Air conditioning in the summer is essential, especially if your room gets extremely hot or live in a warm, humid climate. If you want to cool a small space or your home doesn’t have ductwork, you can try different ACs, including the best 8000 BTU window air conditioner.
These units are suitable for rooms between 250 to 350 square feet. And since you must choose the right size window ac for your room, you can select any of the models I have reviewed below, and it will cool your small bedroom, office, or basement with windows.
While all these units have the same 8000 BTU cooling capacity, they’re different in terms of price, features, and energy efficiency. I have researched the top options and qualified them in terms of efficiency, price, and other features you might find user-friendly.
If you want the quietest models with same cooling capacity, check the quietest options.
Best 8000 BTU Window Air Conditioners
Is 8000 BTU Air Conditioner Good?
Yes! An 8000 BTU air conditioner is good but only for a room of maximum size 350 square feet. Suppose you place this AC in a larger room than that, it might not be effective.
Another thing that makes this air conditioner suitable is its portability and energy-efficiency. It can help you save on electricity costs, and carrying it wherever you’re going isn’t such a hassle. Below are its pros and cons.
- Cools rooms of size 350 square feet
- Easy to install
- Consumes high energy
- Produces hot air
How Big of a Room will an 8000 BTU Cool?
It is essential to note that having an air conditioner with a large BTU means you can use it in a large room. An 8000 BTU air conditioner can cool a room of 350 square feet, which is better than a 5000 BTU air conditioner.
If you happen to have a larger room than the mentioned size, this air conditioner won’t be as effective as you want. Therefore, that’s one of its drawdowns that you need to keep in mind.
8000 vs. 10,000 BTU Air Conditioner
The British Thermal Unit (BTU) is the amount of heat needed to raise one pound of water temperature, at or nearly 39.2 degrees Fahrenheit by one degree Fahrenheit. Therefore, a 10,000 BTU air conditioner can cool a larger room than an 8000 BTU AC.
A 10,000 BTU air conditioner cools a large room faster than the 8000 BTU air conditioner. That means if you were to choose between either of them, the 10,000 BTU AC could be an excellent option to consider.
To clarify the difference, an 8000 BTU air conditioner can cool a room of maximum size 350 sq. ft, while a 10,000 BTU air conditioner can cool a room of maximum size 450 sq. ft.
Is 8000 BTU Enough for a Bedroom?
Yes! An 8000 BTU air conditioner is suitable for a bedroom. You need to know that an AC is suitable for a bedroom provided the room is not too large for the air conditioner to be rendered ineffective.
If your room is in size range of 100 to 350 square feet, then an 8000 BTU air conditioner is a superb option to use. This AC can perfectly cool rooms within that size range, but it’s only limited to that. If your bedroom is larger, you would need to consider an AC with a larger BTU number.
How Much Does an 8000 BTU Air Conditioner Cost?
The price of air conditioners varies from one brand to another. Therefore, it may be hard to know how much an air conditioner costs unless you conduct proper research.
From what we’ve gathered so far from the market, we can say that an 8000 BTU air conditioner can cost between $250 on the low end to $350 on the high end. It all comes down to the features, efficiency, and brand pricing of the air conditioner.
How Much Electricity Does an 8000 BTU Air Conditioner Use?
An 8000 BTU air conditioner consumes more electricity than a 5000 or 6000 BTU air conditioner. The average cost of using an 8000 BTU air conditioner is $0.11 per hour, which means if you run it for 8 hours a day can amount to $26.4 per month in electricity costs.
The best way to minimize the air conditioning electricity costs is to use it a few hours a day, especially only when you need it most, instead of letting it run the entire day or 24/7.
How Many Watts Does an 8000 BTU Air Conditioner Use?
An 8000 BTU air conditioner uses approximately 667W to 1000W of electricity. This range is a bit higher than the one used by the 5000 or 6000 BTU air conditioners. However, this is mainly because the 8000 BTU AC can cool larger rooms than the 5000 or 6000 BTU air conditioners.
How Many Amps Does an 8000 BTU Air Conditioner Use?
The 8000 BTU air conditioner uses between 5.8 and 8.7 amps. To calculate the number of amps an air conditioner uses, you have to change the BTU to electrical power in watts and then change the watts to electrical current in amps.
Here are simple equations to properly do this:
BTU = EER divided by the electrical power in watts
Once you’ve gotten the results, the next equation will be:
P (watts) = V (Volts) * I (Amps)
To find out how many amps an air conditioner needs, below is the equation:
I (Amps) = air conditioner capacity in BTU divided by (EER * V)
Can You Use a Window Air Conditioner Inside?
