As the mercury rises, it’s important to get your home ready for the hot weather. While there are several DIY ideas to cool your home, choosing a reliable window air conditioner can help keep you and your family comfortable.
However, you must always determine the size of your room before choosing a window-mounted air conditioner. If your space is approximately 450 to 550 square feet, you should look for the best 12000 BTU window air conditioner.
I recommend using window units because they are less expensive than central units, easy to install, and energy-efficient for small, confined spaces.
The 12000 BTU air conditioners I’ve reviewed below have the same cooling power, but some are more popular and have several customer ratings and reviews than others.
Top 5 Best 12000 BTU Window Air Conditioners
Is a 12,000 BTU AC Good?
Yes! A 12,000 BTU air conditioner is good enough if you only want to cool a room of between 450 to 550 square feet. The good thing about using this air conditioner is that it’s cheap, efficient, and portable. It fits into the category of some of the most portable air conditioners in the market.
When it comes to efficiency, you can fully count on it since it doesn’t consume a lot of electricity. Therefore, it can help you save energy costs. However, before buying this air conditioner, you need to ensure you choose one with a high energy-efficiency rating (EER).
If you prefer a quiet indoor environment, consider these quiet 12000 BTU models
Here are some of the pros and cons of a 12,000 BTU air conditioner.
- Easy to install
- Easy to use
- Cheap to maintain
- It can be noisy
- Limited to cooling up to 550 sq. ft of space
How Many Square Feet will a 12,000 BTU Air Conditioner Cool?
A 12,000 BTU air conditioner can comfortably cool a room of maximum size 550 sq. ft. If you happen to have a larger room than that and intend to use a 12,000 BTU AC, note that it might not be as effective as you would want. The main reason for this is because it may have to strain too much to get the job done.
Every air conditioner is designed with a BTU count that can cool a specific size of room/space. Therefore, this is why it’s important to first compare your room with the AC you want to buy to avoid regretting it.
That means with this air conditioner, you have the convenience of even carrying it and using it anywhere, such as your office, camping tent, or bedroom.
If you live in an apartment with only a few windows, you can use a 12,000 BTU air conditioner to keep you cool during the summer season.
How Much Does It Cost to Run a 12,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner?
A 12,000 BTU window air conditioner can use about 15 amps of electricity when it’s running from a 125V outlet. When you calculate this figure, it gives you the result of approximately 1.8 kWh. If you run the air conditioner for an average of 8 hours per day, it gives you a daily cost of $1.2.
Therefore, the cost of running just one air conditioner 8 hours per day translates to approximately $36 per month. But it would help if you kept in mind that it’s only for one room in your house, and you would need about 2 or 3 window air conditioners to have the best cooling comfort in your home.
This, therefore, translates to more monthly costs of running window air conditioners in your home than you would incur running a central air conditioner. Another disadvantage of window air conditioners is that it’s impossible to hook them to a thermostat the way you would with a central air conditioner. That means you will need to monitor them closely.
How Many Amps Does a 12,000 BTU Air Conditioner Draw?
A 12,000 BTU air conditioner draws approximately 5 to 6 amps. However, this will highly depend on the energy-efficiency of your air conditioner. You should also note that it can also draw 15 amps at 240 volts.
To know the number of amps an air conditioner uses, here is a simple calculation you can do:
12000 BTU rating = 1200 watts = 1.2 kW
Therefore, the inverter AC for the current will be:
1200/220 = 5.5 amps
When you consider the power factor, which is 0.8, the maximum current of the 12,000 BTU air conditioner will be:
5.5 / 0.8 = 6.8 amps
How Much Electricity Does a 12,000 BTU Air Conditioner Use?
We usually buy an air conditioner based on its BTU number and the size of the space you want to cool. However, to correctly estimate the electricity costs an air conditioner incurs, you need to know how many watts it uses. For instance, the average 5,000 BTU air conditioner uses approximately 500W of energy when you’re using it at full capacity.
