Andersen crank windows, also popular as casement or crank windows, are the most popular replacement windows today. Homeowners love them for their superior security and ease of operation. You don’t have to worry about pushing the window open or reaching up to close your windows.
Casement windows are also the second most energy-efficient windows after fixed-pane windows. They feature an airtight seal that prevents air leakage in or out of the house when the window is closed. This guide should help you find the best air conditioner for Anderson crank windows.
Best Air Conditioner For Anderson Crank Windows Comparison Table
What is an Andersen Crank/Casement Window?
Casement or Andersen crank windows are hinged on the side and crank open outward to the left or right, allowing for full top-to-bottom ventilation.
Nearly all casement windows are operated using a crank mechanism mounted against the frame on the inside. Turning the handle causes a control arm to move, pushing the window open or pulling it closed.
Advantages of Andersen Crank Windows
As we’ve mentioned, the first main benefit of casement windows is that they offer maximum ventilation. The windows open up 180˚, unlike sliding windows that only open up half the space. Other advantages include;
- Unobstructed view: The casement window swings open like a door, offering an unobstructed view. There are no meeting rails like double-hung or other parts.
- Easy operation and cleaning: Opening or closing an Anderson crank window is as easy as pushing the handles. Cleaning them is even easier.
- Secure and modern: Casement windows lock better with multi-point locking mechanisms, adding an extra layer of security to your home.
Can you Put an AC in a Crank Out Window?
Yes. You can install an air conditioner in a crank-out window. Although you can’t use the traditional air conditioner kit, you can easily fabricate an insert to fit into the casement window, allowing you to vent the air conditioner.
Better still, there’s a new breed of air conditioners explicitly designed for Andersen crank windows. If you’re not prepared for the lengthy DIY work associated with repurposing the traditional window air conditioner for your casement window, consider buying these specialized crank window models.
How Do you Install an Air Conditioner in a Crank Window?
It’s a reasonably straightforward process. All you need to do is acquire a piece of Plexiglas from your local hardware, cut a hole in the Plexiglas for your vent hose, and secure the insert to your window frame using retainer clips or twist clamp. Make sure to caulk or weatherproof where the casing and window frame meet.
Do they Make Air Conditioners for Casement Windows?
Yes. A few manufacturers now make casement and horizontal sliding window air conditioners designed for vertical openings. If you have a crank window, a specialized casement AC would be easier to install and a better fit than traditional window air conditioners.
Best Air Conditioner For Anderson Crank Windows Reviews
1. Frigidaire FFRS0822S1 8000 BTU Heavy-Duty Slider Casement Remote Control Window AC
- Beat the heat while remaining cool and happy on hot summer days
- With 2344.57 W cooling power, enjoy a blast of cool air throughout your room
- Effectively cools area of up to 350 Sq. ft., this air conditioner is perfect for bedrooms
- Provides enough cooling in your room with 3 fan speeds
- Full-function remote control allows you to precisely control the temperature and fan speed from across the room
- Power source type: Corded Electric
- Mounting type: Casement/Slider
Another one-ton (8,000 BTU) air conditioner, the Frigidaire FFRS0822S1 casement window AC, is a powerful, reliable appliance explicitly designed for use with sliding horizontal or casement windows. It’s not suitable for standard double-hung window installation. It’s ideal for medium-sized applications, up to 350 square feet, and conveniently plugs into a standard 115V power outlet.
The AC offers three fan speeds, with the maximum speed rated at 263 CFM. This is more than sufficient for average-sized rooms. It’s also reasonably quiet at about 48.4 decibels. The lower fan setting is even quieter at about 44 decibels. You’ll also appreciate that it implements energy recovery for increased energy efficiency. It’s sated 10.8 EER.
There are several other features to love about this Frigidaire air conditioner. Four modes, Cool for general air conditioning, Fan-Only for drying and dehumidification (at 3 pints/hour), Energy-Saver for increased energy savings, and Sleep for quiet night operation mean your work is half done.
Meanwhile, the antibacterial, washable filters guarantee clean, healthy indoor air, whichever the mode. The timer also stands out. You can accomplish most of the controls from the easy-access onboard control panel or via the provided remote control.
The package includes all the installation materials, including the window mounting bracket and a 78.72-inch cord. It is UL listed and backed by a 1-year parts/labor and 5-year sealed system warranty.
