVAC technician or electrician for installation since the HVAC dust must be exposed for installation.
What Is a Register Booster?
These are small fans that sit directly in or on the register in the problem room. The good thing about a register booster is that it’s easy to install and cheap.
They usually cost less than $100 and they come in different colors. They have their own thermostat and they are also multi-speed, plus you can control them electronically. These ideal features make them easy to use in your home.
Some of the advantages of a register booster are that it can be noisy and prone to frequent burnout. Also, since it comes with an electrical cord, it tends to be cumbersome because you always have to find a way to plug it in.
A register booster doesn’t cure underlying defects but only helps to boost the airflow of your current HVAC system. If you want to properly distribute airflow in your home, register boosters can be an ideal option to consider, since they are efficient, cheap, under-friendly, efficient, and affordable.
Do Register Booster Fans Work?
Absolutely! Register booster fans do work and they can provide you with the best solution. The main objective of register booster fans is to help pull air out of the ductwork and into a room. Although they can’t help you solve the airflow issue on their own, they are a cost-effective way to circumvent more expensive repairs.
However, if your HVAC system happens to have an issue, a register booster fan may have little to no effect in terms of boosting the airflow. Therefore, you need to consider this factor before investing your money into buying this product.
Even if you buy the best register booster fan on the market, you need to ensure your HVAC system is working properly for the booster fan unit to be effective.
How Many CFM Is a Register?
If you have a room with two supply registers, then you will have to divide the base supply CFM between the two registers to find each supply register’s airflow. The living requires a base supply of 180 CFM, which means each supply register is supposed to have 90 CFM.
2000 CFM of air can flow through a 10 x 12 inches rectangular duct, while 100 CFM air can flow through a 6 duct handle. Therefore, you need 50 CFM for 1,000 square feet, 100 CFM for 2,000 square feet, and 150 CFM for 3,000 square feet.
Judging by this calculation, it means you need 1 CFM per square foot or room area. To find the square footage of your room, all you have to do is multiply the length by the width.
Where Should a Duct Booster Fan Be Placed?
If you want optimal performance and minimum noise, the best place to install a duct booster fan is in your in-line duct fan, usually midway or between the blower and the vent that serves the room. For the best installation, you need to seek the assistance of a professional.
An inline duct booster fan mainly helps to pump air through the ductwork in your home. The benefit of an inline booster is that it’s quiet, efficient, but more expensive compared to a register booster fan. Whether the duct booster fan will solve your problem or not depends on the status of your home and HVAC system.
If your ducts are leaking, they are poorly designed, or your HVAC system is not the right size, installing a duct booster fan may not have such a big impact.
How to Buy a Register Booster Fan
Here are some of the things you need to consider, to determine whether what you’re buying is the best register booster fan in the market.
- Size: The first thing you need to consider is the size of your room and the register booster fan you want to buy. Will it be effective enough in that room where you want to use it? That’s a crucial question you need to ask yourself first. This will help you find the right booster suitable for your space.
- Sound: Some booster fans are quiet while others are noisy. Therefore, depending on where you want to use it, ensure you find a register booster fan that won’t be a nuisance to you in your space.
- Features: What are some of the features included in the booster fan you want to buy? Some come with top-notch electrical features and controls, which make them easy to use.
- Installation: It’s important to find out whether it’s easy to install a register booster fan before buying it, to help you save on time and money. Some register boosters are easy to install and portable. It’s highly recommended to look for such units.
Best Register Booster Fan
1. AC Infinity AIRTAP Quiet Register Booster Fan
- A quiet fan system designed for improving wall and floor register airflow from HVAC systems.
- Programmable LCD controller with heating and cooling thermostat, and automated fan speeds.
- Premium aluminum frame with CNC-machined detailing, painted with a matte-white finish.
- Features stator-blade fans which can deliver strong airflow from high static-pressure ductwork.
- Fits ONLY 4 x 10 in. Registers | Airflow: 120 CFM | Noise: 18 Dba | Includes Wall Adapter
The AC Infinity AIRTAP Quiet Register Booster Fan features a quiet fan system that is designed to improve wall and floor register airflow HVAC systems. Not only is this register booster fan efficient, but it’s also quite reliable.
The programmable LCD controller comes with a heating and cooling thermostat, as well as automated fan speeds. There’s also an aluminum frame with CNC-machine detailing, which is painted with a matte white finish.
The AC Infinity AIRTAP Quiet Register Booster Fan features stator-blade fans that deliver strong airflow from high static-pressure ductwork. The good thing about it is that it fits properly in 4 x 10 inches registers.
What makes it easy to use is its plug-and-play feature. The complete kit comes with a fan unit; user manual, thermal probe, and everything you need to mount the register fan and power it through an outlet.
