If you think you can’t install an air conditioner in a small room because you have crank or casement windows, you may be pleased to discover that you have another option.
Ordinary window air conditioners are designed for double-hung windows. And so many homeowners don’t think that there are vertically structured AC units that accommodate sliders and casements.
This is why we have reviewed the smallest casement window air conditioners. You’ll also learn what to consider when choosing the best casement window air conditioner, and how to install and maintain your unit to keep it efficient.
Best Casement Window Air Conditioner Comparison Table
8 Smallest Casement Window Air Conditioner Reviews
1. Frigidaire FFRS1022R1 Slider/Casement Room Air Conditioner
- Specially designed for casement-window or sliding-window installation - installation kit included (Not suitable for standard-window installation)
- 10,000 BTU air conditioner cools a room up to 450 sq. ft. with dehumidification up to 3.4 pints per hour (Uses standard 115V electrical outlet)
- Multi-speed electronic controls with 24-hr. on/off timer and full-function remote control
- Auto cool, Energy Saver mode, Sleep mode, 4-way air direction and washable mesh filter with check filter alert
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 10.4
- Window height- 21.5 inch minimum / 40 inch maximum. Minimum window width- 15.5 inch
The Frigidaire FFRS1022R1 is designed for sliding and casement windows. It offers 10,000 BTU of cooling power, which is enough to cool rooms up to 450 square feet.
With a dehumidification power of 3.4 pints per hour, it is able to remove excess moisture from your room, making it unfriendly to allergens such as mold and mildew.
This unit offers an energy-efficient form of cooling thanks to the 10.4 energy efficiency ratio. You can also turn on the energy save mode to conserve even more energy as it reduces the use of the compressor until the room temperature is above your set point.
This is an easy-to-operate slider window air conditioner since it is feature-packed. You can adjust the temperature using the programmable thermostat, choose between the three cooling modes or three fan speeds to achieve your set temperature, or select the sleep feature to automatically adjust the temperature when you sleep.
It’s designed for casement windows with widths between 15.5 and 16.25 inches and heights of 21.5 to 40 inches. You can easily set up this unit within a few minutes and the installation kit is included.
- Energy-efficient operation
- Simple to install (installation kit included)
- Easy to operate (user-friendly)
- Multiple operating modes
- Not energy star rated
- It can be a bit noisy when set at the highest speed.
2. Frigidaire FFRS0822S1 Slider Casement Window Air Conditioner
- Beat the heat while remaining cool and happy on hot summer days
- With 2344.57 W cooling power, enjoy a blast of cool air throughout your room
- Effectively cools area of up to 350 Sq. ft., this air conditioner is perfect for bedrooms
- Provides enough cooling in your room with 3 fan speeds
- Full-function remote control allows you to precisely control the temperature and fan speed from across the room
- Power source type: Corded Electric
- Mounting type: Casement/Slider
The Frigidaire FFRS0822S1 is exceptionally efficient and a low-cost option for adding targeted cooling to a room with casement windows. With 8,000 BTUs of cooling power, it’s ideal for small rooms up to 350 square feet.
Apart from cooling, it can dehumidify up to 3 pints per hour. It is, therefore, an excellent choice for rooms that are always too humid during the summer.
Install this unit in casement or sliding windows 15.5 inches wide and between 21.5 and 40 inches in height. It uses a NEMA 5-15P plug type and the standard 115-volt/15-amp, 3-prong plug.
With an Energy Efficiency Rating of 10.8, the Frigidaire FFRS0822S1 only costs about $66 per year to operate. You can also take advantage of the energy saver mode for even more savings.
In addition to its energy efficiency, this window AC is very quiet – it only gets up to 55.1 dB on the highest level and fan speed. It is also equipped with a thermostat that maintains your ideal room temperature, a 24-hour timer, three-fan speeds, three-cooling modes, air direction control, a washable air filter, and a filter light reminder.
- Quiet operation even at its highest fan speed
- Energy efficient operation
- Easy to customize and adjust the temperature of your room
- Has a washable air filter to limit replacement costs
- It’s not energy star rated
- Doesn’t have a back cover option.
