From biting cold temperatures to endless storms, winters can be brutal. Lounging next to a warm hearth on frosty evenings makes the experience a bit more enjoyable.
Unfortunately, most fireplaces don’t produce enough heat to warm up the entire room to the desired temperature levels. This is especially true when indoor temperatures fall to the lower teens and perhaps even below the 10-degree mark. At that point, you need something special to generate enough heating power to fend off the chills.
What’s worse, traditional masonry fireplaces can be relatively inefficient. Although very attractive, they tend to lose a lot of heat through the chimney.
Instead of containing the heat within the home, some of it ends up outside the house, leaving people in the home grappling with cold spots and generally low heat levels.
The fireplace blower or furnace blower solves both of these problems. It helps circulate air throughout the room, thus maintaining higher average indoor temperatures.
The temperature levels also remain more consistent throughout the day. Secondly, the fireplace blower system helps prevent the loss of hot air. The rest of this guide is designed to help you pick out the best and quietest blower fan for your needs.
How Fireplace Blower Fan Works
The blower fan is a particular fan system designed to circulate warm air back into the room. As air from the room moves through the convective air chambers, heat is transferred from the hot surfaces. The blower fan system then kicks in to circulate the warm air back into the room.
The bower system also draws cool air into the heater through a vented panel. The air is then circulated the hot firebox, absorbing some of the heat in the process.
The fan then pushes the now-warm air back into the room, through a second vent system or a louvered opening at the top of the fireplace, and helps circulate it throughout the area.
It’s important to remember that not all fireplaces are designed for use with blower fans. Most manufacturers indicate clearly if the fireplace model can be used with a blower fan, so make sure to read the user manual. It will also indicate the type of blower system recommended for that specific fireplace.
Types of Blower Kits
Not all fireplace blower kits are created equal. The manufacturer will tell you the ideal type for your fireplace. Nevertheless, the following are four popular options;
Variable-Speed Control Blower Kits
These blower systems require a rheostat variable speed control, which allows the user to control the revolutions per minute (RPM) of the blower’s motor. By controlling the speed of the blowing process, you can control both air flow and noise output.
Thermostat Blower Systems
These units work by opening and closing a circuit at two predetermined temperatures (often 90 degrees and 120 degrees, respectively). They are used where the fireplace doesn’t include a wall switch to control the fireplace’s electrical outlet. The thermostat steps in to control the blower’s on-off operation.
High-Temperature Wired Blower Systems
Most thermostat limit switches are mounted flush underneath the firebox. However, some thermostats must be mounted in a way that allows for the high-temperature rated wire.
Ball vs. Sleeve-Bearing Blower Kits
Finally, fireplace blower kits can also be ball or sleeve-bearing. Most kits use sleeve bearing components because of their longevity. There are typically three bearings in the blower assembly. However, sleeve bearing models are quieter. The only downside is that sleeve bearings wear out faster, typically over several months.
Benefits of Fireplace Blowers
There’s an ongoing debate as to whether fireplace blowers ad to comfort levels in the home. The answer is yes. The following are some of the ways a blower system contributes to improved indoor comfort;
- Heating efficiency: Space heating is only effective if the heat reaches all the corners of the home. If the heat is concentrated in one area, it doesn’t help much. Fireplace blower systems are designed primarily for this purpose – to help get heat to every corner of the home. No more cold spots.
- Lower heating costs: More uniform heating means you don’t need to adjust the thermostat upward to achieve the desired temperature settings in every corner of the room. By contrast, if you have cold spots in the room, you may need to increase the heat setting to achieve the desired setting throughout the home.
- Cut down on central heat dependency: This is another key benefit. As we mentioned initially, traditional masonry heaters are potent heat sources but tend to lose a lot of heat through the chimney. This often means that you have to turn to supplementary heat sources, especially the central heating system. Bringing in a blower system allows you to get more heat from the fireplace so that you can reduce your reliance on the central heating system.
How Many CFM Do I Need for Fireplace Blower?
