If you think you can’t install an air conditioner in your room because you have crank or casement windows, you may be pleased to discover that you have another option.
Ordinary window air conditioners are designed for double-hung windows. And so many homeowners don’t think that there are vertically structured AC units that accommodate sliders and casements.
Which is why we have reviewed the best casement window air conditioners. You’ll also learn what to consider when choosing the best vertical window air conditioner, how to install and maintain your unit to keep it efficient.
8. Best Casement Window Air Conditioner Reviews
1. Frigidaire FFRS1022R1 Slider/Casement Room Air Conditioner
- Specially designed for casement-window or sliding-window installation - installation kit included (Not suitable for standard-window installation)
- 10,000 BTU air conditioner cools a room up to 450 sq. ft. with dehumidification up to 3.4 pints per hour (Uses standard 115V electrical outlet)
- Multi-speed electronic controls with 24-hr. on/off timer and full-function remote control
- Auto cool, Energy Saver mode, Sleep mode, 4-way air direction and washable mesh filter with check filter alert
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 10.4
- Window height- 21.5 inch minimum / 40 inch maximum. Minimum window width- 15.5 inch
The Frigidaire FFRS1022R1 is designed for sliding and casement windows. It offers 10,000 BTU of cooling power, which is enough to cool rooms up to 450 square feet. With a dehumidification power of 3.4 pints per hour, it is able to remove excess moisture from your room, making it unfriendly to allergens such as mold and mildew.
This unit offers energy efficient form of cooling thanks to the 10.4 energy efficiency ratio. You can also turn on the energy save mode to conserve even more energy as it reduces the use of the compressor until the room temperature is above your set point.
This is an easy-to-operate slider window air conditioner since it is feature-packed. You can adjust the temperature suing the programmable thermostat, choose between the three cooling modes or three fan speeds to achieve your set temperature, or select the sleep feature to automatically adjust the temperature when you sleep.
It’s designed for casement windows with widths between 15.5 and 16.25 inches and heights of 21.5 to 40 inches.You can easily set up this unit within a few minutes and the installation kit is included.
- Energy efficient operation
- Simple to install (installation kit included)
- Easy to operate (user-friendly)
- Multiple operating modes
- Not energy star rated
- It can be a bit noisy when set at the highest speed.
2. Frigidaire FFRS0822S1 Slider Casement Window Air Conditioner
- Beat the heat while remaining cool and happy on hot summer days
- With 2344.57 W cooling power, enjoy a blast of cool air throughout your room
- Effectively cools area of up to 350 Sq. ft., this air conditioner is perfect for bedrooms
- Provides enough cooling in your room with 3 fan speeds
- Full-function remote control allows you to precisely control the temperature and fan speed from across the room
- Power source type: Corded Electric
- Mounting type: Casement/Slider
The Frigidaire FFRS0822S1 is exceptionally efficient and a low-cost option for adding targeted cooling to a room with casement windows. With 8,000 BTUs of cooling power, it’s ideal for small rooms up to 350 square feet.
Apart from cooling, it can dehumidify up to 3 pints per hour. It is, therefore, an excellent choice for rooms that are always too humid during the summer.
Install this unit in casement or sliding windows 15.5 inches wide and between 21.5 and 40 inches height. It uses a NEMA 5-15P plug type and the standard 115-volt/15-amp, 3-prong plug.
With an Energy Efficiency Rating of 10.8, the Frigidaire FFRS0822S1 only costs about $66 per year to operate. You can also take advantage of the energy saver mode for even more savings.
In addition to its energy efficiency, this window AC is very quiet – it only gets up to 55.1 dB on the highest level and fan speed. It is also equipped with a thermostat that maintains your ideal room temperature, a 24-hour timer, three-fan speeds, three-cooling modes, air direction control, washable air filter, and filter light reminder.
- Quiet operation even at its highest fan speed
- Energy efficient operation
- Easy to customize and adjust the temperature of your room
- Has a washable air filter to limit replacement costs
- It’s not energy star rated
- Doesn’t have a back cover option.