- Doubles as a fan and dehumidifier
- Multiple fan speeds and operating modes
- Convenient remote control
- Durable build for long-term use
- 5-year sealed system warranty
- Professional installation required
- No heating options
2. Frigidaire FFRS1022R1 BTU 115V Slider/Casement Window Full-Function Remote Control AC
- Specially designed for casement-window or sliding-window installation - installation kit included (Not suitable for standard-window installation)
- 10,000 BTU air conditioner cools a room up to 450 sq. ft. with dehumidification up to 3.4 pints per hour (Uses standard 115V electrical outlet)
- Multi-speed electronic controls with 24-hr. on/off timer and full-function remote control
- Auto cool, Energy Saver mode, Sleep mode, 4-way air direction and washable mesh filter with check filter alert
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 10.4
- Window height- 21.5 inch minimum / 40 inch maximum. Minimum window width- 15.5 inch
Another great solution when looking to cool a room with casement windows is the Frigidaire FFRS1022R1 casement window air conditioner. It’s also a 10,000 BTU air conditioner designed for medium-sized rooms, up to 450 square feet, and features multiple speeds and operating modes for your convenience.
The 10.4 EER air conditioner is very easy to operate. A built-in programmable thermostat allows you to select the desired room temperature between 60 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Simultaneously, the three operating modes (cool, fan-only, and energy-saver) guarantee convenience and energy savings. The three fan speeds, i.e., Low, Medium, and High, allow you to pick the best speed to achieve the desired temperature. There’s also a sleep feature for greater convenience.
Additional features of the model FFRS1022R1 include the 4-way air directional louvers that allow you to focus airflow to areas where you need it most and a 24-hour timer to program the cooling process as you wish.
An easy-access onboard control panel towards the top makes changing settings a breeze. Alternatively, you can turn to the follow-me remote device. Whichever option you choose, you’re guaranteed reliable, quiet cooling at 58 decibels or less.
It’s designed for windows between 21.5 and 40 inches (height) and a maximum width of 15.5 inches and comes with washable mesh filters with check filter alerts.
- Auto cool, energy-saver, and sleep modes
- Features 3.4 pints/hour dehumidifier
- 4-way air direction flow
- Installation kit included
- 1-year parts, 4-year sealed system warranty
- No smart/Wi-Fi controls
- Requires professional installation
3. Perfect Aire 10,000 BTU Slider Air Conditioner Window A/C-Casement
- 10, 000 BTU cooling capacity
- Electronic controls (remote control included); auto restart function, sleep, dry, and energy saver modes
- Full range air direction control, slide-out filter access
- Window mounting kit included. Voltage : 110-120 V. Minimum Operating Temperature (Cooling) : 60 degrees F
- cULus listed, refrigerant
Finally, the 13 SEER PerfectAire model 3PASC10000 is another perfect air conditioner choice for a crank, casement, or horizontal sliding.
The 10,000 BTU air conditioner is designed for spaces up to 450 square feet and fits like a glove in architectural windows to save you installation costs. The expandable window mounting kit accommodates horizontal sliding and crank-out casement windows between 15 ½ and 16 ¼ inches wide and 21 ¼ to 39 ½ inches high.
Three fan speeds mean you’re sure to find the perfect airflow level for your cooling needs. You can keep the temperatures between 62˚F and 86˚F, equivalent to 17˚C to 30˚C. Washable, tilt-out air filters eliminate any foreign airborne particles to leave your indoor air clean and healthy. Simultaneously, a built-in check-filter function is included to remind you when it’s time to replace the filter.
The appliance features four modes – cool, dry, fan, and auto. The dry mode activates a dehumidifier process to remove excess moisture from your room, while the fan mode keeps only the fan running for moderate, energy-efficient cooling. Two additional features, the Sleep function for worry-free nights and a timer for programmable cooling, further enhance user convenience.
The product arrives with a one-year full-replacement warranty as long as you can provide the original purchase receipt. You can also choose an extended warranty, up to three years, for greater peace of mind.
- Functions as AC, dehumidifier, and fan
- Full-range air direction control
- Follow-me remote control
- Multiple modes and fan speed levels
- 1-year worry-free warranty
- Short, 1-year warranty
- Requires professional installation
4. Global Industrial Casement Window Air Conditioner 10,000 BTU
The model MWDUL-10CRN1-BCj4 Global Industrial casement window AC is a heavy-duty appliance designed for rough weather. It’s best suited to windows measuring 15 ½ to 16 ¼ (width) by 23- 39 7/16 inch (height) inches and comes in a durable metal cabinet for many years of reliable use. The cabinet is painted white.
Key features of the 115V, 10,000 BTU air conditioner include the high Energy Efficiency Rating (EER) of 10.4 and excellent ability to move air at 550 CFM (Max speed). There are two other fan speeds, i.e., 500 CFM in Medium mode and 450 CFM in Low mode.