The manufacturer will tell you the ideal CFM range if you decide to invest in a fireplace blower. However, there are other formulas to keep in mind.
One calculation that tends to work well is to allocate 100 CFM for every 12″ of fireplace width. Therefore, a fireplace with a 30-inch width would require a 250 CFM fan.
Alternatively, remember that fireplace blower kits come in two universal sizes – 75 CFM and 150 CFM. You should opt for the 75 CFM blower system if your fireplace is 2 7/8 x 3 ½ x 91/2 (inches) and the 150 CFM model if your fireplace is 2 7/8 x 3 ½ x 16 (inches). These are universal dimensions.
Why is My Fireplace Blower Loud?
First off, it’s important to understand that all fireplace blower systems produce “noise” to a degree. What varies is the level of noise from one model to the next.
While others only produce minimal sounds that disappear into the background noise, others may be annoyingly loud to the point of being irritating.
You can take several steps to quieten a loud fireplace blower, including adding more return air ducts, building an air furnace sound insulation, and bringing in a more silent replacement fireplace system.
Secondly, a quiet blower system can also become noisy after a period of use owing to wear and tear. As a result, you may hear loud, screeching/rattling sounds, squealing sounds, rattling, and scraping.
The noises are typically caused by dirty burners, a faulty heat exchanger, a damaged blower wheel, and a loose or damaged blower belt/motor.
Regular maintenance can help prevent these noises. If the noise persists, don’t hesitate to call in an HVAC professional to look at the fireplace and blower system.
How to Replace the Fireplace Blower
If even after professional diagnosis and repair, the blower system is still making loud, unsettling noises, it might be time to replace it. Fortunately, replacing the fireplace blower system is a straightforward process.
- Order a replacement: Identify the furnace blower by snapping a photo or it. Then order a replacement.
- Pull out the old blower fan: Lift the fireplace’s front panel straight up to unhook it from side pins. Then pull it out and set it aside.
- Suck out the dust bunnies: You’ll need a shop vacuum for this. Make sure to clean the area in front of the old blower.
- Slide out the old blower: The blower system easily pulls out from the front of the fireplace. Make sure to rotate it, so it clears the grille opening.
- Position the new blower system: Roll it through the grille area and position it pointing upward. Don’t forget to push it to the back of the fireplace until it hits the wall. Once you’re done, test out the new blower fan to make sure it’s working correctly.
Quietest Fireplace Blower
1. Tjernlund 950-3306 Quiet Fireplace Blower Replacement Fan
This professional-grade tangential fan blower is one of the popular products in distributing heat from fireplaces and stoves.
It’s a tranquil fan system that won’t be heard over the crackling fire. It’s also small enough to fit the fan space in most heaters. Above all, the wiring is simple. Add a cord, and you’re set.
The 10-inch blower is designed and certified for frustration-free use. It has speed control features and an adjustable switch to make your work easy. The 8-inch blower wheel rotates at 75 CFM and produces just 1.4 sones of noise.
- The very quiet blower fan
- Excellent for gas inserts
- It works as a replacement fan
- 60,000-hour motor life
- Best for smaller fireplaces
2. AIRBLAZE T12 Universal Fireplace Blower Fan Kit
- A quiet blower fan kit with smart controls, designed to boost airflow coming from your fireplace.
- Being a standard size, it can replace blowers found in Lennox, Hearth Glo, Majestic, Rotom, and other fireplaces.
- Programmable controller features temperature triggers, countdown timers, alarms, and 10 fan speeds.
- Features a DC-motor controlled using PWM for a truly quiet and energy efficient performance.
- Includes Wall Adapter | Dims.: 12.6 x 4.0 x 3.6 in. | Airflow: 160 CFM | Noise: 28 Dba | Bearings: Dual Ball
Another very quiet blower fan, the Model T12 from AIRBLAZE, draws air from the bottom vents, heats it through the furnace, and forces it out of the top vents into the room.