No, it’s not recommended to use a window air conditioner inside. Just as their name states, a window air conditioner is specially designed to use in a window and not inside. Running a window AC inside a room will only heat it and reduce humidity. Since a window AC unit is an air-to-air type of air conditioner, it cannot be entirely used in a room.
Can You Run a Window Air Conditioner without a Window?
No. Window air conditioners are only designed to work mounted on a window. They remove warm air and water as the byproduct of the cooling process, which means there isn’t any way of redirecting these things if you try to use this AC unit outside a window.
Can You Leave a Window Air Conditioner on 24/7?
Yes! You can leave your window air conditioner running 24/7 since it won’t cause any harm other than hiking your electricity bill. Some experts say that it’s okay to run an air conditioner 24/7, but the drawdown of this is that it puts too much strain on it, which is not recommended. Or you can just pick the low-wattage air conditioners.
The best option is to avoid running your AC 24/7 because it ends up damaging it faster than running it for only a few hours a day. If the summer weather is too hot even during the night, consider the alternative of using a fan or dehumidifier instead of fully relying on your AC to cool the room.
Best 8000 BTU Window Air Conditioners Reviews
1. LG LW8016ER Window Air Conditioner
- LOW NOISE PERFORMANCE: Operates at sound levels as low as 53dB (in low mode) eliminating unnecessary noise
- ENERGY STAR CERTIFIED: This air conditioner has met the high standards of the energy star program using energy-efficient technologies that translate into electricity savings.
- MULTIPLE FAN SPEEDS: 3 cooling and fan speeds with auto cool allow you to customize your cooling.
- MAXIMUM USABILITY: Easy to use electronic controls with remote
- COOLS ROOMS UP TO 350 Square Feet: LW8016ER is ideal for cooling medium rooms (14' X 25')
The LG LW8016ER is a window air conditioner capable of cooling spaces up to 340 square feet. With 8,000 BTUs cooling power, this window AC is ideal for bedrooms, offices, and even studio apartments.
It has three energy-saving features that keep it performing at its best while saving you big bucks on electricity bills. The energy saver mode runs the fan periodically to check the temperature, only turning the compressor on when the heat exceeds what you set. The programmable thermostat allows you to set precise temperatures between 60-86 degrees. An adjustable timer lets you program the unit to turn on or off up to 24 hours ahead of time.
Not only is this 8,000 BTU window air conditioner efficient, but it’s also designed for easy and customizable use. It provides cooling, dehumidification, and ventilation functions to keep your living space in a condition that suits you best. You can easily switch between these operation modes and other settings on the front board control panel, or you can use the included remote control from wherever you are in the room.
The LG LW8016ER fits easily into window spaces between 22-36 inches wide, and the LG patented gold fin anti-corrosion coating provides a protective shield that ensures your unit lasts longer.
- It has washable filters.
- 3-in-1 functionality
- Auto-restart feature in case of a power outage
- Quiet operation with sound levels as low as 52dB
- Full installation kit included
- One-year limited warranty.
- It doesn’t include a wall sleeve
- It has no intrusion protection.
2. MIDEA MAW08R1BWT Window Air Conditioner
- 3-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY - Midea's 3-in-1 technology combines air conditioning, dehumidification, and fan-only modes that work together to increase the comfort of your home
- FAST COOLING - This 8, 000 BTU model provides fast and efficient cooling and dehumidification ideal for rooms up to 350 square feet. Cools down your home, office or apartment for maximum comfort.
- INNOVATIVE FEATURES – An intuitive design remote control and a LED digital display panel will make it easy to change all the settings from across the room.
- EASY INSTALLATION - This window unit installs easily without significant modification to the existing window frame (23-36" x 15. 5"). All mounting accessories (23-36" x 14 ") are included. A screwdriver is required (but not included) for installation. For some window frames, pilot holes are recommended before installing screws. Please see included instruction manual for further detail
- WORLDWIDE - Midea is the world’s largest provider of air conditioning products. As a testament to our dedication to quality, we offer a one year parts and labor on this product
The Midea MAW08R1BWT Easycool Window AC is the perfect addition to your home if you need quick and efficient cooling during the summer. With 8,000 BTUs of cooling power, this unit is ideal for spaces between 300 -350 square feet, making it perfect for your home, office, or apartment.
This versatile unit provides air conditioning, dehumidification, and ventilation functions to give your space the perfect indoor climate. It also comes with a remote that allows you to change between functions and program other settings from anywhere in the room. The remote, together with the digital LED display on the onboard panel, makes operation easy even in the dark.
This unit has a fan with three fan speeds to keep you as cool as you want and four fan directions that ensure even cooling for all corners of your room.