To know how many watts your air conditioner uses, you can check on the specification sheet for watts, check the specification sheet for amperes and volts, or use the BTU and EER rating to calculate the amount of power it uses.
Here’s an example equation:
12,000 BTU / 10 EER = 1200W
Note that if you want to estimate the number of watts an air conditioner uses, you need to take the BTU number then divide it by 10. Therefore, a 12,000 BTU air conditioner with an EER rating of 8 can use between 100 to 1500W. Having an AC with a high energy efficiency rating reduces your energy costs.
12,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner vs. 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Window air conditioners tend to differ from portable air conditioners. A window AC unit is usually stored in your living space, helping to reduce clutter in your home.
Window ACs also use less energy compared to portable air conditioners. However, when buying a window air conditioner, it’s important to check its BTU rating and ensure it is efficient enough to save energy costs.
Window ACs can also be installed through the wall, which means it doesn’t require an actual window. On the other hand, portable air conditioners are flexible, easy to install, and mobile, which means you can move them around.
Both window ACs and portable ACs have their benefits, but it will depend on the one you feel is suitable for your needs.
5 Things to Consider when Buying a Window Air Conditioner
It’s important to check several features before buying a window air conditioner.
- Size: Choose a window air conditioner with a convenient BTU number that can comfortably cool your space. A higher BTU air conditioner is recommended for large rooms while a lower BTU rating for smaller rooms.
- Energy-efficiency: This is the most important factor to consider if you want to save energy costs. You can check if the window air conditioner has an energy star rating or an AC with a higher EER rating.
- Installation: You can install most window AC models in a customized wall due to their design. Therefore, it’s important to check whether the window AC you want to buy is easy to install to save you all the hassle.
- Maintenance: Window air conditioners require the best maintenance, which means you need to ensure you buy an AC that’s easy to maintain.
- Electrical requirements – Most of the window air conditioners available on the market use approximately 115 to 220 volts circuits. That means you need to check if you have an electrical system that fits into the air conditioner you want to buy.
Best 12000 BTU Window Air Conditioners Reviews
1. MIDEA MAW12R1BWT Window Air Conditioner
- 3 IN 1 COMFORT - The Midea EasyCool Window Air Conditioner unit has three modes to help your house, apartment, office, or room be as comfortable as possible. It can cool a space up to 550 sq. ft. quickly, circulate air with its 3-speed fan, or reduce humidity utilizing the dehumidifier mode..core material : Copper.Control Type : Electronic
- ENERGY EFFICIENT - The EasyCool window air conditioner is Energy Star certified to help save you money throughout the year. There are also multiple custom settings to help you be even more energy-efficient like Eco mode and an EasyTimer feature to program a schedule that fits your needs.
- QUIET & EASY TO USE - This window AC unit is quieter than a household refrigerator. The intuitive LED display and remote control (batteries included) allow easy setting of time, temperature, and mode from across the room. The removable and reusable air filter protects your family and living space from dust and pet hairs.
- EASY INSTALLATION - Install easily in your home or apartment's existing window frame (23"-36"x14"). All mounting accessories are included. A screwdriver is required (but not included) for installation. For some window frames, pilot holes are recommended before installing screws. Installation instructions are simple and setting it up is a breeze.
- WORLDWIDE LEADER - Midea is the world’s #1 air treatment brand with a motto to help make customers feel at home with each of their products. As a testament to our dedication to quality and our customers, we offer one-year parts and labor warranty on this product.
The Midea MAW12R1BWT is a powerful window air conditioner that provides fast and efficient cooling for your home.
Packing a 12,000 BTU cooling capacity and an 11.3 EER rating, it can cool rooms and spaces between 450-550 square feet, making it ideal for living rooms, family rooms, or any room with an open floor plan.
This unit performs three functions in one. It combines air conditioning, dehumidification, and ventilation to give your home the perfect indoor atmosphere.