3. PerfectAire 3PASC10000 Slider Air Conditioner Window A/C
- 10, 000 BTU cooling capacity
- Electronic controls (remote control included); auto restart function, sleep, dry, and energy saver modes
- Full range air direction control, slide-out filter access
- Window mounting kit included. Voltage : 110-120 V. Minimum Operating Temperature (Cooling) : 60 degrees F
- cULus listed, refrigerant
If you’re looking for a unit that creates a comfortable living space, easy to install and operate, then this is the best slider casement window air conditioner. It cools rooms up to 450 square feet and is ideal for bedrooms, offices, living rooms, dens, and other similar-sized spaces.
Engineered with multiple operating modes, the Perfect Aire 3PASC10000 can provide individualized comfort every day of the year. It offers a powerful 10,000 BTUs of cooling and is capable of removing excess moisture every hour to help eliminate muggy indoor air. And when it’s not quite warm enough for cooling, you can turn on the fan mode to circulate fresh air in the room.
A powerful cooling and dehumidification performance doesn’t have to be costly. Packed with energy-saving features, this Perfect Aire 3PASC10000 can keep you comfortable without breaking the bank. These features include an energy saver mode, auto mode, sleep mode, and programmable timer.
Since it comes with the installation materials, setting up this air conditioner is simple. It’s designed for casement windows with widths between 15.5 inches and 16.25 inches and heights of 20.5 to 39.5 inches.
- Quick and easy to install
- Multiple operating modes
- Follow-me feature
- Reduced energy usage
- Offers a limited temperature range.
- It’s not energy star rated
4. Koldfront CAC8000W 8000 BTU 115V Casement Air Conditioner
- 8000 BTU vertical window air conditioner engineered for spaces ranging in size from 300 to 350 square feet
- Designed to fit casement (left to right sliding) windows ONLY, and will not fit windows that slide up and down. Fits windows 15-1/2" to 16-1/4" wide with a minimum height of 21-1/4" when using the window panel retainer and a maximum height of 39-7/16" (minimum window height of 20-5/16" without the window panel retainer)
- Digital Display; Dehumidifier; Sleep Mode; 3 fan speeds; Remote control with 16ft range; LCDI 5-15P plug type
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 11.0 / Energy saver mode
- Includes all installation hardware and weather seals
The Koldfront CAC8000W is a small vertical window air conditioner that cools, dehumidifies, and circulates fresh air in rooms between 300 to 350 square feet. Delivering up to 8,000 BTUs of cooling power, you’ll always achieve your desired cooling needs for your bedrooms, living rooms, and study rooms.
Apart from cooling, it’s also capable of achieving a powerful airflow using the 3 fan speeds and removing excess moisture using the dry mode. It’s energy star certified with an EER of 11.0, meaning it delivers maximum cooling performance without wasting energy.
The Koldfront CAC8000W features other operating modes and usability functions for increased comfort all day and night. It has a sleep mode that ensures your sleep is uninterrupted, an energy saver mode that limits energy consumption, an electronic control panel that lets you see your current room temperature, and remote control for operating the AC at the comfort of your sofa.
This unit is easy to install and comes with installation hardware and weather seals. It also meets the strict requirements set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Cools and dehumidifies
- Multiple operating modes
- Energy-efficient operation
- Eco-friendly operation
- Super heavy
- Doesn’t work for windows that open up and down
- Requires a professional to install
5. Global Industrial Casement Window Air Conditioner
This is the best casement window ac to choose if you want a budget-friendly and energy-efficient unit with a powerful performance. It’s ideal for medium-sized spaces up to 450 square feet and capable of creating a gentle airflow during those hot, humid summer days.
While it’s simple to install with the included installation materials, it’s also easy to use thanks to the user-friendly features and operating modes that make it possible to achieve your desired cooling experience.
If you don’t feel cool enough in a particular zone in your room, you can turn on the 4-way air direction to direct the airflow horizontally and vertically. The remote control also has a Follow Me function.
This unit’s auto restart feature lets it automatically restart and resume its last settings if a power outage occurs. You also don’t have to be around the house to set the unit, you can set the timer, and the AC will turn on or off automatically up to 24 hours in advance.
And when you’re sleeping, select the sleep mode so that unit runs at its lowest speed. That way, the temperature will gradually increase, helping to reduce wasted energy.