The Midea MAW08R1BWT is easy to install, and its expandable panels fit in several window types with spaces between 23-36 inches wide and 15.5 inches high without significant modifications. All mounting accessories (except a screwdriver) come with the purchase.
- It features a sleep mode to save energy
- It has a washable filter with easy access
- It has a 24-hour programmable timer and a thermostat
- Three fan speeds
- Four fan directions
- Expandable panels for the perfect fit
- 1-year limited warranty for parts and labor.
- It doesn’t have a heat function.
3. Frigidaire Energy Star Window Air Conditioner
- Install it at the window to maintain a steady temperature in your bedroom or office
- With 2344.57 W cooling power, enjoy a blast of cool air throughout your room
- Effectively cools area of up to 350 square feet., this air conditioner is perfect for bedrooms
- Have more control over air flow with 3 fan speeds
- Dehumidification up to 1.7 pints per hour
- Power source type: Corded Electric
- Wattage: 670 watts
The Frigidaire FFRE083WAE is a powerful compact air conditioner perfect for rooms up to 350 square feet. It operates quickly and quietly to cool your room without keeping you awake at night or interfering with normal conversation during the day.
It has a 24-hour programmable timer that lets you set the unit to turn on or off based on your schedule. This feature ensures that your home stays cool and comfortable at all times without the risk of your electricity bills running up. It also has an automatic restart feature that lets the unit resume operation with all previous settings whenever there is a power surge or outage.
This Frigidaire unit has washable antibacterial filters that are easy to access for maintenance and reduces room odors to give you a healthier indoor environment. It also has a maintenance alert that notifies you when your filter needs cleaning when you forget to check.
The Frigidaire FFRE083WAE also has adjustable side panels that extend to fit your windows, making installation easy without significant adjustments to the window frame.
- It has a washable antibacterial filter.
- Remote controlled
- Low power start-up
- Has 6-way airflow directions
- Three fan speeds
- Quiet operation
- Energy-star certified
- 1-year warranty for parts and labor
- Can be a bit loud when the fan is on to high speed
4. TOSOT 8,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
- QUICK COOLING: Give your hot room the cold shoulder. TOSOT 8,000 BTU Window Air conditioners are best for spaces up to 350 sq. ft. If your space has high ceiling, an open floor plan, or a lot of traffic, you may want to consider sizing up.
- MODERN DESIGN: This ain't your grannie's Window AC. Gone are the eyesores of yesterday, with their ugly metal grilles messing up the flow of your interior decorating skills. Bring the art gallery to your home by installing this sleek, minimalistic air conditioner in your living room window.
- 1 PRODUCT, 3 USES: At TOSOT, we want our products to solve as many of your problems as possible. That's why we're giving you three products for the price of one! This is not only a Window Air Conditioner, but also comes with modes for fan-only and for dehumidifying.
- SMART TEMPERATURE CONTROL: On most air conditioners, the thermostat is located on the unit itself. TOSOT Air Conditioners uses a thermostat is located on the remote, meaning your AC will cool your space based on the temperature around your remote (which is probably close to you, right?)
- SAVES YOU MONEY: TOSOT Window Air Conditioners are Energy-Star rated, making them better for the environment and your wallet. Everyone may not agree on climate change, but the one thing we can all stand behind is lower utility bills.
The Tosot 8,000 BTU window AC works best in spaces up to 350 square feet. It is an affordable appliance that combines three functions to solve as many of your indoor climate issues as possible. In addition to cooling, this unit also provides ventilation (fan-only mode) and dehumidification functions.
It has a smart remote control with the iFeel function that allows the AC to use a thermo-sensor on the remote to determine how long this unit operates. The remote will send readings back to the AC in 10-minute intervals to let it know how hard it should run.
This Tosot unit runs quietly, and you can enable sleep mode to adjust the temperature to match your body’s heat throughout the night. This way, you will not have to deal with choosing between cool comfort and high-quality sleep.
The Tosot 8,000 BTU unit also has a sleek and minimalistic design that doesn’t clash with your interior decor.
- Performs three functions in one
- It has a 24-hour programmable timer
- Has a remote control with a built-in thermostat
- Energy star rated
- It has a sleek and modern design
- Easy to install
- Operates quietly
- This unit does not have a heat function.
