In the market for the best 5000 BTU window air conditioner?
If you’re tired of waiting for your central air to cool that small room or if you want to keep it cool throughout summer, installing a 5000 BTU air conditioner is the way to go.
In this article, I’ve narrowed down the search to six of the best window air conditioners. These are very small ac units that will only do well in rooms between 100 to 250 square feet.
If you want to know important things to look for when selecting a small window unit, I’ve added a buying guide section to help you find the right unit for your needs.
If you want a quiet unit with the same cooling capacity, we have reviewed some of the ultra-quiet models as well.
Best 5000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
Is 5000 BTU Air Conditioner Good?
When we talk of a 5000 BTU air conditioner, we are simply talking about a portable and easy-to-use AC able to cool rooms of size 100 to 150 sq. ft.
Portable air conditioners are highly in-demand due to their mobility and efficiency, but they are not effective in cooling large rooms. Air conditioners tend to be more effective than air coolers since they use a compressor and coolant.
That means a portable air conditioner is effective when you want to keep humidity at a low level and still enable proper cooling.
Here are the pros and cons of a 5000 BTU air conditioner.
- Easy to install
- Suitable to use in rental apartments
- Water management is a hassle
- minimal efficiency
- It has placement restrictions
What Size Room Does a 5000 BTU Air Conditioner Cover?
As mentioned above, a 5000 BTU air conditioner can only cover a room size of either 100 or 150 square feet. Therefore, that shows it’s limited in terms of cooling large rooms or offices. If you happen to need an AC that can cool large rooms such as your home living room or a large commercial space, consider choosing a larger air conditioner such as the 12000 BTU AC.
The 5000 BTU air conditioner is a budget type of AC that ideal for personal use, such as on your office desk, bedroom while you sleep during the hot summer season or while you’re traveling. Since it’s a portable AC, it comes in handy when you want to carry it while traveling.
Does a 5000 BTU Air Conditioner Use a lot of Electricity?
When trying to estimate an air conditioner’s energy costs, understanding the number of watts it uses can help you significantly. However, it’s not easy to find the wattage information of an air conditioner. Most people don’t know how many watts a 5000 BTU air conditioner uses, which may be difficult to know the amount of electricity it can consume.
A 5000 BTU air conditioner has an average of 500W of energy when running at full capacity. However, it is estimated that a 5000 BTU AC can have between 417W and 625W. Therefore, it’s safe to say that the 5000 BTU air conditioner doesn’t use a lot of electricity.
How Many Watts Does a 5000 BTU Air Conditioner Use?
Here are three ways to check the number of watts your air conditioner uses:
- Look for the specification sheet for watts, which are usually found in the same place as the amperage (in Amperes) and voltage (in Voltage).
- Look for the specification sheet for Amperes and Volts – You can calculate the power by multiplying the number of Amperes by the number of Volts. For instance, 20A * 140V = 2,800W.
- The third option involves using the BTU and EER rating to determine how much power your AC uses. For this, you can divide the BTU by the EER rating. Example: 5000 BTU / 10 EER rating = 500W.
An essential rule of thumb to help you calculate how many watts an air conditioner uses is to take the number of BTU and then divide it by 10. That’s one of the easiest and efficient ways to determine the number of watts any air conditioner uses.
How Many Amps Does a 5000 BTU Air Conditioner Use?
The current draw of ACs is usually rated in amps or amperes, which is the basic unit of electricity. This is equal to a constant current draw. Air conditioners are rated based on their cooling properties measured in the British thermal unit (BTU). The larger the BTU of an air conditioner, the more amps it will draw.
However, you need to note that there’s a difference in amperage draw with the standard voltage such as 115V and 230V, as well as the whole-house central air conditioning.
The small and portable room-size ACs such as the 5000 BTU and 6000 BTU can draw from 5 to 7 amperes of power. They are mostly plugged into wall sockets serviced by a 15 amp breaker since it has a low amperage draw. You can use other small household appliances in the socket.
How Much Does It Cost to Run a 5000 BTU Air Conditioner Per Hour and Per Month?