It also comes with a remote control that allows you to control the unit from anywhere in the room. The remote, coupled with the digital LED display on the front panel, lets you operate this device even in the dark.
To help you save energy, the Midea MAW12R1BWT features a 24-hour timer, which you can set to turn the unit on and off as you wish. This way, the AC will only run when you deem necessary. In “sleep mode,” the temperature automatically adjusts to match your body’s heat for maximum comfort as you sleep.
It also features an Eco energy saver mode that shuts off the unit when it reaches the set temperature to save you even more on energy bills.
It’s easy to install and doesn’t require any significant modifications to your window frame to get it to fit. It can fit window spaces between 23 inches – 36 inches wide and 13 inches high. All mounting accessories come with the purchase.
- Performs three functions in one
- It is remote controlled
- It has washable filters
- Easy to install with all mounting accessories included.
- Features a 24-hour programmable timer and Eco mode to save energy
- Operates quietly
- one-year factory warranty
- It doesn’t have a heat function
2. Koldfront WAC12001W Heat/Cool Window Air Conditioner
- Four (4) operation modes
- 12000 BTU's of Cooling/11000 BTU's of Heating
- 2 Year In-Home Warranty
If you’re looking for energy efficiency, then the Koldfront WAC12001W Window Air Conditioner is the perfect addition to your home.
With 12,000 BTU cooling power and 11,000 BTU heat functionality, this window AC can service spaces up to 550 square feet. It also has a dehumidification capacity of 60 pints per day to keep you indoors less soggy.
This unit has several energy-saving features, including sleep mode and Eco energy saver mode. The unit has a built-in digital programmable thermostat to give you total control over the amount of cool and heat you need.
It also has a “check filter” light that alerts you when the filters need cleaning to keep your unit functioning at its best.
The Koldfront WAC12001W features 4-way directional louvers, which you can select to change the direction of airflow to suit your comfort and evenly cool the room.
Before mounting this window AC, make sure your windows measure between 26 inches-36 inches wide and a minimum height of 16 inches. Nonetheless, it is easy to install, and all installation hardware and weather seals come with the purchase.
- Has washable filters
- four-way air direction louvers
- Has a programmable thermostat
- It has three fan speeds with an auto option
- 24 hours programmable timer
- 2- year warranty on parts and labor
- Requires a special 230 V electrical outlet since the standard 115 V outlet won’t work.
- The unit is not approved for commercial use.
3. Frigidaire FFRA122WAE Window-Mounted Compact Air Conditioner
- 12, 000 BTU compact air conditioner for window-mounted installation uses standard 115V electrical outlet
- Quickly cools a room up to 550 sq. ft. with dehumidification up to 3. 8 pints per hour
- Low power start-up conserves energy and saves you money
- Ready-select electronic controls allow you to easily select options with the touch of a button
- Washable mesh filter with tilt-out filter access and check filter alert cleans the air removing dust and other airborne particles
- Dimensions: Cabinet Depth (w/ Front): 21-1/2" || Width: 21-11/32" || Height: 15-3/4" || Cabinet Height: 15-3/4" || Depth: 21-1/2"
The Frigidaire FFRA122WAE is a powerful compact air conditioner perfect for rooms between 450-550 square feet. It operates efficiently and quietly to cool your room without keeping you awake at night or interfering with normal conversation during the day.
Featuring a 24-hour programmable timer, you can preset your unit to turn on or off in ½ hour increments. As a result, your home stays cool and comfortable at all times without running up your electricity bills.
An automatic restart feature is included to enable the unit to resume operation with all previous settings whenever there is a power surge or outage.
The manufacturer has emphasized maintenance by including cleanable antibacterial filters that reduce room odors and bacteria for a healthier and more comfortable indoor environment. The “clean filter” alert notifies you when your filter needs cleaning, so you don’t have to worry about forgetting.