5. Della 8000 BTU Window Air Conditioner 48-TL-WAC8K
- HIGH PERFORMANCE - 8000 BTU, 820W, 115V/60Hz, LCDI Power Supply and Energy Star Rated at 12 Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER). Makes it a High Energy Saving and Efficient Compact Window AC. Unit Also Works as a Dehumidifier with a Dehumification Capacity of 51 Pint Per Day. Refrigerant R32, 30% lower GWP compared to R410A
- QUIET OPERATION - Smooth Air Flow - 260 m3/h (Low), 290 m3/h (Medium), and 320 m3/h (High) Fan Speed with only 53 dB(A) Low 56 dB(A) Medium, and 58 dB(A) High Speed, it's almost about the sound level of an average conversation between two person in a quiet room. Very Easy to Operate, Simply Set it and Forget it.
- FEATURES - Variable Temperature Setting from 61℉ - 88℉. All Functions can be set on LED Digital Display or Remote Control: Sleep Mode, Fan Speed Selection, 24 Hour Timer, ECO Mode, Auto Mode, and Fan Only. Washable and Reusable Air Filter Can be Easily Slide Out and Can be Easily Washed with Warm Water and Dish Soap or Vacuum Cleaner for Best Performance. Please Make Sure Filter is Dry Thoroughly Before Reinstalling).
- EASY INSTALLATION - Unit Installs Easily without Significant Modification to the Existing Window Frame. Fits Windows from 23" to 36" Wide and Minimum Height of 14.5". Complete Mounting Accessories are Included in Package. Pilot Holes are Highly Recommended for some window frames. Please Check Instruction Manaul for More Detail.
- COVERAGE AREA - Compact Size Measures at only 18.58"(W) x 15.59"(D) x 13.31"(H) and Weight only 47.4 Pounds, Unit is able to Cools up to 350 Sq. Ft Space. Great Ideal for Small Rooms, Storage Rooms, Computer Server Rooms, Apartments, Condos, Trailer Homes and More!
The Della 048-TL-WAC8K Window Air Conditioner churns out 8,000 BTU cooling power to cool spaces between 300-350 square feet. In addition to air conditioning, this unit has ventilation (fan-only mode) and dry functions with a dehumidification capacity of 51 pints per day.
This unit operates quietly, producing only 60dB(A) at the highest fan speed, almost equal to the sound level of an average conversation between two people in a quiet room. Other features include variable temperature settings from 61℉ – 88℉ and a 24-hour timer that allows you to preset the time needed for the unit. You can easily switch between operation modes and AC functions using the remote control from anywhere in the room.
It also has an easily accessible, washable, and reusable air filter that makes maintenance easy. You can clean it with warm water and dish soap or a vacuum cleaner. ( Ensure that the filter is completely dry before reinstalling it into the AC.)
The Della 048-TL-WAC8K installs easily in window spaces from 23” to 36” wide and 14.5 inches high. A complete set of mounting accessories come with the purchase.
- Easy to install
- Performs three functions in 1
- Variable temperature settings from 61℉ – 88℉
- Has washable and reusable filters for easy maintenance
- Energy star rated
- 1-year warranty
- Can be a bit loud when the fan is on high speed.
6. TCL Energy Star 8,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
- Energy star qualified: 12.1 eer
- 8, 000 btu air conditioner for window-mounted installation
- Cools a room up to 350 sq. Ft. With up to 2.07 pints per hour dehumidification|
- Modes include cool, dry, fan and auto
- 3 cooling speeds, 3 fan speeds, plus 24-hour on/off timer
If you’re looking for energy efficiency, then the TCL TWC-08CR/UH window air conditioner is the perfect addition to your home. With an 8,000 BTU cooling power, this unit can service spaces up to 350 square feet. It also has a dehumidification capacity of 2.1 pints per hour to keep you indoors less soggy.
This unit has several energy-saving features. In eco mode, the unit conserves energy by turning off the compressor when the room reaches the desired temperature, only turning it back on when the heat rises above what you set. It also features a sleep mode and a 24-hour on/off timer.
In addition to that, the TCL TWC-08CR/UH has auto protection technology that allows the unit to detect errors and display them on the front panel automatically.
This way, you can take action to rectify the mistakes before your appliance gets damaged. Also, the unit will shut down if it detects any abnormal operating conditions to prevent damage (self troubleshooting)
- It has a 24 hour on/off timer
- It has auto protection and self troubleshooting technologies
- It has washable filters and a “clean filter” alert.
- It auto restarts in case of a power surge
- 8-way air louvers ensure even cooling
- Energy Star qualified (12.1) EER
- The unit is too noisy
- It is non-returnable after purchase.
While there are many quality 8000 BTU window air conditioners on the market, it’s not always easy to choose one that’s right for your needs. It’s important first to consider your room size and then consider other features you might find friendly.
Keep in mind that the more features a window ac has, the more expensive it is. However, don’t be discouraged because even models with mechanical controls still work efficiently.