In the market for the best 5000 BTU window air conditioner?
If you’re tired of waiting for your central air to cool that small room or if you want to keep it cool throughout summer, installing a 5000 BTU air conditioner is the way to go.
In this article, I’ve narrowed down the search to six of the best window air conditioners. These are very small ac units that will only do well in rooms between 100 to 250 square feet.
If you want to know important things to look for when selecting a small window unit, I’ve added a buying guide section to help you find the right unit for your needs.
Best 5000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
1. Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E 115V Window Air Conditioner
The Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E is a mini-compact air conditioner that has both cooling and dehumification capabilities. It’s 5,000 BTUs of cooling power is ideal for rooms up to 150 square feet, and the dehumidifier removes 1.1 pints per hour.
It features a washable antibacterial mesh with slide-out access to the side that removes harmful bacteria as you enjoy cold comfort. It has two cooling speeds, two fan speeds and mechanical rotary controls that allow you to personalize the speeds with ease. It also has a full-width, two-way air direction control that lets you direct cool air where you want it.
The Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E has a pleated quick-mount window-mounting kit with extendable side panels that ensure the AC fits perfectly to your window. It can fit in window spaces with a width of 23 inches-36 inches and a minimum height of 13 inches. In addition to that, it comes with a 6.5 feet, three-prong power cord that makes extension cords unnecessary.
- Low power startup conserves energy
- Effortless restart with all previous settings intact
- Operates quietly
- Comes with a mounting kit
- It has antibacterial filters.
- It has no hose for the dehumidifier.
2. hOmeLabs 5000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
The HomeLabs HME020003N is a heavy-duty window-mounted AC with enough power to cool spaces up to 150 square feet. It is an ideal summer addition to small bedrooms, dorm rooms or small apartments. It comes with a complete set-up kit that includes a support bracket, side panel leaf covers and a helpful guide that makes installation easy. It can fit in window spaces with a width of 23 inches-36 inches and a minimum height of 13 inches.
It is equipped with mechanical rotary controls that are easy to use, seven temperature settings, as well as two cooling and fan settings. It also features full-width, two-way airflow to direct cold air to wherever it is needed.
The HomeLabs HME020003N also has a slide-out air filter that reduces bacteria and room odours to keep your atmosphere as healthy as it is cool. The filter is washable and reusable, which means you can keep your AC working efficiently without worrying about buying a new filter.
NOTE: When installing this AC unit:
- Make sure it is tilted backwards about ¾ of an inch (about 3 degrees) to prevent water from dripping inside the house or soaking the motor.
- Make sure you install the AC away from shrubs or buildings to prevent interference with optimum airflow.
- It has an 11.1 EER
- It features low-power startup
- It features seven different temperature settings
- It has a reusable filter
- It reduces temperatures in just 15 minutes or less.
- It has no dehumidifier
- You have to unmount the AC during winter months to prevent damage.
3. Keystone Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
The Keystone KSTAW05B is an affordable and energy-efficient window air conditioner and ideal for living spaces between 100 – 150 square feet. It is energy star rated with an EER of 12, which is great for cooling your home while saving energy. It also features an energy-saving mode that ensures the unit runs only when necessary.
This unit automatically restarts and resumes operation with all settings intact in case of a power outage. You can also schedule for air conditioning at any time you please thanks to the programmable timer.
Another great feature is the FOLLOW ME remote control that displays the actual temperature at its current location. The air conditioner will pick the temperature signal and adjust it to what you’ve set.
The Keystone KSTAW05 also features a removable and washable mesh filter that keeps out harmful airborne particles and bugs. In addition to that, the full mounting kit included makes this unit easy to install without modifying or damaging your wall.
- It has a Dehumidification capacity of 1.3 pints per hour
- It has an easy-clean filter
- It is remote controlled
- It has an 11.2 EER
- It has a 62-decibel rating(it produces too much noise)
- The dehumidifier has no continuous drain option, so you will have to empty it manually frequently.
4. Midea MAW05M1BWT Window Air Conditioner
The Midea MAW05M1BWT window-mounted AC can cool spaces between 100-150 square feet. With a 5,000 BTU cooling capacity, this unit is perfect for small bedrooms, home offices or dorm rooms.
It has seven different temperature settings, dual cooling and fan speeds, and 2-way airflow directions to give you a more personalized cooling control. It also has a reusable and washable mesh filter that reduces bacteria, room odors and other airborne particles for a healthier environment.
The Midea MAW05M1BWT is easy to install with minimal modification to the existing window frame. It is suitable for windows 23”-36” wide and a minimum height of 13” and all mounting accessories come with the purchase.
- 2 in 1 functionality (cooling and fan)
- It has seven temperature controls and two air directions
- It has a washable and reusable air filter
- Easy to install with all mounting accessories included.
- It does not have a remote control.
5. TCL 5,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
The TCL TWAC-05CM/K0R1 is a window-mounted air conditioner with 5,000 BTUs of cooling power perfect for cooling rooms up to 150 square feet and a dehumidification capacity of 1.37 pints per hour.
It has a removable and washable air filter that keeps harmful airborne articles out and ensures easy maintenance of the unit. It also has two cooling speeds, two fan speeds and simple mechanical rotary controls that make the unit easy to operate. It also has 4-way air direction controls that let you direct cool air where you want.
The TCL TWAC-05CM/K0R1 also comes with a complete window-mounting kit and a 5.9-Ft long Lcdi power cord that connects directly to your power source without an extension cord.
- It provides air conditioning and dehumidification functions.
- It has 4-way air directions.
- It has a washable air filter.
- It has dual cooling and fan speeds.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- It does not meet the energy star qualifications.
- It does not have a remote control.
6. Danby 5,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
The Danby DAC050MB1WDB window air conditioner contains 5,000 BTUs of cooling power perfect for spaces up to 150 square feet. It uses an environmentally friendly R32 GWP refrigerant which is three times lower than the common R410A GWP refrigerants.
This unit has a powerful dual-speed fan and circulates cold air in 2 directions for even and more customized cooling. It also has easy-to-use mechanical controls that allow you to switch between modes and adjust temperature settings as you please. Furthermore, this unit has washable and reusable filters that make maintenance easy and AC operation efficient for longer.
This Danby 5,000 BTU air conditioner is easy to install and comes with a 12-month warranty on parts and labour.
- It uses an environmentally friendly refrigerant
- It has washable filters
- It is easy to install
- 12-month warranty on parts and labour
- It has dual cooling and fan speeds
- You have to unmount and store the unit during winter to avoid damage.
You don’t have to install a central air conditioner to keep your home cool. Start by cooling that small room you use frequently. It’s much more energy-efficient than central air, which cools the whole house. And they are affordable and easy to install and maintain.
I hope you’ve made a decision and decided on the best 5000 BTU window air conditioner for your needs. Give your needs and preference the priority before going to other extra features.
Here is a list of other larger window units you can consider