This makes it ideal for rooms up to 450 square feet. The AC also doubles up as a dehumidifier, removing moisture at a rate of 2.3 pints/hour. The air conditioner and dehumidifier functions can operate together or separately. Washable filters trap unwanted airborne particles for clean, healthy indoor air.
Convenient onboard controls mean you can change or adjust AC speed and other settings with ease. The control panel is located towards the top from the front. Controls available from the panel include the on/off button, 24-hour timer, exhaust settings, fan, and mode options. Besides the onboard controls, you can also use the provided remote device for controls.
The 59 dB air conditioner is UL and CUL listed, and DOE certified. It arrives with a 3-prong grounded, 7.5-foot power cord and is backed by a 1-year parts/labor and 5-year sealed system warranty.
- Provides 4-way air cooling
- Replaceable, washable mesh filter
- Fully pre-assembled, installation kit included
- UL and CUL Listed, DOE Certified
- Reliable warranty, up to 7-years
- Requires professional installation
5. Koldfront CAC8000W BTU 115V Casement Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier
- 8000 BTU vertical window air conditioner engineered for spaces ranging in size from 300 to 350 square feet
- Designed to fit casement (left to right sliding) windows ONLY, and will not fit windows that slide up and down. Fits windows 15-1/2" to 16-1/4" wide with a minimum height of 21-1/4" when using the window panel retainer and a maximum height of 39-7/16" (minimum window height of 20-5/16" without the window panel retainer)
- Digital Display; Dehumidifier; Sleep Mode; 3 fan speeds; Remote control with 16ft range; LCDI 5-15P plug type
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 11.0 / Energy saver mode
- Includes all installation hardware and weather seals
The 75-pound, 8,000 BTU Koldfront model CAC8000W is designed for slightly smaller spaces in the region of 300 to 350 square feet.
It’s also designed explicitly for casement windows (left to right sliding) and will not fit windows that slide up and down. The window must be 15 ½ inches to 16 ¼ inches wide with a minimum height of 21 ¼ inches when using the window panel retainer or at least 39 7/16 inches without the panel retainer.
It’s an 11.0 EER appliance, which tells you its level of efficiency. This air conditioner can save you hundreds of dollars every year. It’s also quite versatile, with the three fan speeds (Low, Medium, and High) allowing you to choose the best climate for your room. At the maximum speed, the wheels deliver up to 235 CFM.
A fourth setting, Auto Mode, sets the AC to detect the ambient temperatures and automatically assign the best cooling level for optimal comfort.
Other key features of the model CAC8000W include the timer function for programmed use, a Sleep Mode for disturbance-free sleep, and a filter-check alert that blinks to remind you to check/replace the filter.
An LED display on the control panel displays the remaining time on the timer setting. It’s worth noting that the AC also doubles as a fan and dehumidifier. All the necessary installation hardware, including the window mounting kit, are included.
- Doubles as fan and dehumidifier
- Plugs in standard 115V outlet
- Durable build for long-lasting use
- Extremely energy efficient at 11.0 EER
- Not ETL certified or Energy Star compliant
- No smart controls
Now that you know at least five excellent casement window air conditioners, how would you pick the best one for your home? The rest of this guide discusses everything you should know.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Andersen Crank Window
Besides making sure that it’s an air conditioner specially designed for casement windows, the primary considerations are the same as any window AC.
- Capacity in BTU: The rule of thumb is to bring in 20 the BTU for every square foot. If you’re buying the AC for your 400 square-foot study room, a 20 x 400 = 8,000 BTU unit will suffice.
- Physical dimensions: Physical dimensions of both the appliance and the window are vital when buying any window air conditioner. Make sure the two are a good match.
- Energy efficiency: The best air conditioners are very energy efficient. Specifically, check the EER and SEER ratings. You want an 11+ EER and 16+ SEER rating.
- Ease of control: Though not a necessity, easy control increases user convenience. Therefore, look out for functions like remote control, timer, multiple speeds, and convenience modes.
- Warranty: A great casement window air conditioner is one that’s backed by a reliable warranty. You want at least a three-year warranty on the sealed system.
There you have it – a detailed guide to help you find the best air conditioner for Anderson crank windows. Remember that maintenance is critical to effective and energy-efficient air conditioning. It would help if you regularly clean your Andersen crank window AC and periodically schedule professional maintenance to keep it running at full potential.
Here are other air conditioning options for homes that don’t have ordinary windows