- Eco-friendly and energy-efficient
- Remote with Follow Me
- Economical power consumption given its relatively
- 5-year warranty certification to guarantee quality.
- Efficient sleep mode features.
- Require no regular filter replacement.
- A little bit noisy
- Only warranted if purchased directly from the manufacturer
- Requires a minimum setting of 62 F for the unit’s temperature and compression-related features to work efficiently.
6. Arctic King AKSC08CR61 8,000 BTU Casement A/C
If you’re on a budget, I’d recommend you choose Arctic King AKSC08CR61 8,000 BTU Casement A/C. It’s less expensive than other models on this list and energy-efficient, helping reduce annual cooling costs.
Since it has 8000 BTU cooling power, it is ideal for small to medium rooms between 300 to 350 square feet. The company promises that the unit only takes about 20 minutes to cool your room. Apart from cooling, this casement air conditioner also removes 0.9 pints per hour of excess moisture from your room, leaving it dry and comfortable.
Cooling your space doesn’t have to break the bank. Energy Star qualified, the Arctic King AKSC08CR61 Window AC has been independently verified to operate efficiently by the relevant authorities. Also, it has an EER of 10.9, which means it’s more efficient.
The Arctic King is easy to install and maintain in your window. It fits in 16” width windows and has an easy-to-follow installation manual, so you won’t need to hire a professional to set it up. You don’t have to remove the whole unit to clean or change air filters – they are easily removable.
Overall, this is an affordable and small unit for a medium room. It won’t work effectively in large rooms. The company only offers a 1-year warranty for parts and labor.
- energy efficient
- Easy to install
- Not a good choice for large rooms
- The company offers only 1-year warranty on parts and labor
7. Honeywell Contempo Series, Dehumidifier & Fan
- Stylish, Powerful & Dependable - Cools rooms up to 450 sq. ft. Thermal Overload protection for added safety & peace of mind. Automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool air evenly for fast & consistent cooling.
- Dual Filters designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filters clean easily under a faucet for easy maintenance. Full set window kit included for quick & easy installation for vertical and horizontal windows (Max. hose length is 4 feet).
- Designed for comfort with 3 fan speeds, Sleep mode, digital controls, 24 hour energy saving timer & remote control with digital display included
- Stress-free Auto Evaporation – no bucket to empty (except in areas with high humidity). Built-in Dehumidifier removes up to 80 pints/ 24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation
- 10000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 5500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard)
Do you want to install a portable air conditioner in your casement windows but are not sure which one to choose? Or you’re not sure if a portable air conditioner is the right unit for you? It is possible to set up a portable unit in crank windows, even if it comes with the traditional window kit.
Honeywell Contempo Series Portable AC is one such unit. It has 10000 BTU capable of cooling rooms up to 450 square feet. If you live in a humid climate, you can take advantage of the built-in dehumidifier to remove excess moisture from your room.
Designwise, it has a modern, sleek look with a blue and white exterior, blending in to any room’s aesthetic without being distracting.
If you’re not sure what features to look for in a portable AC, this unit has everything you can ever want, all for optimal comfort and convenience. You can move it around without feeling the weight thanks to the caster wheels.
Are you not sure whether to use your AC at night? Don’t worry. This unit has a sleep mode and programmable timer that allows you to enjoy your night sleep without waking to switch it off. Turn on the sleep mode and set how long you want the unit to run. Once the time elapses, the unit switches off automatically.
Other features include three fan speeds, remote control, digital display, self evaporating system, and dual filters to protect the unit from dust and hair.
- Powerful and dependable
- Easy to move around
- Stress-free auto evaporation
- Dual filters to protect the unit from dust and hair.
- It can only be used for medium rooms. You can’t use it for large or small rooms.
8. Midea U Inverter Window Air Conditioner 12,000BTU
- ULTRA QUIET - The Midea U Smart Inverter AC unit is 9 times quieter than traditional units. The U-shape design uses your window to blocks noise outside and the high efficiency Inverter system warrants ultra low noise and vibration. This design allows for extremely quiet operation as low as 42 dBA - almost as quiet as a library – so you can get a restful night’s sleep or binge your favorite shows undisturbed.