3. PerfectAire 3PASC10000 Slider Air Conditioner Window A/C
- Adjustable temperature settings that range 62°F - 86°F (17°C - 30°C); cools areas between 400-450 sq. ft.
- Expandable window mounting kit accommodates horizontal sliding or crank-out casement windows with a 15½”/16¼” (min./max.) window width and a 21¼”/39½” (min./max.) window height
- 3-speeds in both cool and fan modes
- Full function remote control with Follow Me portable thermostat technology for total room coverage
- Front-mounted, tilt-out air filter access for easing cleaning
If you’re looking for a unit that creates a comfortable living space, easy to install and operate, then this is the best slider casement window air conditioner. It cools rooms up to 450 square feet and ideal for bedrooms, offices, living rooms, dens, and other similar sized spaces.
Engineered with multiple operating modes, the Perfect Aire 3PASC10000 can provide individualized comfort every day of the year. It offers a powerful 10,000 BTUs of cooling and capable of removing excess moisture every hour to help eliminate muggy indoor air. And when it’s not quite warm enough for cooling, you can turn on the fan mode to circulate fresh air in the room.
A powerful cooling and dehumidification performance doesn’t have to be costly. Packed with energy-saving features, this Perfect Aire 3PASC10000 can keep you comfortable without breaking the bank. These features include an energy saver mode, auto mode, sleep mode, and programmable timer.
Since it comes with the installation materials, setting this air conditioner is simple. It’s designed for casement windows with widths between 15.5 inches and 16.25 inches and heights of 20.5 to 39.5 inches.
- Quick and easy to install
- Multiple operating modes
- Follow-me feature
- Reduced energy usage
- Offers a limited temperature range.
- It’s not energy star rated
4. Koldfront CAC8000W 8000 BTU 115V Casement Air Conditioner
- 8000 BTU vertical window air conditioner engineered for spaces ranging in size from 300 to 350 square feet
- Designed to fit casement (left to right sliding) windows ONLY, and will not fit windows that slide up and down. Fits windows 15-1/2" to 16-1/4" wide with a minimum height of 21-1/4" when using the window panel retainer and a maximum height of 39-7/16" (minimum window height of 20-5/16" without the window panel retainer)
- Digital Display; Dehumidifier; Sleep Mode; 3 fan speeds; Remote control with 16ft range; LCDI 5-15P plug type
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 11.0 / Energy saver mode
- Includes all installation hardware and weather seals
The Koldfront CAC8000W is a small vertical window air conditioner that cools, dehumidifies, and circulates fresh air in rooms between 300 to 350 square feet. Delivering up to 8,000 BTUs of cooling power, you’ll always achieve your desired cooling needs for your bedrooms, living rooms, and study rooms.
Apart from cooling, it’s also capable of achieving a powerful airflow using the 3 fan speeds and removing excess moisture using the dry mode. It’s energy star certified with an EER of 11.0, meaning it delivers a maximum cooling performance without wasting energy.
The Koldfront CAC8000W features other operating modes and usability functions for increased comfort all day and night. It has a sleep mode that ensures your sleep is uninterrupted, an energy saver mode that limits energy consumption, an electronic control panel that lets you see your current room temperature and remote control for operating the AC at the comfort of your sofa.
This unit is easy to install and comes with installation hardware and weather seals. It also meets the strict requirements set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Cools and dehumidifies
- Multiple operating modes
- Energy-efficient operation
- Eco-friendly operation
- Doesn’t work for windows that open up and down
- Requires a professional to install
5. Global Industrial Casement Window Air Conditioner
- Installation Kit Included
- Auto restart, Sleep mode, 24hr on/off timer, Follow Me, R410 A eco-friendly refrigerant
- Easily-Removable and Washable Filter Included
- BTU Cooling: 10,000
This is the best casement window ac to choose if you want a budget-friendly and energy-efficient unit with a powerful performance. It’s ideal for medium-sized spaces up to 450 square feet and capable of creating a gentle airflow during those hot, humid summer days.