This Frigidaire unit also has adjustable side panels that extend to fit your windows, which makes installation easy without significant adjustments to your window frame.
- Has a washable antibacterial filters
- Remote controlled
- It has adjustable side panels for easy installation
- Has 6- way airflow directions
- 3 fan speeds
- Quiet operation
- Energy-star certified
- one year warranty for parts and labor
- Can be a bit loud when the fan is on high speed
4. LG 12,000 BTU Window-Mounted AIR Conditioner with 11,200 BTU Heat Function
- Low Noise Performance - operates at sound levels as low as 50dB (in low mode) eliminating unnecessary noise.Air flow efficiency : 265 cubic_feet_per_minute_per_watt
- Supplemental Heat - For cooler days use the supplemental heat option to add warmth to your space
- Multiple Fan Speeds - 2 cooling, heating and fan speeds allow you to customize your cooling or heating
- Auto Restart - After a power failure, Auto Restart will automatically turn the unit back on when power is restored
- Cools Rooms up to 550 Sq. Ft. - LW1216HR is ideal for cooling medium rooms (22' X 25')
The LG LW1216HR Window-Mounted AC can cool or heat spaces between 450-550 square feet. With a 12,000 BTU cooling capacity and 11,200 BTU heat capacity, this unit is perfect for living rooms, large offices, or any area with an open floor plan.
This unit has a digital programmable thermostat that allows you to choose a comfortable temperature level for your room. It has a remote control that lets you power the AC on and off or change between modes with ease.
The LG LW1216HR has washable filters and a filter alarm that lets you know when your filters need cleaning to keep your unit functioning at its best.
It is easy to install and can fit into window frames between 27 inches – 39 inches wide and 16 inches high.
- It has washable filters
- It has a digital thermostat
- It is easy to install
- It comes with a remote control
- UL listed
- one year warranty
- The heat function is meant to be supplemental to an existing heat source. It has a lower BTU rating than cooling; therefore, it does not treat the same square footage.
- Requires a special 230 V electrical outlet since it won’t operate properly with the standard 115 V household outlet.
- The unit is not approved for commercial use.
5. Della 12000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
- THIS ITEM IS NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA
- [COOL YOUR SPACE] This 12000 BTU 115V/60Hz window air conditioner is powerful enough to quickly cool rooms up to 550 square feet.
- [CONVENIENCE DESIGN] This window AC unit includes a remote control and a user-friendly LED control panel. Two ways to adjust temperature more convenience and easily.
- [QUIET OPERATION] A decible limit enables low volume operation equivalent to a quiet conversation.
- [COMPACT SIZE] Measuring only 19.76"W x 21.5"D x 15.16"H, it's easy to add this unit to any space.
The Della 048-TL-WAC12K Window Air Conditioner can fit into window spaces between 23 inches-36 inches wide and a minimum height of 16 inches.
The unit is easy to set up, and the full installation kit included during purchase ensures that your air conditioner is up and running in no time.
Some window frames may require pilot holes, so be sure to check the instruction manual before installing the AC.
It is a powerful air conditioner packing 12,000 BTU cooling capacity – 115V and a whopping 12.1 EER rating enough to cool spaces up to 550 square feet.
This 12,000 BTU window AC comes with a remote control that allows you to control the unit from anywhere in the room.
The remote also has a built-in temperature sensor that adjusts the temperature based on the distance between the remote and the unit to provide accurate thermostat readings.
When set to Eco mode, the unit will automatically shut off as soon as the room attains your set temperature to save energy.
- Easy to install
- Performs three functions in 1
- Adjustable side panels for easy installation
- Has washable and reusable filters for easy maintenance
- Energy star rated
- one year warranty
- Can be a bit loud when the fan is on high speed
After calculating the size of your room, you can use the measurement to choose the right cooling capacity.
Keep in mind that finding the right cooling capacity is important because you don’t want an oversized or undersized AC.
If 12000 BTU is too large for your room, you can consider other window units for small rooms below