- MORE THAN 35% ENERGY SAVINGS - With the advanced DC Inverter technology, Midea U achieves over 35% energy savings compared to other traditional units, and it's the first window AC to obtain the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient 2022 Certification. You may also get exclusive benefits from your local energy distributor.
- FLEXIBLE WINDOW OPENING - Midea U-shaped design allows your window to open, bringing fresh air into your home anytime and allowing you to maintain more of your view even when the unit is installed. The Anti-Theft Mechanism locks the closed window for added security
- SMART CONTROL - The Midea U Smart Inverter Air Conditioner is Wi-Fi enabled and can be controlled from anywhere through the cloud using the MideaAir app on iOS or Android. You can also use voice commands throughout your house, office, or apartment using Alexa or Google Assistant.
- ROBUST INSTALLATION - Install the included quick-snap bracket, set the unit on the bracket, and secure the sidearms. After that, you are all done and ready to enjoy. Available for single-hung or double-hung windows with size: 22"-36", minimal height at 13.75".
It is not often that you find a window air conditioner that you install and still be able to open the window. That’s what this unit offers. But that’s not all it has to offer since there are many features that you’ll find amazing in this unit.
How much space does it cool? It provides 12,000 BTU of cooling power that is enough for medium rooms between 450 to 550 square feet.
The biggest advantage you get by purchasing this unit is energy efficiency. With the advanced DC Inverter technology, the company claims that the unit will save up to 35 percent on your cooling energy compared to other traditional units. Moreover, it’s tested for energy efficiency and became the first unit to obtain the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient 2021 Certification.
Noise is something that we all hate, especially it comes to our home appliances. The good thing is Midea U Inverter Window Air Conditioner is 9 times quieter than some traditional units, so you won’t be distracted when it’s running. It has a decibel rating of 42 dBA.
The Wi-Fi control option allows you to control the unit from anywhere with just your smartphone and a downloaded MideaAir app on iOS or Android. It also works with voice-activated devices like Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
Just because it is U-shaped doesn’t mean it’s hard to install. The shape is to help you install it easily and quickly. All support brackets and installation materials are included.
- More than 35% Energy Savings
- Extreme Quiet – 42 dBA
- Flexible – you can open your windows
- Easy and quick installation
- Smart controls
- Huge and heavy – you’ll need a helping hand during installation.
What are Casement Window Air Conditioners?
There are multiple ways to categorize windows. One approach is categorization by dimensions. In this approach, the conventional window wider than it is tall is known as a horizontal window. Meanwhile, windows that are taller than they are wide are known as vertical windows.
Casement windows are an excellent example of vertical windows. Another configuration popular with the vertical design is single-hung windows. If your home has any of these two window types, one or both are likely vertical models.
Casement window air conditioners are everyday window conditioners customized for use in vertical window configurations.
They are characteristically narrow AC units that are taller than they are wide. While standard window air conditioners for double-hung windows are broad and short, the typical vertical window air conditioner is narrow and tall.
Make sure to measure the target window before you head out shopping. You need a minimum window width of 15 ½ inches. You’ll also need a special vertical installation kit. Fortunately, most manufacturers include the necessary kit in the package.
The two best casement window air conditioners are the 10,000 BTU Model FFRS1022R1 from Frigidaire and the 8,000 BTU Model CAC8000W from Koldfront.
Casement vs Vertical vs Sliding vs Horizontal Window Air Conditioners
Unfortunately, there is no standard term for narrow window air conditioners. You can call it a sliding window AC, slider window AC, casement window AC, or vertical window AC. The terms are often used interchangeably and may refer to the same thing.
However, to avoid confusion, especially when ordering the product online, it’s best to use more formal terms. The following are the formal names for the different window air conditioners;
- Sliding window ACs: Sliding window ACs are air conditioners that fit sliding windows. The air conditioners are designed such that you can slide the window as close to the AC as possible and use the kit to fill any remaining gaps.
- Slider window ACs: A slider window ACs are practically the same thing as sliding window air conditioners. The two terms are used interchangeably.
- Casement window ACs: This term refers to window air conditioners that fit casement windows, the type of windows that open fully without a centerpiece as in doubly hung windows.
- Vertical window ACs: Are air conditioners explicitly designed for narrow, vertical windows, often single-hung and vertical sliding models.