Every air conditioner comes with its unique energy-efficiency feature. To estimate the amount of money it costs to run a 5000 BTU AC hourly and per month, you first need to know about its EER, SEER, and CEER ratings. The best air conditioner is one that has a high energy-efficiency rating since it helps you reduce electricity costs.
The good news is that a 5000 BTU air conditioner lies in this category, as it has a high EER rating. The average cost of running an air conditioner hourly ranges from $0.06 to $0.88. Therefore, calculating this amount to 8 hours per day in a month, the cost can be from $14.40 on the low end to $211.20 per month on the high end.
A good example is that if you’re running a 5000 BTU air conditioner with 600W, the maximum cost of running it per hour comes to $0.07 or $0.08.
How Big of a Generator Do I Need to Run a 5000 BTU Air Conditioner?
A 5000 BTU air conditioner has about 500W. Therefore, it will require a 500W generator to run a 5000 BTU AC. A low-efficient 5000 BTU air conditioner with an EER rating of 8 may need a 625W generator, while a high-efficient air conditioner with an EER rating of 12.5 may need a 400W generator.
Mostly, the 500W generator is the best option to consider when you want to run a 5000 BTU air conditioner. If the EER rating of the air conditioner is 10 or more, the 500W generator is a good choice.
Features to Consider when Purchasing Window Air Conditioner
When buying a window air conditioner, don’t just be blinded by the cost and design. It’s also important to check other features to determine whether the air conditioner will serve you correctly or not.
Some essential features to consider when buying a window AC include:
- The cooling capacity – Choose an air conditioner with a BTU level suitable to cool the size of your space.
- Buy an easy-to-install air conditioner
- Energy-efficiency – Check the EER and SEER ratings to ensure they are ideal and efficient enough to help you save electricity costs.
- Buy a window air conditioner that requires less maintenance.
- Ensure your electrical system can support the needs of your AC’s electrical requirements.
Best 5000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
1. Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E 115V Window Air Conditioner
- 5,000 BTU mini-compact air conditioner for window-mounted installation uses standard 115V electrical outlet (Window mounting kit included)
- Quickly cools a room up to 150 square feet with dehumidification up to 1.1 pints per hour
- Mechanical rotary controls, 2 cool speeds, 2 fan speeds, and 2-way air direction.Window Width: 23 inches - 36 inches
- Low power start-up, quiet operation and effortless restart.Exterior Dimensions Height: 12 inches. Width: 16 inches. Depth: 15-1/4 inches
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 11.1, Measures: 16-Inches W x 15-1/4-Inches D x 12-Inches H.Motor RPM (Low): 1310
The Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E is a mini-compact air conditioner that has both cooling and dehumidification capabilities. Its 5000 BTUs of cooling power is ideal for rooms up to 150 square feet, and the dehumidifier removes 1.1 pints per hour.
It features a washable antibacterial mesh with slide-out access to the side that removes harmful bacteria as you enjoy cold comfort. It has two cooling speeds, two fan speeds, and mechanical rotary controls that allow you to personalize the speeds with ease. It also has a full-width, two-way air direction control that lets you direct cool air where you want it.
The Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E has a pleated quick-mount window-mounting kit with extendable side panels that ensure the AC fits perfectly to your window.
It can fit in window spaces with a width of 23 inches-36 inches and a minimum height of 13 inches. In addition to that, it comes with a 6.5 feet, three-prong power cord that makes extension cords unnecessary.
- Low power startup conserves energy
- Effortless restart with all previous settings intact
- Operates quietly
- Comes with a mounting kit
- It has antibacterial filters.
- It has no hose for the dehumidifier.
