Kerosene is a much cheaper fuel source than electricity. If you use a kerosene heater, you’ll likely spend $70 less to operate it during the winter season than electric heaters.
While kerosene units are more efficient than electric models, not all of them are created equal. Some will be feature-packed than others, some will produce more heat than others, and some will be more efficient than others.
If you want to save even more money while heating your home, you must find the most efficient kerosene heater. According to Department of Energy projections, these kerosene units can help you save between $100 to $600 depending on your room’s size and geographic location.
Check out these kerosene heaters and pick one depending on your needs.
Are Kerosene Heaters Efficient?
Kerosene heaters are more efficient than electric space heaters and other types of heaters. Kerosene is cheaper than electricity. You will pay higher amounts for using an electric heater as a supplemental heat source in your house than when using a kerosene heater.
Besides, kerosene heaters tend to have higher heating capacities than electric heaters. The inbuilt fan in kerosene heaters ensures the effective distribution of heat across large indoor and outdoor spaces.
Therefore, the relatively high heating capacity and the low operational and maintenance costs of kerosene heaters make them more efficient than electric heaters.
How Long will a Gallon of Kerosene Burn?
Although kerosene heaters have different sizes of tanks, the larger types can hold 1.2 liters when full. A 1.2-gallon fuel tank can keep a heater running for up to 14 hours.
This means that 1.2 gallons of fuel can be used to provide warmth for 14 hours. Therefore, one gallon of kerosene can keep a heater on for 11.6 hours.
Remember that the rate at which a heater burns fuel depends on the settings. If you keep the heater at a high-temperature setting, then the quality of consumption of fuel will be correspondingly high.
Always use high-quality kerosene for maximum efficiency. Using 1K-grade fuel is more efficient than utilizing lower-grade types that retail at low prices.
Here are small kerosene heaters for maximum efficiency
Is It Safe to Leave a Kerosene Heater On All Night?
It is not safe to leave a kerosene heater on all night. Ideally, do not leave a kerosene heater unattended even during the day. This is because when you use the heaters, you assume a certain degree of risks, including fires, explosions, and even carbon monoxide poisoning.
Although it is possible to take all safety precautions when using a kerosene heater indoors, it always advisable to turn it off at night before going to bed. Failure to do so may expose you and everyone else inside a room to the risks of using kerosene heaters.
Does Kerosene Burn Cleaner than Diesel?
Kerosene burns cleaner than diesel because of its properties. Kerosene is designated as the number 1 fuel because it is lighter than other types, including diesel.
Because of its light nature, kerosene produces much less energy than diesel when burned. A gallon of kerosene produces 135,000 BTUs of energy while that of diesel produces 139,000 BTUs.
Furthermore, kerosene produces less soot and other byproducts of the combustion process, including Sulphur dioxide and carbon monoxide gases than other fuels.
Its chemical composition is less complex than that of other fuels, including diesel. The difference in the weight and level of chemical complexity are the reasons why kerosene burns cleaner than diesel and different types of fuels.
Most Efficient Kerosene Heaters
1. Dura Heat Indoor Kerosene Heater
Thanks to its remarkable heating capacity, the Dura Heat Indoor Kerosene heater is one of the most efficient kerosene heaters.
With a BTU rating of 23,000, the heater can provide sufficient heat to warm large indoor and outdoor spaces. Moreover, it can provide warmth and light during cold winter nights when an interruption in power supply occurs.
You will find it convenient to use this heater because the control knobs are appropriately positioned on its surface. You can get the heater up and running or switch it off at the flip of a switch.
This control level makes it easy for you to switch the heater off when leaving the house and getting back on and running when you get back.
The only significant drawback of using this heater is that its surface becomes very hot after some time. You will have to keep your kids and pets away from the heater to avoid burns and related accidents.
- Excellent heating capacity, thanks to a 23,000 BTU rating
- Easy control because the buttons are positioned for easy reach
- The 360 degrees design provides effective heating
- Its surface and the guard become very hot
2. Sengoku HeatMate 10,000-BTU Portable Indoor/Outdoor Omni-Radiant Kerosene Heater
- Perfect for emergency heating or zone heating of rooms up to 380 square feet
- The large capacity 1.2 gallon/4.5 liter fuel tank will keep you warm for up to 14 hours on one fill
- Features an automatic safety shut off, easy push button start (no matches or electricity required), EZ Flame adjuster, tip over switch, and protective safety grills.
- This heater is also great for outdoor usage on patio, deck, gazebo and other recreational areas
- It’s new burner design protects from the wind and ensures proper performance.
- Ideal for both everyday supplemental heating and emergency situations
- Portable 10,000-BTU kerosene heater for rooms up to 380 square feet
- Automatic push-button ignition; 1.2-gallon fuel capacity provides 12 to 14 hours of heat
- Ideal for both everyday supplemental heating and emergency situations
- Fuel gauge; automatic safety shut-off; siphon pump and batteries included
The Sengoku HeatMate is designed to heat small indoor and outdoor spaces that measure up to 380 square feet. It features a specially-designed burner that can withstand strong winds and other elements’ effect and continue delivering excellent heating performance.
Additionally, the heater is very portable because of its compact design, small footprint, and large grills. Moreover, it has large grills at its bottom to maximize its stability. This feature reduces the chances of the heater falling when it is accidentally knocked.
The Sengoku HeatMate has all the safety features that you would expect to find in a high-quality kerosene heater. The automatic switch prevents the occurrence of explosions if the temperature of the heater rises rapidly. The tip-over switch, which is activated when the heater falls, prevents fires if the fuel spills.
Despite its excellent level of portability and inbuilt safety features, this has several weaknesses. The most significant one relates to its 10,000 BTU rating.