Benefits of Casement Window Air Conditioners
Casement windows have a flat pane of glass with a hinge on the side. Casement windows swing open horizontally through a hand crank that’s on the window sill, which is different from standard double-hung windows that open vertically. There are window air conditioners specially designed for casement windows.
Check out below some of their benefits.
1. They Offer Proper Ventilation
The good thing about casement window air conditioners is that they provide you with proper ventilation since you can open the entire window to allow air in properly.
Casement windows are also well-designed to accommodate window air conditioners, and this makes them suitable when it comes to the installation and removal of the air conditioner.
Another benefit of casement window air conditioners is that they are quite portable. It’s very easy to carry and install or remove them from the window without straining too much.
Although they are a bit heavy, they are designed to install them easily, as you can even do that with a screwdriver.
Casement window air conditioners feature various modes that allow you to select the right comfort settings for indoor climate conditions such as cool, dry, or fan. These settings make it easier for you to operate the window AC for optimal performance.
In terms of convenience, you can entirely rely on casement window air conditioners because they are properly designed to make your life easier and offer you as much convenience as possible.
Casement window air conditioners come with timers that allow you to program the unit however you want. It’s not mandatory to leave it running, but it will still provide you with cool air whenever you want.
Affordability is also another benefit of casement window air conditioning units. These air conditioners are sold at affordable prices due to their portability, efficiency, and size.
Most of the models are quite cheap and affordable, which makes them worth having in your home.
Things to Consider when Choosing a Casement Window Air Conditioner
It’s important to consider various factors before choosing a casement window air conditioner. These factors include:
1. Energy Efficiency
The best window air conditioners are economical compared to central air conditioners. Casement window air conditioners also tend to cost less and are easy to operate.
When buying a casement window air conditioner, you need to check whether it has an energy star rating or not. Energy star-rated window ACs typically use 10% less energy than those without.
You should also check the energy efficiency rating (EER) of a casement window air conditioner before buying. If a window air conditioner has a higher energy efficiency rating, such as over 10, then it shows it doesn’t consume too much energy. 2. Cooling Capacity
Casement window air conditioners require periodic maintenance to offer you optimal performance. This is because they are typically vulnerable to outside dirt and debris, which may accumulate on the back or inside of the AC unit.
If you leave the AC untreated for a long, all these things will combine and reduce its effectiveness. Therefore, when buying any casement window AC, you need to check the type of maintenance required and be fully prepared to undertake the task.
3. Electricity Requirements
It’s important to note that window air conditioners are more powerful than most household appliances that you may have in your home. Therefore, when considering buying a casement window air conditioner, you need to check whether you meet all the electrical requirements that it demands.
Most of the room air conditioners operate on 115V to 220V circuits. Air conditioners with cooling capacities below 15,000 BTUs run on standard residential 115V to 125V. However, window air conditioners with cooling capacities of more than 15,000 BTUs run on 220V circuits.
If you have a casement window AC model with over 15,000 BTUs, you need to use special electrical wiring or hire a professional to advise you appropriately on what to do.
4. Cooling Capacity
The cooling capacity of the casement window air conditioner you want to buy should be the main thing to check. The cooling capacity is measured in British thermal units (BTU).
Can You Install a Portable Air Conditioner in a Casement Window?
Yes, it’s possible to install a portable air conditioner in a casement window. However, it is important to note that most portable ACs feature a standard window kit, but you can fabricate an insert to fit into a casement window and allow you to vent your portable AC.
It is recommended to use Plexiglas, although material that will help to keep the hot air out and cold air in can also be an excellent option to consider. Reasonable solutions for this include using Plexiglas, foam, or plywood insert. Using foam or plywood insert can work if you’re using a sliding window.
How Do You Install a Portable Air Conditioner in a Casement Window?
Portable air conditioners are specially designed to be easily moved from one place to another. Portable air conditioners are not meant to be installed on windows since they use a flexible exhaust hose that takes all the air from the room. The benefit of this hose is that you can run it through a window, into another room in your house, or a space above the drop ceiling.
Most portable air conditioners sold out there have a kit that enables you to run the hose through a window. However, if your AC unit doesn’t have this kit, you can find them in stores that sell heating or air conditioning parts.