Each system included in the AC Infinity AIRTAP Quiet Register Booster Fan uses a DC-motor with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) controls and dual ball bearings that allow the fan to blow vertically or horizontally. That means you can quietly boost your register’s heating and cooling to have the best comfort in your home.
- Easy to install
- Perfect temperature control
- Easy to use
- Not durable enough
- Tiny fans
- The thermostat may encounter accuracy issues
2. Suncourt Equalizer EZ8 Smart Register Booster Fan
- QUIET & POWERFUL CIRCULATION - Powerful. Quiet. Easy to install. The Suncourt Equalizer EZ8 Smart Register Booster Fan quietly boosts heated or cooled air to improve circulation and comfort in your room. Built to aid weak registers, this equalizer is the perfect year-round solution to monitoring temperatures throughout your home.
- SUSTAINABILITY & FIT - Using only 12.3 watts to operate at 200 CFM, the Equalizer EZ8 is a long-lasting and eco-friendly option. The booster fan fits over any floor or wall register UP TO 6” X 12” (wall mount kit sold separately). With 8 speed settings, you can control the sound and power of your fan with ease.
- SMART TECHNOLOGY - With simple plug and play installation, the Equalizer EZ8 automatically switches on and off with your central heating and air conditioning system. With patent pending self-learning technology, our EZ8 smart booster adapts to your system and functions automatically throughout the year.
- BOOSTS AIRFLOW BY UP TO 300% - Our HC600 model offers 200 CFM, making it the most powerful register booster fan on the market. For weak registers, you can increase your airflow to your room by UP TO 300% when placing this powerful booster fan over your register.
- ASSEMBLED IN USA - We are proud to offer a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty on the EZ8 model. Safe, this is the most versatile and energy-efficient register booster fan on the market. Note: Fits registers sized 2”x10”, 2”12”, 4”x10”, 4”x12”, 6”x10”, and 6”12”.
This Suncourt Equalizer EZ8 Smart Register Booster Fan fits the perfect definition of an efficient and user-friendly product. It is a quiet and the best register booster fan that offers powerful circulation.
The booster fan is easy to install although in some cases it may be difficult to mount. What makes it unique is the fact that it can boost heated or cooled air to improve circulation and comfort in your home.
The register booster fan is specially built to aid weak registers, which makes it perfect for the year-round solution to monitoring temperatures in your home. When it comes to sustainability and fitting, you can fully count on the Suncourt Equalizer EZ8 Smart Register Booster Fan.
It only consumes 12.3 watts to operate at 200 CFM, and it’s also quite durable. What’s more, it’s eco-friendly and fits over any floor or wall register up to 60 x 12 inches.
Unfortunately, it’s not sold with the wall mount kit, which means you’ll have to buy that separately. You can take advantage of the 8-speed settings to control the sound and power of your fan with ease.
A major benefit of the Suncourt Equalizer EZ8 Smart Register Booster Fan is that it can boost airflow up to 300 percent. It also features smart technology that easily adapts to your system and functions automatically throughout the year.
- Smart technology
- Boosts airflow
- It offers value for money
- It requires a few tweaks in the control
- It’s difficult to mount
3. Cyclone 9004150 Automatic Register Booster Fan
The Cyclone 9004150 Automatic Register Booster Fan comes with its drawdowns, but there’s no denying the fact that it’s an efficient and the best register booster fan to consider buying out there. Sure, the disadvantages are there but the benefits outnumber them. The product is constructed from steel material and it’s quite easy to mount.
The dimensions of the Cyclone 9004150 Automatic Register Booster Fan are 5 x 12 x 6 inches, and it can comfortably into any register boot opening that measures 3 x 10 inches, or 4 x 10 inches.
Thanks to its built-in, hidden sensor, you can operate it manually or automatically for any season. Therefore, this unique feature makes the booster fan efficient and very easy to use.
Aside from its user-friendly nature, the Cyclone 9004150 Automatic Register Booster Fan installs faster and features sturdy steel construction and a grounded power cord.
There are also built-in 45-degrees turning vanes to guide air to the center of the room. It’s also quiet and includes a 20-watt low energy crossflow blower.
- Easy to install
- Good quality
- It works great
- Strongly built
- Controls are on the underside
- It doesn’t put out much air
- It may fail to work after long use
4. AirFlow Breeze 1000-0099 Baseboard Booster Fan
- Manual control offers easy, convenient on-off and adjustment control
- Best for in the floor and lower wall installations
- Three speed fan settings provide up to 100 cfm
- Long life brushless, quiet DC fans
- Works with existing central heat & air conditioning system
The AirFlow Breeze 1000-0099 Baseboard Booster Fan is easy to manually adjust, which offers you the convenience of setting it however you want. The adjustment feature makes it easier to use and the good thing about it is that it’s suitable for floor and lower wall installations. Apart from this booster fan being easy to use, it also includes 3 speeds fan settings that offer up to 100 CFM.
