All heaters make some degree of “noise” during operation. Granted, in some cases, it’s very little noise that may not even be recognized. However, you’ll hear a few sounds if you’re keen.
Among the quietest models are infrared heaters. Infrared heaters are so quiet you may not even notice the heater is ON. Typically, they only make a sound when the thermostat clicks the heat on and off. Other than that, they remain pretty much silent.
This makes infrared heaters a popular choice for consumers shopping for noise-free space heating solutions. If you’re in the market for the best quiet infrared heater, this guide should help you pick the right one for your needs.
Let’s kick off by rounding up some of the best quietest infrared heaters. These infrared heaters are essentially sound-free, making them ideal for environments where complete silence is needed, such as the home office or the bedroom.
Better still, they score highly in other key areas such as energy efficiency and ease of maintenance.
Infrared Heater Buying Guide
Infrared heaters work by generating invisible infrared light. The light is invisible because it’s beyond the spectrum of light that we can see. The light forms part of the electromagnetic spectrum.
The reason we get warm from infrared heaters is that the light has a heat component. Indeed, infrared light is alternatively known as infrared radiation (IR). Our skin, clothes, and other objects can absorb the light.
It’s the same way we get warm in the sun. When you’re directly exposed to the sun, the rays fall on your clothes and skin and is absorbed.
What Makes Infrared Heaters So Quiet?
There are a couple of reasons. For one, infrared heaters use light to warm you. You cannot heat light. Secondly, since the heat is produced in the form of light, fans are not needed. You can’t blow light with a fan. The result is a hushed operation since fans, and the blowing process are the most significant noise sources in space heaters.
Finally, infrared heaters don’t have any moving parts. The absence of moving parts means you won’t hear any clicking or humming noises.
Pros and Cons of Infrared Heaters
There are endless benefits of infrared heaters over other types of space heaters. Simultaneously, the heaters come with a few challenges that you need to keep in mind.
- Instant heat: Other heaters need to heat the surrounding air before the heat can be transferred to objects, such as you. This often means that it may take a while to feel the heat. Infrared heaters operate the other way round. They heat objects directly, and the objects then transfer some of the heat to the surrounding air. The result is that you get to feel the heat much faster.
- Minimal impact on the environment: Infrared heaters don’t impact the environment the way other heaters do. For one, you won’t experience a change in the humidity level of the room as you would using conventional heaters. Also, the oxygen content of the room isn’t altered. It’s also been shown that there is a reduced risk of static electricity when you use infrared heaters.
- Minimal, if any, pollutants: Whereas other heating methods involve combustion processes that produce carbon dioxide and sometimes even carbon monoxide and other not-so-safe gases, infrared heating produces no pollutants. This means a reduced risk of oxygen depletion or CO poisoning. Moreover, there are no flames to control or soot/smoke to worry about.
- Extremely efficient: Infrared heaters are some of the most efficient space heaters. Pretty much all the electricity drawn from the home’s supply is converted into infrared radiation and transferred to the room. Better still, the heat reaches the objects directly, without blowing. It means that very little energy is lost to the surrounding. Almost all the electricity goes toward warming you and the people in the home.
- Safety concerns: A critical safety concern when using infrared space heaters is they can get very hot. If proper care isn’t taken, these hot parts can cause accidental burns. The good news is that modern models use cool-to-touch materials on the housing/cabinet. Still, make sure to position the heater away from the reach of pets and kids.
- The yellow light/color: All infrared heaters are designed to emit yellow color when operational. Although the infrared radiation itself is invisible, manufacturers give the heat source a yellow color to discourage people from getting too close or touching the heater. This intense yellow color can be annoying, especially in the bedroom.
- It only provides targeted heating: Infrared heaters only heat areas touched by the rays. If the rays can’t reach a particular corner, that area will remain cold. Therefore, you can’t rely on infrared heaters to heat two adjacent rooms. You also need to arrange the room properly and remove clutter so the light can reach the targeted areas.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How Long Does it Take for an Infrared Heater to Heat a Room? Infrared heaters are instant heaters. Since they heat objects directly, you can feel the warmth right away.
- Are Infrared Heaters Safe? Yes. Infrared heaters are generally safe. As with other space heaters, the parts tend to get hot, but as long as the unit is positioned appropriately, there’s no significant burns risk.
- Where Should Infrared Heaters Be Placed? Most infrared space heaters are wall heaters hung or installed into the wall. Others are installed on the ceiling. Make sure to leave enough clearance (at least three feet) all around the heater.