This capacity is the lowest level for kerosene heaters that are currently available on the market. Although the heater can properly warm indoor and outdoor spaces, its usefulness is limited to small areas.
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor heating because of its portability and heating strength
- It has advanced safety features, including automatic shutoff
- Highly portable for convenience and ease of use
- Small heating capacity of 1,000 BTU rating that is suitable for small spaces only
3. Sengoku KeroHeat 23,500-BTU Indoor/Outdoor Portable Convection Kerosene Heater, CV-23K
- Excellent emergency heat source
- No matches or electricity needed
- Heats approximately a 1000 square foot room
- Fuel capacity of 1.9 gallons
- 1.9 gallons of kerosene will provide 12 hours of heat
- Push button start, EZ flame adjuster and automatic shut off
The Sengoku KeroHeat is a versatile and highly efficient kerosene heater ideal for large indoor and outdoor locations.
With a massive fuel capacity of 1.9 gallons, a sturdy design, and the presence of protective grills, this heater can withstand all the challenges of being used outdoors. You can rely on it to provide warmth for more than 15 hours after one fill of the fuel tank.
This heater comes with all the accessories that you would need for convenient use, including four C batteries and a manual siphon pump. The manual siphon pumps help in the safe and clean transfer of kerosene to the heater.
The automatic ignition system and EZ flame adjuster enhance the level of convenience and efficiency of the heater. By properly adjusting the flame, you can ensure that the heater burns all the fuel and air mixture in the proper ratio.
This simple trick minimizes the production of toxic gases and soot and provides the effective conversion of fuel to heat.
- The heater has a long runtime of more than 12 hours because of a massive 1.9 fuel tank
- Excellent 360-degrees heating performance ideal for providing heat across entire spaces
- The EZ flame adjuster and automatic switch improves convenience and efficiency
- Its narrow base does not provide adequate protection if the heater is knocked over.
4. Dyna-Glo RMC-95C6B Indoor Kerosene Convection Heater
- 23,000 BTU/hour
- Heats up to 1,000 SQ.FT.
- NO ELECTRICITY NEEDED
- Save on utility bills!
- Dependable - Ideal for emergency use or daily use
- Economical – Cut heating bills by warming only occupied areas
- Convenient - Easy to use automatic ignition and one-touch shut-off
If you are looking for a highly effective kerosene heater for warming spaces such as basements, cabins, garages, and RVs, then the Dyna-Glo RMC-95C6B may be the ideal choice. It is designed for warming large areas that measure up to 1,000 square feet.
Furthermore, it is easy to move the heater around and provide zonal heating in larger areas. By so doing, one can have a warm and comfortable space without wasting much money on fuel or even electricity.
It is straightforward to use this heater even in emergencies. The automatic ignition and one-touch shut-off system saves time and helps get the heater on or off instantly.
Sadly, this heater has shorter runtimes than those of many others with similar heating capacity. Some kerosene heaters with 23,000 BTU-rating have runtimes of more than 12 hours while the Dyna-Glo RMC-95C6B can provide warmth for only 11 hours when its tank is full. This small difference may be significant in emergencies or when you need heat outdoors for long periods.
- It can be used for zonal heating for efficiency
- Suitable for heating spaces that are as large as 1,000 square feet
- The automatic ignition system and one-touch shut off system maximizes the ease of use
- Relatively low runtime of 11 hours
5. Avenger Portable Kerosene Multi-Fuel Heater
- ASSEMBLED IN USA - Product is proudly assembled in the USA. Skilled American workers manufacture the parts, assemble, and test our products. Only high-quality materials and parts are used in the manufacturing of our products. Our factory features state of the art manufacturing equipment.
- TECHNOLOGY - 125, 000 BTU True multifuel capable, Can use kerosene, #1 and #2 diesel fuel, #1 and #2 fuel oil and JP8/Jet. This Heater can Heats up to 3000 sq. ft Area.
- DEPENDABLE - Thermostat control offers the most customizable heat settings, ideal for greater heat flow that adds a warm atmosphere to your environment.
- STYLISH - Sturdy grip handle and portable design allow you to bring the heat to the garage, barn, or any job site with suitable ventilation.
- SAFE - Patented glow plug ignition system. Thermostat offers easy heat adjustments between 40-95 °F. Agency certified for outdoor use.
- 1 Year Limited .
The FBD125T can be a powerful heating solution for large outdoor spaces because of its exceptional performance, ease of customization, and general design. It has two large wheels and a handle to ease mobility. Therefore, one can move the heater to any position to provide zonal heating.
This heater is exceptional because it is genuinely multifuel capable. You can conveniently use kerosene, diesel, and jet fuel in this heater to provide warmth.
Apart from the ability to warm large areas and utilize different fuel types, the FBD125T has advanced controls that you can use to personalize its performance.
One can use the thermostat to determine the heating level of this device according to the environment’s requirements. Also, you can choose the ideal heating temperature from a broad range of from 40 degrees Fahrenheit to 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
However, you cannot use this heater in an indoor environment. Its massive heating capacity and sturdy design features are ideal for commercial-level heating at sites for outdoor activities.
- You can customize its performance using a thermostat and by selecting from an extensive heating range
- Highly portable because of the wheels and a sturdy handle
- Massive heating capacity of 123,000 BTU is enough for spaces as large as 3,000 square feet
- Designed for outdoor use only
A kerosene heater is an important type of space heaters to include in your winter heating plan. The most efficient kerosene heater will not only reduce your heating bills but also helpful during power outages.
If you use them as per the manufacturer’s guidelines, kerosene heaters are safe and will help keep your home comfortable and your energy costs lower.