It’s a standard-sized blower system that can replace many existing blowers found in popular fireplace brands such as Lennox, Hearth Glow, and Majestic.
The fan features an LCD screen with a smart thermostat and humidity programming. A corded sensor plugs into the controller to deliver humidity, and temperature readings is also included.
The unit is built with heavy-duty materials, including cold-rolled steel, for long-serving.
- Highly-efficient PWM controlled motor
- Very quiet operation (28dBA)
- Powerful 160 CFM operation
- Dual ball bearings
- Plug-and-play use
- Wall adapter included
- It’s one of the pricier options
3. FireBlowersOnline GFK160KIT Fireplace Blower Kit with Ball Bearing
- Kit includes dual blower unit, 3-prong power cord, rheostat variable speed controller, automatic thermostat and 2-prong adapter
- Comes fully assembled and pre-wired. Easy DIY installation. Instructions included. 1 year comprehensive warranty. Assembled and tested in Racine, WI USA
- Total Length = 12 3/4" Height = 4 1/16" Width = 4 3/4" | 180 CFM, 3000 RPM, 120 Volts, 60 Hertz, CCW Rotation, Class H Motor Insulation (rated to 392°F / 200°C)
- High Quality Sealed Ball Bearing Motor - Powerful, Quiet, Superbly Balanced, Energy Efficient and Long Lasting
- Does it fit your fireplace? See our compatibility chart in description. Makes for an excellent universal fit blower kit! If you don't see your model listed or have installation questions, please contact us directly.
This dual-blower system is a 180-CFM fan that’s large enough to suit larger fireplaces. It’s a ball-bearing motor blower. It’s a very powerful blower that’s superbly balanced while remaining noise-free. It’s also energy-efficient and long-lasting.
The blower comes fully assembled and pre-wired, so you don’t need to worry about those two processes. All the wiring and testing is done in the USA.
The kit also includes a 3-prong power cord, 2-prong adapter, rheostat variable speed controller, and automatic thermostat. It’s backed by a one-year warranty.
- It’s a replacement blower for many brands
- Powerful 180 CFM, 3,000 RPM performance
- Class H Motor Insulation
- Durable build
- 1-year warranty
- The many parts can be confusing
4. FABRICASTLE Fireplace Blower Dual Inlet Quiet, Efficient, High Airflow
This dual-inlet FABRICASTLE is a unique blower system designed as a universal replacement for most gas fireplace brands, including models from Hearth & Home, Quadra-Fire, Heat and Glo, and GTI.
The motor is thermally protected to guard against overheating. It moves air at 155 CFM at 3000 RPM and is built with durable parts to serve you for a long time.
The package includes a 3-prong power cord set, 65-inch in length, with nylon insulated female lugs and ring terminals. A spare harness is also included. Simple wiring is needed to mount the unit onto your fireplace.
- Compact magnetic thermostat
- Powerful at 155 CFM, 3000 RPM
- Plugs into a standard power outlet
- Power cord included
- Wiring is needed
- Single-speed design
5. Mr. KAN DFK-160A Fireplace Stove Blower Fan Kit
- [Improve Heat Distribution]: The Replacement GFK-160A Heat N Glo Fan Kit Can Move Heat Around The Whole Room, Powerful, Quiet, Energy Efficient and Better Ventilation.
- [Parts Include]: The Replacement Blower KIT Includes A Blower Unit, 3-Prong Power Cord, Variable Speed Control, Magnetic Thermostat, Installation instructions.
- [Model Features]: Blower Total Length = 12 7/8" Height = 4 1/4" Width = 4 1/4"; 100% Sealed Ball Bearing Motor; 160 CFM, 3000 RPM, 120 Volts, 60 Hertz.
- [Fit Models]: The GFK-160 Blower Fan Kit Fits Heat N Glo Moldes Series, Quadra-Fire Models, GTI Models, Heatilator Models; Cross Reference Numbers: Regency Wood Stove Insert 846515; Royal GFK-160; Jakel; Rotom # R7-RB168 (2016 model)
- [Important Note]: Before Ording, Please See Our Compatibility Chart in Description. Please Compare the Dimensions Listed With Your Original, to Ensure Proper Fitment.