- Can You Leave Infrared Heaters ON Unattended? Yes. In general, infrared heaters are safe to use overnight. However, make sure that it has overheating protection or auto-tip-over shutoff (in case of freestanding models).
Quietest Infrared Heater
1. Dr. Infrared Model DR968 Portable Space Heater 1500 Watts
- Can heat up a large room with Auto Energy Saving Model With High and Low Feature. Tip-over protection and Overheat protection
- Dual Heating Systems featuring infrared quartz tube + PTC with 12hr automatic shut-off timer
- IR Remote Control, High Pressure Low Noise Blower with Noise level 39 dB super quiet. Heating can cover for a large room.
- Electronic Thermostat: range 50 to 85 degrees. Caster Wheels and lifetme filter
- Weights 24 lbs and uses 12.5 Amps of Power. 1500 Watts.Electric Cord 72 inch long
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Power source type: Corded Electric
One of the most popular standalone portable heaters is the Model DR968 from Dr. Infrared. It is an advanced dual-heating system that combines PTC and Quartz Infrared Element heating to deliver fast, gentle, and economical heating.
The 39decibel heater features a very quiet blower fan to distribute the heat and is UL approved for safety in Canada and the US.
The unit doesn’t have exposed elements that may cause a fire. It also features low and high heat settings for perfect indoor climate. Alternatively, consider the Auto mode that automatically adjusts the heating process to maintain desired heating levels.
Remote control, a programmable timer, and overheat protection are the other highlight features of the DR968. A 3-year warranty backs it.
- Efficient dual-heating technology
- 12-hour programmable timer
- Very quiet at 39 decibels
- Low maintenance
- Mobility wheels included
- No humidifier
- No remote control
2. AmazonBasics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater
- Elegant wood finish portable space heater with adjustable electronic thermostat and easy-to-read LED display (measures 13 x 12 x 16 inches; weighs 23.5 pounds)
- Includes over-heat sensor for safety
- Adjustable temperature setting from : 65- 85 ℉
- Four infrared heating elements with 750W and 1500W power settings as well as ECO-Smart setting for energy savings
- Includes remote control (batteries not included)
- Can heat rooms up to 1000 sq ft (standard 9 foot ceiling height)
- Backed by Amazon Basics 1-year limited warranty
If Dr. Infrared’s above product won’t cut it, a near-similar product from Amazon Basics is available at about the same price.
This is a dual-heating (quartz tube and PTC) cabinet-style space heater that adds instant heat while adding some style to indoor décor. It offers up to 1,500 watts at maximum output, though a low (1,000-watt) mode is available.
The heater is also very quiet at 39 decibels and features a 7-inch blower system for thorough and even heat distribution. It runs on 12.5 amperes and is recommended for spaces up to 1,000 square feet. The heating element can last 80,000 hours.
Its safety features include overheating protection, safety tip-over protection, and a cool-to-touch cabinet. The fan-forced heater has a 12-hour timer.
- Powerful forced-fan heater
- Remote control (included)
- Easy-read LCD control panel
- ETL certified for safety
- ECO Smart setting for energy saving
- No smart controls
- Remote batteries not included
3. Heat Storm Wall Gray HS-1000-WX Deluxe Indoor Infrared Heater
- EFFECTIVE HEAT - Our infrared space heaters warm objects instead of just the air! This will help your room stay warm even after the heater turns off.
- SAFE TOUCH GRILL - That’s because our grills are made out of material that doesn’t burn skin. Our heaters also automatically shut off power if it tips over.
- MODERN DESIGN - wall mount design means you don't lose floor space. Perfect for bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchens, offices and more
- ADJUSTABLE THERMOSTAT - LED display shows you what the ambient temperature is and helps regulate the temperature efficiently. (goes to dark mode after 5 minutes of no activity) Included remote control allows you to control the temperature with ease
- COMPACT - Uses less than 2 square feet of wall space and plugs into a normal 110v outlet. When installed over the outlet, you can hide the cord behind the heater.
Heat Storm calls the 1000-watt HS-1000-WX the world’s first quartz infrared wall space heater. Whether that’s true or not isn’t easy to tell. However, the heater is pretty impressive.
Perfect for bedrooms and offices, it incorporates HMS technology for the most efficient heat output and is Wi-Fi smart for control from your smartphone.
The housing remains cool to touch even during operation. That’s because the grill is made from a material that doesn’t burn skin even when warmed up. The heaters also automatically shut off if there’s overheating or if the unit tips over.
The modern wall-mount design means you don’t lose floor space. An adjustable thermostat for ultimate temperature control and remote control for added convenience round off the list of features.
