Central air conditioning unit is not always the most affordable option for most people. If you live in a small home or apartment, you can choose the best 15000 BTU window air conditioner to stay cool and comfortable.
Window air conditioners are the ideal choice for most rooms, especially if you have the necessary DIY skills to set them up on your windows. They are also fairly inexpensive to purchase and affordable to operate on a daily basis. Unlike portable units, they don’t take up space on your floor or require you to vent it outside.
When looking to purchase a window air conditioner, however, you have to determine the space you want to cool so you can choose the right capacity. Air conditioner capacity is measure is btus. A 15000 BTU air conditioner is ideal or rooms between 650 to 750 square feet.
Best 15000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Reviews
How Many Square Feet will a 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner Cool?
A 15,000 BTU air conditioner can comfortably cool a room of 650 to 750 square feet. To fully understand the ideal air conditioner for your room, you have to measure it and determine its square footage, and then select an AC effective enough for it.
A surprising fact you should know is that an air conditioner requires 20 BTUs for every square foot of your room. Depending on your room size, the ceiling height, and many other conditions, you have to calculate the number of BTUs your air conditioner will need to be effective enough.
There are several online tools you can use to determine the BTU number you need in an air conditioner according to the space you need to be cooled. It’s always recommended to purchase an AC that is a little bigger than the recommended size for your room.
The reason for this is because larger window AC units will be effective enough and won’t strain as much to cool the room. Most air conditioners don’t last long because when the room they are cooling becomes too hot, they have to work too hard to cool it. Putting this strain on an air conditioner makes get damaged faster.
To calculate the perfect BTU number of an air conditioner suitable for your room, here is a simple equation you should use.
BTU = square feet number * 20
How Much Does It Cost to Run a 15,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner?
Before you know how much it costs to run a 15,000 BTU window air conditioner, we’ll first understand how much it costs to run an AC per hour. Below is the formula to calculate this.
First, you have to find the maximum power of the air conditioner measured in Watts. This information is available in the specifications of all air conditioners. The second step is to determine the price of electricity in your area. This is calculated by cost per kWh.
Here is the equation:
Cost per hour = AC power (W) * electricity cost per kWh divided by 1,000
The cost of running a 15,000 BTU air conditioner is $0.20 per hour. Assuming you run your AC for 8 hours, the cost would be $48 per month. That’s an average cost of $576 per year or higher depending on how you use your air conditioner.
If you want to reduce your cost of running an air conditioner, here are crucial tips to consider:
- Check the EER, SEER, or CEER ratings of an air conditioner before you buy it. If it happens to have a higher rating, that will be suitable to help reduce your electricity costs.
- Minimize the number of hours you use your air conditioners. It’s an obvious fact that running your AC for many hours or even 24/7 can increase your electricity bills. Therefore, you can try to reduce the hours you use your AC to lower these costs.
Things to Consider when Choosing a Window Air Conditioner
Buying a window air conditioner requires the utmost scrutiny. That means you have to thoroughly check the AC you want to buy, ensure it the right BTU number for your space, it has a perfect size, and one with ideal features for your needs.
Here are some important factors to consider before choosing a window air conditioner.
Consider the power of a window air conditioner first before you buy it. The power of an air conditioner is measured in BTU. If an air conditioner has a high BTU, then it means it’s powerful enough to cool a small space comfortably without straining. This will help you determine the right size for the room you want to cool.
If you live in an area that experiences high temperatures of more than 100 degrees, you’re better off having an AC with a higher BTU rating.
Window air conditioners vary in price depending on the size, quality, and brand. Most of the cheap window air conditioners only have basic features and can cool small spaces. Expensive AC units are the ones that can cool large rooms, and they also included excellent features.
Aside from just the upfront cost of the air conditioner you want to buy, it’s also important to consider the energy costs you will incur from using it.
Type of Window
Window air conditioners usually need to be used on windows. Therefore, before you buy an air conditioner, you need to have a specific window in mind.
There is the option of installing your window AC through the wall instead of a window, although this involves going through a complex process and you also have to make sure you buy an AC unit model that supports the through-the-wall installation.