This Mr. KAN is also a dual-blower system – with a center-mounted motor. It moves air at 160 CFM and rotates at 3000 RPM – more than sufficient for most standard applications. The unit plugs into the standard 120V power outlet and is Motor UL approved.
The package includes the blower fan unit, a 3-prong power cord, rheostat variable speed control, and magnetic thermostat. A wiring harness is also included as well as installation instructions. Remember that some furnaces don’t need the green earth wire.
- Variable-speed blower
- Powerful 160 CFM performance
- Wiring harness included
- Installation instructions included
- Fits only specified brands and products
6. VICOOL GFK-160 GFK-160A Fireplace Blower Kit
- Fits Fireplace Brands (Find MODELS in Product description): Heat N Glo, Heatilator, Quadra-Fire, GTI. [ Please note Temperature switch (magnetic thermostat) closes (turn on) at approximately 120°F and opens (shut off) at approximately 90°F (+/- 5°F tolerance).]
- Includes blower fan unit, 3-prong power cord, universal connecting wire (The green earth wire may not needed in some circumstances), rheostat & thermostat, installation instructions.
- Dual blowers with center mounted motor; Total Length = 12 7/8" Height = 4 1/4" Width = 4 1/4"; Motor RPM: 3000 ; Airflow in C.F.M: 160 ; Volts: 120 ; Frequency (hertz): 60; 1.0A; Noise Level: 75 dB (MAX)
- Cross Reference Part #: GFK-160, GFK-160A, GFK-160B, Fasco 7002-1241, A133, 3315, Rotom R7-RB168 R7-RB168B, HB-RB168, R7-RB27, HB-RB50, HB-RB166 HB-RB167, Regency Wood Stove 846515, FK26 Dutchwest, Stardance, SNV30, FAB-1600, FK-180 (Osburn, Valley Comfort, Pacific), P168DBB
- NOTE: All replacement blowers are aftermarket, not OEM equipment. Please be sure to compare the dimensions listed with your original, to ensure proper fitment. Make sure you have the space to fit the fan.
This blower from VICOOL has been in the market for six years now (since 2014) and remains one of the most sought after fireplace blower systems.
For one, it’s the perfect replacement blower for multiple products from several top fireplace brands, including GTI, Heat N Glo, Quadra-Fire, and GTI. Secondly, it’s very powerful at 160 CFM and 3000 RPM.
The blower kit includes a 3-prong power cord, universal connecting wire, a rheostat, and a thermostat. Installation instructions are also provided. The dual-blower system is rated 60 Hz and plugs into a 120V outlet.
- Dual-blower system
- Complete installation kit
- Powerful 160 CFM, 3000 RPM output
- Very quiet operation
- It’s one of the pricier models
- May not fit certain products
7. P-Tech GFK-160 GFK-160A Fireplace Blower Kit
Priced at just over $100, the GFK-160 blower kit from P-Tech is a universal replacement fireplace blower for most gas fireplace products and brands.
It’s the most powerful performer on this list, rated at 175 CFM and 3000 RPM. It plugs into the standard household power outlet and is rated 60Hz and 1.0 amperes.
The blower kit includes a thermo-disk with mounting plate, speed control, mounting wires, necessary installation hardware, and an installation guide.
The blower works on most gas fireplaces from Heat N Glo, Kozi Stoves, Hearth & Home, and Quadra-Fire.
- Universal replacement blower
- Powerful at 175 CFM
- Mounting hardware included
- Installation manual included
- No mention of warranty
8. DuraBlow GFK-160 Fireplace stove Blower Complete Kit
- ★★★ IMPORTANT: Please make sure this item fits in your fireplace, see size and models in images. ★ Fits Fireplace Brands (Find MODELS in IMAGES): Heat & Glo, Heat N Glo, Heatilator, Majestic, Superior ;★ The "Fits" BRAND and MODEL # are Reference ONLY! Please CHECK the Size & Ratings of your originals BEFORE buying.