- Unique wall-installed heater
- Features adjustable thermostat
- LED display (goes dark after five minutes)
- Plugs into 110V outlet
- 1-year warranty
- It’s not very powerful
- Best for small spaces
4. EdenPURE CopperSMART No Bulbs 1500-Watt Electric Heater
- Dual High Limit Sensors. Touch Safe Front Grill Cover ETL Approved, Tip-Over Sensor
- Copper PTC with Auto Reboot Feature to recover from Power Outages
- Temperature Range: 40 F to 90 F -Copper PTC Heating Element. Two power settings: 1,500 Watts High/ 1,000 Watts Low
- Remote Control and lifetime filter Included. Wheels on unit to easily on move from room to room.
- Full 1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
The EdenPURE CopperSmart is the most expensive product on this list, almost four times the price of each of the first three products on the list – and for a good reason.
It’s a next-generation portable infrared heater that incorporates the best features. It uses a PTC heating element at its core. PTC elements are designed for performance and durability.
However, what truly sets this particular heater apart is the 4.5 square-foot copper surface area. This, combined with the PTC element, ensure strong heating performance without drying out humidity or reducing oxygen.
The Copper Smart is a safe heater without any exposed parts that may cause burns. The heater also uses unique technology to ensure that the PTC element never gets hotter than a preset temperature. A 24-hour timer and easy-to-use controls are its other standout features.
- Dual high limit sensors
- ETL approved for safety
- Touch-safe front grill cover
- Auto Reboot allows error recovery
- Lifetime filter included
- 1-year warranty
- No smart controls
- High priced at over $400
5. AirNMore Comfort Deluxe with Copper PTC, Infrared Space Heater
- SAFE - Pet and Child safe. Dual High Limit Sensors for added safety. Touch Safe the unit does not get hot on the outside, Tip-Over Sensor again for added safety. Along with this the unit also uses a 3 prong grounded power cord of the proper gauge wire for a 1500 watt heater.
- NO BULBS - Uses the latest Copper PTC Heating Element Technology which results in a more efficient heater, no heater bulbs to ever have to replace and thus, less maintenance costs.
- DELUXE HEATING - Two power choices: High 1500 Watt and Low 1000 Watt. The perfect space heater for small or large rooms in your home or office.
- SMART - Includes Auto Reboot Memory. If the power should go out, the unit will remember the settings before the power outage occurred.
- DURABLE - Built with top quality components. Includes 2 Year Warranty.
The Comfort Deluxe from Air N More is the newest and most reliable heater on the market.
Designed for small room heating, the infrared zone heater uses state of the art Copper PTC heating element (not aluminum), so you never have to worry about bulbs burning out. It has two heat settings low at 1,000 watts and high at 1,500 watts.
The heater features industry-leading dual heat sensors for maximum safety. As a result, the temperatures can’t rise higher than a marked setting, thus remaining cool to touch. Tip-over protection is also included.
This heater is listed by the Edison Testing Laboratory (ETL) for safe use in North America. It comes with a 3-prong, 16-gauge cable for easy installation and high-quality casters for effortless mobility. A 2-year limited manufacturer warranty backs it.
- Convenient remote control
- Auto-reboot memory
- Multiple safety features
- Wheels for easy mobility
- 2-year manufacturer warranty
- High priced at close to $300
6. Unique Heat 1500-Watt PTC Personal Home and Office Heater
Finally, this Unique Heat unit is another wonderful option when shopping for a quiet infrared heater. Rated at 1,500 watts, it’s ideal for spaces up to 800 square feet and outputs up to 5,200 Btu of raw heat.
The thermostat range is 60 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The unit also arrives with an industry-standard 3-prong 6-foot cord for easy installation and use. Never plug the heater into an extension cord.
Some standout qualities of the Unique Heat include the advantaged technology that doesn’t interfere with humidity.
Unlike other heaters, this unit won’t dry your air or cause oxygen depletion. It also remains cool to touch throughout the operation and come equipped with tip-over protection and overheating shutoff.
Wheels for easy mobility, a programmable thermostat, and a lifetime filter are the other qualities that make this heater the perfect choice.
- 20-hour timer
- Three temperature settings
- Remains cool to touch
- Reusable, washable air filter
- Lightweight for easy transportation
- Thermostat is confusing
- The unit feels big
Infrared space heaters are an excellent investment. They are very energy efficient and produce the healthiest form of indoor heating. Above all, they are noise-free.
That said, though, if you decide to shop for one, make sure it’s powerful enough for the room you have in mind. Also, remember that these heaters get very hot during operation. Cool-to-touch parts and overheating protection are, therefore, critical.