Here’s how to install a portable air conditioner in a casement window.
- Open your casement window and set the AC to a minimum of 5 feet away. Ensure that your portable AC unit is near an outlet so that you can easily plug it in without the need for an extension cord. This will save you much time and hassle.
- Take the flexible hose and connect two of its length, but you have to ensure that the window kit is also close to the outlets at the back of your air conditioning unit.
- Take the hose collar and insert it over each of the exhaust openings, and then turn it clockwise you confirm that it locks into position.
- Take foam weatherstripping and apply it to the sides of the Plexiglas or the foam panel, which fits into the casement window, so that when it’s in place, the window will properly touch the foam.
- Take the foam section or Plexiglas of the window kit and place it into the window kit so that it vertically runs along the window’s side, right opposite the hinges. Keep in mind that most of the kits are designed to adapt to the standard-sized windows, which means you’ll have to trim the window panel with a knife to fit the opening of the casement window.
- Check and confirm that the vent openings on your window panel are close to the bottom of the window frame. This helps to ensure that the hose can reach it without the need to run up the window.
- Close the window until it meets the window kit’s spacer. Insert the included screws that come with the kit inside the mounting holes on your window kit, and drill them into the frame to secure the kit in place.
- Take the end of each hose and insert it into the window exhaust adaptors, and also insert them into the openings of your window panel, then push down to firmly secure them inside.
- Analyze the hose to ensure that it is fastened securely to the window kit, and then take your AC and plug it in.
- After doing that, turn on the AC to test the installation.
How to Install Window Air Conditioner in Casement Windows
If you want to know to install a window air conditioner in a casement window, here are simple steps you need to follow to do it properly.
1. Take the Measurements
The first thing you need to do is measure the window to know the size of the Plexiglas insert you’ll need. It’s recommended to have a piece of Plexiglas cut from your local hardware store, which you can use in this process.
Another thing you need to do is cut a hole in the Plexiglas for the vent hose. If you’re cutting in the local hardware store, it’s important to bring the vent hose with you to cut a hole that will fit the hose perfectly.
2. Start the Installation
After you’ve gotten your Plexiglas, the next step is to begin the installation process. What you need to do is open the casement window and firmly attach a latch to it, as well as a frame. This will help to provide stability and efficiency.
Use retainer clips or even twist clamps to position the insert in the window frame securely. After you’ve done that, the next step is to caulk the casing and window frame’s meeting point to firmly seal the insert and ensure that it’s kept waterproof.
An alternative to this is to use weatherproof stripping on the casing and window frame’s meeting point instead of using caulk.
4. Final Step
The final step involves attaching the hose to the insert after installing it, and it’s weatherproofed. Once you’ve completed all the above processes, sit back, relax, and enjoy what your casement window air conditioner has to offer.
Smallest Casement Window Air Conditioner FAQs
How do you install a window air conditioner in a vertical window?
It’s the same as installing any window AC. You need to purchase Plexiglas and cut out a hole in it for AC venting. Then, install the Plexiglas on your window and caulk or weather-strip the area around the vent for airtightness.
Can I make a vertical window AC out of a regular one?
No. To convert a vertical AC into a standard unit would require placing it on its side. It’s strictly prohibited to place any AC on its side as it would compromise the unit’s functioning.
Why are there so few options in vertical window ACs?
Because double-hung windows are still the most popular and these models work better with horizontal window air conditioners. Also, consumers generally prefer standard air conditioners for whatever reasons.
How Long Can You Leave A Window Air Conditioner Running?
It’s completely safe and even recommended to run the AC round the clock throughout the cooling season. Although the power bill will be high, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Keeping the AC on round the clock keeps you healthy and safe.
Can a vertical AC be installed on a wall?
Yes. However, the wall installation process requires a different, specially-designed sleeve. Never attempt to install the AC through the wall with the window installation kit. You need different types of AC sleeve sizes to install window ac in a wall.
Although you have many options to choose from when shopping for a window air conditioner, if it’s a vertical window, you’d be best off with a small window air conditioner.
Casement AC units fit vertical windows better and offer a better balance, which is important for your home. Above all, they are specially designed for the unique qualities of vertical windows.