- ★ Competitor Cross Reference Part #: GFK-160, GFK-160A, GFK-160B, Fasco 7002-1241, A133, 3315, Rotom R7-RB168 R7-RB168B, HB-RB168, R7-RB27, HB-RB50, HB-RB166 HB-RB167, Regency Wood Stove 846515, FK26 Dutchwest, Stardance, SNV30, FAB-1600, FK-180 (Osburn, Valley Comfort, Pacific), P168DBB
- ★ Included with Purchase Ball bearing dual blower, Pre-wired harness for easy installation, Rheostat variable speed control, Magnetic thermostat, 3-prong power cord, Noise reduction padding, Velcro, Rubber mounting feet to reduce noise and vibration, Installation instructions
- ★ Length x Width x Height (Inches): 12.75 x 4.5 x 4.5 ; Insulation: Class H (rated to 392F / 200C) ; Motor RPM: 3000 ; Airflow in C.F.M: 160 ; Volts: 120 ; Frequency (hertz): 60 ; Power Consumption (watts): 60 ; Power Cord Length (inches): 75 ; Rheostat: YES ; Thermostat: YES, Temperature: Activate at 120°F / 50°C, shutoff at 90°F / 32°C ; Material: Aluminum + Galvanized Steel ; Packaging Materials: Shipping box, Bubble Wrap, Foam ; Certifications: Rheostat, Thermostat, Motor UL Approved.
- ★ Improved structure for lower noise level; Balanced fan blades for NO vibration. Universal type for most real fire flame / gas fireplace.
The first thing you need to know is that this blower doesn’t fit all fireplaces. So, make sure to check if it fits your fireplace. Other than that, you can rest assured that it’s an excellent blower.
It moves heat at 160 CFM and rotates at 3000 RPM. You don’t need a special power outlet as it plugs into the standard household outlet.
The power cord (60 inches) is included as well as a rheostat and thermostat. It’s made from durable galvanized steel + aluminum. A pre-wired harness for an easy installation is also supplied with the blower kit.
- 75-inch power cord included
- 160 CFM, 3000 RPM
- Meets UL, CE, FCC standards
- 28-month warranty
- Wiring can be confusing
- Fits only specified fireplaces
9. Hongso GFK-160 GFK-160A Fireplace Blower Kit with Ball Bearing Motor
- 👉 Hongso Replacement Fireplace Blower Fan KIT for Heat N Glow GFK-160A; Regency Wood Stove Insert 846515; Royal GFK-160; Jakel; Rotom # R7-RB168 (2016 model)
- 👉 Dual Blower Fans with Center Mounted Ball Bearings Motor; Right-angled Stand, the direction of the wind can be adjusted with 90 degrees; 3-prong Power Cord, universal connecting wires, rheostat & thermostat, installation instructions. 👉It is not pre wired, easy to install with the installation instructions and wiring diagram
- 👉 Universal fit blower kit; High Quality, Powerful, Quiet, Superbly Balanced, Energy Efficient and Long Lasting
- 👉 Total Length = 12 7/8" Bracket Height=4 5/8" Width = 4 1/4"; Motor RPM: 3000 ; Airflow in C.F.M: 160 ; Volts: 120 ; Frequency (hertz): 60; 1.0A；Certifications: Motor UL Approved
- 👉 NOTE: The "Fits" BRAND and MODEL # Listed in the Product description are Reference ONLY! Make sure you measure the size of your original blowers and compare with the replacements BEFORE you order. 👉If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us, we will reply within 24 hours
The Hongso replacement fireplace blower kit GFK-160 is designed for four specific fireplace models, i.e., the Heat N Glow GFK-160A, Regency Wood Stove Insert 846515, Royal GFK-160, and Rotom #R7-RB168 (2016 model).