The long-life brushless, quiet DC fans also make this best register booster fan efficient and ideal to use in your home or workplace. It can run quietly as you sleep in your bedroom or work in your office. It works with the existing central heat and air conditioning system. Therefore, if you want that extra comfort, you can rely on the AirFlow Breeze 1000-0099 Baseboard Booster Fan.
This baseboard booster fan helps to increase the flow of warm or cool air in your space. The thermostat-controlled fans can be easily attached to the walls to replace your current baseboard register vent cover features.
Its lightweight feature also makes it easy to carry and move from one place to another. The provided manual controls offer convenience to users and the quality of the AirFlow Breeze 1000-0099 Baseboard Booster Fan makes it worth buying.
- Easy to install
- Easy to use
- 3 speeds fan
- It offers comfort
- The plastic is thin and cheap
- It needs to be cut into baseboards to install properly
4. Tjernlund RB10 Register Booster Fan
This easy-to-install Tjernlund RB10 Register Booster Fan is ideal for any home or office. It features an excellent design that offers you the flexibility of use, and the good news is that the blower wheels are screened to protect small fingers and block debris. It conveniently plugs into a standard 120V outlet and also has a paintable commercial-grade grill.
Another included feature is the 6-ft power cord, which makes it easier to plug the Tjernlund RB10 Register Booster Fan from across the room. It’s a metal and high-velocity register fan that can help to increase weak airflow from registers faster and easily. However, there is no access to a duct install the register booster fan.
The Tjernlund RB10 Register Booster Fan offers a quiet operation, and the cross-flow blower outperforms prop blade register booster fans. You have the option of running it continuously for optimal performance, plus it’s available in brown and white-colored floor grilles. The register booster fan is made from metal material and includes a built-in on/off switch.
- Easy to install
- Easy to use
- Excellent design
- It features a paintable commercial-grade grill
- The unit has a high pit whine
- Short lifespan
5. iPower 2-Pack Silent 6 inch Booster Fan
- Applications: help to boost airflow in HVAC units to remove exhausts and odors from kitchens & workshops and ventilate basements & attics, etc. Also great used as intake fan to bring fresh air into grow rooms
- Advantages: superior balanced blades for long service life & quiet operation. Motor features a permanently lubricated bearing that operates quietly and requires no maintenance
- High Safety: with insulating coating, high safety factor. Portable and lightweight, sufficient 4.9' grounded power cord
- Specification: diameter: 6 inch; air flow: 174 CFM; speed: 2800 RPM; voltage: 110-120V; wattage: 37 W; max operating temp of motor is 130℃/ 66℉; max ambient temp is 60℃/140℉
- Note: if any other materials/particles get into the duct fan and get the blade stuck, users are to turn off the power immediately, clean it up, turn the power back on when handled properly
The iPower 2-Pack Silent 6-inch Booster Fan is well designed to help boost airflow in HVAC units and remove exhausts and odors from kitchens, workshops, and even ventilate attics and basements.
It’s an ideal booster that has a lot to offer users due to its efficiency and high-quality features. Another benefit of this best register booster fan is that it’s portable and lightweight. That means you can easily carry and move it from one room to another in your home or workplace.
The booster fan also features superior balanced blades, which offer long service and quiet operation. However, sometimes it can be too loud. The motor features a permanently lubricated bearing that operates quietly and only requires less maintenance.
In terms of safety, the manufacturers of the iPower 2-Pack Silent 6-inch Booster Fan made sure users are well taken care of since there’s an insulating coating that offers a high safety factor. Additionally, there’s a sufficient 4.9’ grounded power cord and the booster only consumes about 110 to 120V.
The diameter of the iPower 2-Pack Silent 6-inch Booster Fan measures 6 inches and it produces an airflow of 174 CFM at a speed of 2800 RPM.
You can use it in grow rooms as an intake fan to bring fresh air, or use it as an exhaust fan in smaller setups with LEDs or lights under 400W. You can also use it in bathrooms and kitchens to help boost the HVAC units, remove exhaust and odors.
- It boosts airflow in HVAC units
- It is easy to install and use
- Not durable enough
The best register booster fan comes with plenty of benefits and can offer you maximum performance and efficiency. Therefore, it’s important to be cautious when making your purchase to ensure you get the right product that will offer you value for your money.
If you have any questions or comments you can write in the comments section below, or simply reach me through email.