It’s essential to note that air conditioners consume plenty of energy. This is a proven fact, regardless of the type of AC you decide to buy. Another unfortunate fact is that window air conditioners are not as energy-efficient as one would expect.
Therefore, to try and minimize energy costs, you can check the energy star certification of an AC you want to buy, or make sure you buy one with a higher EER rating.
You also have to ensure you invest in a window air conditioner that will serve you for a longer period. For this, you can buy from reputable brands with good reviews from customers about the durability of their products.
Fortunately, most window air conditioners have a warranty and this enables you to have peace of mind for at least one or two years.
Air Conditioning Mistakes to Avoid in Summer
Here are air conditioning mistakes that you should avoid doing this summer.
- Setting your AC thermostat too low – This doesn’t help to cool your home faster as you would expect, but only put unnecessary strain on your air conditioner.
- Using a wrong-sized air conditioner – Make sure you choose a well-sized AC depending on the size of the space you want to cool, to help you avoid wasting energy.
- Installing your AC unit in direct sunlight can negatively affect it.
- Avoiding routine maintenance or tune-ups of your air conditioner. This will result in higher repair costs later on when the damages become too much.
- Forgetting to change the air filters. This will jeopardize the performance of your air conditioner.
Best 15000 BTU Window Air Conditioner Reviews 2021
1. LG LW1516ER 15,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted AIR Conditioner
- Energy Star Certified- This air conditioner has met the high standards of the ENERGY STAR Program using energy-efficient technologies that translate into electricity savings.
- Multiple Fan Speeds- 3 cooling and fan speeds with Auto Cool allow you to customize your cooling.
- Maximum Usability- Easy to use electronic controls with remote
- Auto Restart- After a power failure, Auto Restart will automatically turn the unit back on when power is restored
- Cools Rooms Up to 800 Sq. Ft. - LW1516ER is ideal for cooling medium rooms (20' X 40')
LG offers multiple effective and efficient room cooling alternatives to a traditional central air conditioning unit. They have gained a reputation for offering reliable units at fairly affordable prices. Most of their units have gained massive positive reviews on Amazon, including LG LW1516ER.
LG LW1516ER is specifically designed to cool spaces up to 800 square feet. It offers three cooling speed and three fan speed that allows you to customize its cooling so that it provides your preferred room temperature. It also comes with a dehumidifier function that will remove 3.3 pints of excess water from your room per hour.
Energy Efficiency Ratio is an important factor when choosing an air conditioner. It determines how efficient a unit will be. A high rating means the unit is more efficient, while a lower rating means it slightly efficient. Compared to other 15000 BTU window air conditioners, LG LW1516ER is ranked among the most energy-efficient air conditioners not only because of its high 11.9 energy efficiency Ratio but also because its ENERGY STAR certified.
When it comes to user experience, LG LW1516ER is a winner. It has both push buttons and remote control that lets you personalize the settings according to your cooling needs. If you are not home or forgot to turn the unit off, the 24-hour timer will let you turn it on or off, depending on what you want.
- Three cooling/fan speeds allow you to control the rate at which cool air circulates in your space
- Four-way adjustable louvers for optimized airflow.
- Dehumidifier mode provides dehumidification without additional cooling.
- A patented anti-corrosion coating shield increases the unit’s lifespan
- Both digital and push buttons
- Superior energy efficiency ratio of 11.9
- Whisper-quiet operation in low-speed settings
- A fully programmable 24-hour timer with auto-restart
- It May not adequately cool large rooms, apartments, or multiple adjacent rooms.
- Many people who have used old models might find the digital controls confusing
- It may not be the quietest especially if installed improperly (and to rectify the problems requires professional intervention)
2. Friedrich Chill Series CP15G10B Window Air Conditioner
No products found.
Not so many 15000 BTU air conditioners are stylish, sophisticated and provide consistent air distribution for even cooling in large spaces like the Friedrich Chill Series CP15G10B Window Air Conditioner. It’s part of the premium line of air conditioners that offers a mix of power, efficiency, and durability.
The Friedrich Chill Series CP15G10B produces minimal noise that you can hardly heat, making it the perfect option for light sleepers who need silence during the night.