It’s a dual-blower system with a center-mounted ball bearing motor. The stand is right-angled, but the wind direction can be adjusted 90 degrees.
The kit includes universal connecting wires, a 3-prong power cord, rheostat, thermostat, and installation instructions.
- Powerful 160 CFM, 3000 RPM blower
- Plugs into a standard household outlet
- High-quality sealed ball bearings
- Motor UL approved
- It’s not pre-wired
- No mention of warranty
10. HYCO FK24 Fireplace Blower Fan
- ❄【HANDS-FREE & FASHION】 Hand free fan was designed as necklace style to free your hands anywhere; This cute fan is 2021 upgrade patent fan, card camera-like fashion design makes you look so cool. With an adjustable length lanyard, you can hang this mini fan around your neck and take it everywhere, without hindering your hands from doing anything else. It's ideal for personal cooling, camping, gym, climbing, outdoor event, trips, office. The best gift for your friends, family and loved ones.
- ❄【UNIQUE 3 IN 1 DESIGN】 It is not only a necklace fan, but also a misting fan, and a desk fan. The fan has a built-in 20ml water tank, turn on the spray alone, it instantly becomes a beauty humidifier or a facial mister that prevents your skin from drying out; Turn on the spray and the small fan at the same time, it instantly becomes a small air conditioner that can make you cool up quickly. The back of the mist fan has a small hidden design bracket, open the bracket, it becomes a table fan.
- ❄【USB RECHARGEABLE & 3 SPEED WIND】 USB rechargeable fan, convenient to charge via computer, cell phone charger, power bank, laptops, etc. The battery is removable, with MSDS certification, safe and reliable, takes about 1~2 hours to fully charge, and can provide 2 to 5 working hours duration (depend on different speeds). This fan has a powerful wind. 3 wind speeds can be adjusted at will to meet any needs of you.
- ❄【ERGONOMIC DESIGN AND PORTABILITY】 With a breathable lanyard, you can adjust its length as needed; compact design mini fan, weighing only 5.6 ounces; these advantages can make you not feel tired or uncomfortable and won’t hurt your neck even for long time wearing. Say goodbye to hot flashes, sweating, and flushing. This pocket fan is very small in size and easily fits into your bag, very portable.
- ❄【EASY TO USE & SATISFACTION GUARANTEE】 This personal fan has 2 separate buttons, one button controls the wind speed, long press the button to turn on the fan, short press to adjust the wind speed and turn off; one button controls the mist, long press the button to turn on the mist, short press the button to turn off the mist. If you have any problems with our product, please contact us first, we will solve it for you within 24 hours. Your satisfaction is our mission.
Finally, this blower system from HYCO is designed for Majestic, Vermont castings, CFM, and Monessen Hearth Systems fireplaces.
It includes the blower unit, a speed control module, thermodisc assembly, and mounting brackets. Also included are noise reduction padding and installation instructions.
The blower moves air at 118 CFM and is rated 3000 RPM. It plugs into the standards power outlet and consumes 31 watts. Also, it has a flange opening of 9 ½ inches and meets insulation Class B requirements.
- Reasonably priced
- Lightweight at 4.5 pounds
- Motor UL approved
- Made from durable aluminum + galvanized steel
- Fits only specific fireplace models
Whether it’s a gas or wood model, your fireplace can operate with or without a blower fan. In this setup, the heating process relies exclusively on natural forces (convection and radiation) to transfer heat from the source to people in the room.
However, a few fireplace models allow you to add a blower fan. The addition of this fan system changes everything.
The traditional fireplace is a potent source of heat that can go a long way in complementing the central heating system during the winter weather.
However, the fireplace’s nature also means that it ends up losing a great deal of heat through the chimney. Moreover, the heat tends to rise to the ceiling, which creates another avenue for inefficiency.
Investing in a fireplace blower system or fan kit can resolve both problems. The best part – these blower systems are very cost-effective. If you haven’t got one yet, you’re missing out big time.