2. hOmeLabs 5000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
- Heavy duty window-mounted air conditioner with 5000 BTUs of cooling power to chill indoor spaces up to 150 square feet; an essential summer addition to bedrooms, living rooms, dorm rooms or small apartments
- Electric window AC system comes with filter, support brackets, leaf guards, window seal foam, and even a handy drip-free installation guide. Be sure to plug the conveniently extra-long, 6 ft, 3-prong power cord directly into wall outlet (do not use with extension cords)
- Quiet mini compact air conditioner features 7 temp settings for cooling flexibility, two-way air direction control and adjustable high or low fan speeds to quickly and powerfully reduce hot temperatures in small rooms in just 15 minutes or less
- Includes reusable washable filter that can be easily cleaned with warm water and dish soap, or vacuum cleaned with dustbuster (if hand washing, please allow to filter dry thoroughly before re-installing). Clean filter regularly to enjoy optimum cooling power
- 5000 BTU energy efficient window AC unit for 110V/120V electrical outlets measures 16 inches long x 12 inches high x 15.4 inches deep. Ideal for windows for windows measuring between 23 - 36 inches wide, and at least 13 inches high
The HomeLabs HME020003N is a heavy-duty window-mounted AC with enough power to cool spaces up to 150 square feet. It is an ideal summer addition to small bedrooms, dorm rooms, or small apartments.
It comes with a complete set-up kit that includes a support bracket, side panel leaf covers, and a helpful guide that makes installation easy. It can fit in window spaces with a width of 23 inches-36 inches and a minimum height of 13 inches.
It is equipped with mechanical rotary controls that are easy to use, seven temperature settings, as well as two cooling and fan settings. It also features full-width, two-way airflow to direct cold air to wherever it is needed.
The HomeLabs HME020003N also has a slide-out air filter that reduces bacteria and room odors to keep your atmosphere as healthy as it is cool. The filter is washable and reusable, which means you can keep your AC working efficiently without worrying about buying a new filter.
NOTE: When installing this AC unit:
- Make sure it is tilted backward about ¾ of an inch (about 3 degrees) to prevent water from dripping inside the house or soaking the motor.
- Make sure you install the AC away from shrubs or buildings to prevent interference with optimum airflow.
- It has an 11.1 EER
- It features a low-power startup
- It features seven different temperature settings
- It has a reusable filter
- It reduces temperatures in just 15 minutes or less.
- It has no dehumidifier
- You have to unmount the AC during the winter months to prevent damage.
3. Keystone Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
- POWERFUL AND RELIABLE COOLING SOURCE: The 5, 000 BTU air conditioner for window-mounted installation is what you need to efficiently cool your apartment, bedroom, living room, or any environment!
- QUICK COOLING: Cools a room up to 150 sq. ft. with dehumidification up to 1.3 pints per hour.
- THE DESIGN ALLOWS FOR QUIET OPERATION: (49 dBA on low). So you can get a good night's sleep, watch TV peacefully, or work without distraction. Run this AC unit to cool your room at any time without disturbance!
- EASY TO USE ELECTRONIC CONTROLS: with LED display allows you to easily select options with the touch of a button
- Wattage: 446.0 watts 6. 4-ft. LCDI power cord with NEMA 5-15P plug uses standard 115V electrical outlet.
The Keystone KSTAW05B is an affordable and energy-efficient window air conditioner and ideal for living spaces between 100 – 150 square feet.
It is energy star rated with an EER of 12, which is great for cooling your home while saving energy. It also features an energy-saving mode that ensures the unit runs only when necessary.
This unit automatically restarts and resumes operation with all settings intact in case of a power outage. You can also schedule for air conditioning at any time you please thanks to the programmable timer.
Another great feature is the FOLLOW ME remote control that displays the actual temperature at its current location. The air conditioner will pick the temperature signal and adjust it to what you’ve set.
The Keystone KSTAW05 also features a removable and washable mesh filter that keeps out harmful airborne particles and bugs. In addition to that, the full mounting kit included makes this unit easy to install without modifying or damaging your wall.
- It has a Dehumidification capacity of 1.3 pints per hour
- It has an easy-clean filter
- It is remote controlled
- It has an 11.2 EER
- It has a 62-decibel rating(it produces too much noise)
- The dehumidifier has no continuous drain option, so you will have to empty it manually frequently.