One of the things that you will love about this window air conditioner is that it can be installed in a wall or window. The window dimensions should be 30.3 x 25.5 x 16.9 inches, and the room should be approximately 700 square feet.
One of the main problems with window air conditioners is the uneven distribution of cold air. With this unit, you don’t have to adjust the direction of the unit to cool a specific zone in your room because it has Auto Air Sweep swing louvers that provide consistent and even distribution of air across the room.
This unit is energy efficient thanks to the money-saving features that it has. The 24-hour timer allows you to turn the AC on or off when you need to cool or stop cooling at your specified time. It also has a remote control that lets you adjust the temperature and other settings from anywhere in the room.
- Quiet operation
- Energy efficient
- Easy installation
- Cools the room evenly
- Remote control
- Washable design
- Relatively expensive
3. TCL Energy Star 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner
- Energy Star qualified: 11. 9 EER
- 15, 000 BTU window air conditioner from the UH series
- 8. 2-ft. power cord with LCDI plug uses 3-prong 115V electrical outlet
- Cools a room up to 700 sq. ft. with up to 4. 2 pints per hour dehumidification
- Modes include cool, dry, fan and auto
When you’re looking for an energy-efficient and portable window air conditioner, then the TCL Energy Star 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner is the right option to consider.
The good thing about this air conditioner is that it has an EER rating of 11.9, which saves a lot on energy costs. Since it’s a 15,000 BTU air conditioner, it can cool a smaller room faster.
If you have a small room you want to cool which is less than 700 sq. ft, the TCL Energy Star 15,000 BTU air conditioner can cool it without straining too much. The AC also comes with a power cord of length 8.2 feet. It also includes an LCDI plug which uses a 3-prong 115V electrical outlet.
It can cool a room of 700 square feet and up to 4.2 pints per hour dehumidification. Some of the included modes are cool, dry, fan, and auto features that make it easier to operate the air conditioner.
With the TCL Energy Star 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner, you can easily beat the heat without the need for a central cooling system. It’s suitable for cooling a bedroom, living room, or office. It also comes with remote control and a 24-hour ON and OFF timer.
- Energy star qualified
- It comes with a convenient power cord
- Cools a room of up to 700 square feet
- Excellent features like fan and auto
- The compressor doesn’t stay on for long
4. Amana 15,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
- 5, 000 btu air conditioner for window-mounted installation
- Product Dimensions: 15.30" D x 16.0" W x 12.50" H | Window opening maximum width (in.): 35 | Weight: 39.70 lbs
- Cools a room up to 150 sq. Ft. With up to 1.06 pints per hour dehumidification
- Mechanical rotary controls with 2 fan speeds (low and high)
- 8-Way directional air louvers directs the air where you need it
- Removable and washable air filter for convenient maintenance
The Amana 15,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner is a portable and affordable window air conditioner that you can easily mount on your window.
It comes with 3 cooling speeds and an auto that offers you cooling flexibility. There is also a 5.9 feet LCDI power cord that has 3-prong grounded plug, which uses a 115V electrical outlet.
With this window air conditioner, you can cool a room of a maximum size of 700 square feet. It runs up to 3.52 pints per hour dehumidification and includes an electronic control panel with a digital display. If you want to know how to use this air conditioner properly, a user manual is meant to make that process seamless.
When it comes to installation, the Amana 15,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner has got you covered. It’s very easy to install due to the available manual and its lightweight feature. The provided flexible comfort features also make it easier to use this air conditioner in your home.
Maintenance has also been made easy since it comes with a washable air filter that you can rinse every several weeks to ensure the AC offers you optimal performance.
- 3 cooling speeds
- Remote control
- Window-mounting kit
- Excellent manual
- East to install
- Too noisy when the compressor is running
- Due to the duct shape and airflow direction, the right vent doesn’t move enough air as the left vent.
- The blower fan is somehow out of balance and may vibrate a bit higher.
5. Whirlpool Energy Star 15,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
- Powerful Cooling Capacity: The 15,000 BTU window air conditioner is powerful enough to cool rooms up to 700 sq. ft. with 3.5 pints per hour of dehumidification including your apartment, bedroom, living room or any environment
- Functionality: Electronic control panel with digital display and 3 cooling speeds, eco mode, sleep mode, and programmable 24 hour on/off timer with 8-way directional air louvers to give consumers multiple options for comfort; Remote control included
- Energy Star Rated Cooling: Energy Star efficiency saves you money on your electric bill (11.9 EER)
- Easy to Install: Comes with a quick and effective window mounting kit that allows for easy installation in windows with minimum window height of 19"
- Replaceable Filter: Clean Alert indicates when air filters should be replaced or removed and washed for convenient maintenance
The Whirlpool Energy Star 15,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner makes you enter the realm of cool comfort, thanks to its excellent features, design, and portability.
It’s a unique window air conditioner that helps you save energy costs, and it’s also easy to install. It’s specifically designed to mount on a window, and the good news is that it doesn’t make too much noise when running.
It has a 4.9-foot LCDI power cord with a 3-prong grounded plug that uses about 115V electrical outlet. With the Whirlpool Energy Star 15,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner, you can cool a room of up to 700 square feet faster and efficiently, with up to 3.52 pints per hour dehumidification. It can conveniently fit into a window with a width of 28 inches minimum or 41 inches maximum.
This air conditioner also features a remote control with an LCD display that allows you to control it from across the room. There is also a programmable 24-hour ON and OFF timer provided that allows you to customize the AC’s cooling effect depending on your preferences.
Other features include 3 cooling speeds, eco mode, and sleep mode, which offer you the flexibility you need to keep your home cool and comfortable. Maintenance is also easy with the Whirlpool Energy Star 15,000 BTU 115V Window-Mounted Air Conditioner since the air filter is easy to remove and washable.
- Energy star compliant
- Remote control
- Easy to install
- It doesn’t blow cold air efficiently
- Not durable enough
- It sometimes emits a nasty smell
6. Emerson Quiet Kool EARC15RSE1 SMART 15,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner
- 3-in-1 Unit: Digital temperature controls with 3 cooling speeds at 15,000 BTUs, 3 fan speeds, and excess moisture removal up to 4.1 pints per hour
- Smart Capabilities: This Wi-fi enabled, through the wall air conditioner with voice controls pairs easily with both Amazon Alexa and Google Home so you can control your cooling from anywhere
- Quiet Operation: At 52dB on low, this unit is among the quietest in the industry, making it ideal for bedrooms, living rooms, apartments, and any other environment as it won't disturb your peace
- Washable Filter: Reusable easy-access filter alerts you when it is time to clean it for optimal efficiency
- Exclusive 1-2-5 Warranty: Your Emerson Quiet Kool air conditioner comes with an industry-exclusive 1-2-5 warranty that covers 1 year of labor, 2 years of parts, and 5 years on the compressor
The Emerson Quiet Kool EARC15RSE1 SMART 15,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner measures 25.4” D x 23.6” W x 17.9” H. It can comfortably fit into a window with a maximum width of 41 inches and a minimum opening height of 19 inches.
This window air conditioner has a total weight of 105.82 pounds and can comfortably cool a room of 700 square feet. One unique feature of this AC is its slide-out chassis.
The air conditioner has an energy star rating that shows it uses less energy, saving on electricity costs. It also features WIFI and voice control capabilities that work with Alexa and Google Home. When you buy this AC, you get a warranty of 1 year for labor, 2 years for parts, and 5 years for the compressor.
Some of its flexible options include a dry, cool fan, and auto mode. Electronic controls include 3 speeds, convenient cooling options, and a 24-hour ON and OFF timer.
The included WIFI feature allows you to control and monitor the air conditioner with your smartphone. Voice commands also make it easier to use the AC since they offer you a hands-free experience, and you get to enjoy peace of mind.
Using the Emerson Quiet Kool EARC15RSE1 SMART 15,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner will help you beat the summer heat and stay comfortable in your home.
- Cools faster
- Excellent features
- Easy to setup
- Easy to install
- Not durable enough
- Requires proper installation
If these units are too large for your room, you might want to consider these smaller options