4. Midea MAW05M1BWT Window Air Conditioner
- FAST COOLING: 5,000 BTU window-mounted mini-compact air conditioner is perfect for cooling a room up to 150 square feet. Quickly cools down your home, office, or apartment for maximum comfort
- EFFORTLESS OPERATION: 7 temperature settings, 2 cooling/2 fan only speeds and 2-way air direction give you the perfect amount of cooling every time
- EASY INSTALLATION: Install easily with minimal modification to the existing window frame. Suitable for windows 23''-36'' wide and minimum 13'' high. All mounting accessories are included
- ENERGY-EFFICIENT: Combined Energy Efficiency Rate (CEER): 11.0. Helps reduce the energy costs
- WASHABLE FILTER: The reusable and washable mesh filter reduces bacteria, room odors and other airborne particles for a healthier, more comfortable environment
The Midea MAW05M1BWT window-mounted AC can cool spaces between 100-150 square feet. With a 5,000 BTU cooling capacity, this unit is perfect for small bedrooms, home offices, or dorm rooms.
It has seven different temperature settings, dual cooling and fan speeds, and 2-way airflow directions to give you a more personalized cooling control.
It also has a reusable and washable mesh filter that reduces bacteria, room odors, and other airborne particles for a healthier environment.
The Midea MAW05M1BWT is easy to install with minimal modification to the existing window frame. It is suitable for windows 23”-36” wide and a minimum height of 13” and all mounting accessories come with the purchase.
- 2 in 1 functionality (cooling and fan)
- It has seven temperature controls and two air directions
- It has a washable and reusable air filter
- Easy to install with all mounting accessories included.
- It does not have a remote control.
5. TCL 5,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
- 5, 000 btu air conditioner for window-mounted installation
- Cools a room up to 150 sq. Ft. With up to 1.37 pints per hour dehumidification
- Mechanical rotary controls with 2 cooling speeds and 2 fan speeds (high/low)
- 4-Way directional louvers direct the air where you need it most removable and washable air filter for convenient maintenance
- 5.9-Ft. Lcdi power cord with 3-prong grounded plug uses 110-120v electrical outlet
The TCL TWAC-05CM/K0R1 is a window-mounted air conditioner with 5,000 BTUs of cooling power perfect for cooling rooms up to 150 square feet and a dehumidification capacity of 1.37 pints per hour.
It has a removable and washable air filter that keeps harmful airborne articles out and ensures easy maintenance of the unit.
It also has two cooling speeds, two fan speeds, and simple mechanical rotary controls that make the unit easy to operate. It also has 4-way air direction controls that let you direct cool air where you want.
The TCL TWAC-05CM/K0R1 also comes with a complete window-mounting kit and a 5.9-Ft long Lcdi power cord that connects directly to your power source without an extension cord.
- It provides air conditioning and dehumidification functions.
- It has 4-way air directions.
- It has a washable air filter.
- It has dual cooling and fan speeds.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- It does not meet the energy star qualifications.
- It does not have a remote control.
6. Danby 5,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
- 5,000 BTU Window Air conditioner quickly cools space up to 150 Square Feet
- Easy to use mechanical rotary controls: 2 cool speeds, powerful 2 speed fan
- Reusable, washable air filter
- Two way air direction
The Danby DAC050MB1WDB window air conditioner contains 5,000 BTUs of cooling power perfect for spaces up to 150 square feet. It uses an environmentally friendly R32 GWP refrigerant which is three times lower than the common R410A GWP refrigerants.
This unit has a powerful dual-speed fan and circulates cold air in 2 directions for even and more customized cooling. It also has easy-to-use mechanical controls that allow you to switch between modes and adjust temperature settings as you please.
Furthermore, this unit has washable and reusable filters that make maintenance easy and AC operation efficient for longer.
This Danby 5,000 BTU air conditioner is easy to install and comes with a 12-month warranty on parts and labor.
- It uses an environmentally friendly refrigerant
- It has washable filters
- It is easy to install
- 12-month warranty on parts and labor
- It has dual cooling and fan speeds
- You have to unmount and store the unit during winter to avoid damage.
You don’t have to install a central air conditioner to keep your home cool. Start by cooling that small room you use frequently. It’s much more energy-efficient than central air, which cools the whole house. And they are affordable and easy to install and maintain.
I hope you’ve made a decision and decided on the best 5000 BTU window air conditioner for your needs. Give your needs and preference the priority before going to other extra features.