While it’s simple to install with the included installation materials, it’s also easy to use thanks to the user-friendly features and operating modes that make it possible to achieve your desired cooling experience. If you don’t feel cool enough in a particular zone in your room, you can turn on the 4-way air direction to direct the airflow horizontally and vertically. The remote control also has a Follow Me function.
This unit’s auto restart feature lets it automatically restart and resume its last settings if a power outage occurs. You also don’t have to be around the house to set the unit, you can set the timer, and the AC will turn on or off automatically up to 24 hours in advance. And when you’re sleeping, select the sleep mode so that unit runs on its lowest speed. That way, the temperature will gradually increase, helping to reduce wasted energy.
- Eco-friendly and energy-efficient
- Remote with Follow Me
- Economical power consumption given its relatively
- 5-year warranty certification to guarantee quality.
- Efficient sleep mode features.
- Require no regular filter replacement.
- A little bit noisy
- Only warranted if purchased directly from the manufacturer
- Requires a minimum setting of 62 F for the unit’s temperature and compression-related features to work efficiently.
6. Arctic King AKSC08CR61 8,000 BTU Casement A/C
If you’re on a budget, I’d recommend you choose Arctic King AKSC08CR61 8,000 BTU Casement A/C. It’s less expensive than other models on this list and energy-efficient, helping reduce annual cooling costs.
Since it has 8000 BTU cooling power, it is ideal for small to medium rooms between 300 to 350 square feet. The company promises that the unit only takes about 20 minutes to cool your room. Apart from cooling, this casement air conditioner also removes 0.9 pints per hour of excess moisture from your room, leaving it dry and comfortable.
Cooling your space doesn’t have to break the bank. Energy Star qualified, the Arctic King AKSC08CR61 Window AC has been independently verified to operate efficiently by the relevant authorities. Also, it has an EER of 10.9, which means its more efficient.
The Arctic King is easy to install and maintain in your window. It fits in 16” width windows and has an easy to follow installation manual, so you won’t need to hire a professional to set it up. You don’t have to remove the whole unit to clean or change air filters – they are easily removable.
Overall, this is an affordable and small unit for a medium room. It won’t work effectively in large rooms. The company only offers 1-year warranty for parts and labor.
- energy efficient
- Easy to install
- Not a good choice for large rooms
- The company offers only 1-year warranty on parts and labor
7. Honeywell Contempo Series, Dehumidifier & Fan
- Stylish, Powerful & Dependable - Cools rooms up to 450 sq. ft. Thermal Overload protection for added safety & peace of mind. Automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool air evenly for fast & consistent cooling.
- Dual Filters designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filters clean easily under a faucet for easy maintenance. Full set window kit included for quick & easy installation for vertical and horizontal windows (Max. hose length is 4 feet).
- Designed for comfort with 3 fan speeds, Sleep mode, digital controls, 24 hour energy saving timer & remote control with digital display included
- Stress-free Auto Evaporation – no bucket to empty (except in areas with high humidity). Built-in Dehumidifier removes up to 80 pints/ 24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation
- 10000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 5500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard)
Do you want to install a portable air conditioner in your casement windows but not sure which one to choose? Or you’re not sure if a portable air conditioner is a right unit for you? It is possible to set up a portable unit in crank windows, even if it comes with the traditional window kit.
Honeywell Contempo Series Portable AC is one such unit. It has 10000 BTU capable of cooling rooms up to 450 square feet. If you live in a humid climate, you can take advantage of the built-in dehumidifier to remove excess moisture from your room. Designwise, it has a modern, sleek look with a blue and white exterior, blending into any room’s aesthetic without being distracting.
If you’re not sure what features to look for in a portable AC, this unit has everything you can ever want, all for optimal comfort and convenience. You can move it around without feeling the weight thanks to the caster wheels.
Are you not sure whether to use your AC at night? Don’t worry. This unit has a sleep mode and programmable timer that allows you to enjoy your night sleep without waking to switch it off. Turn on the sleep mode and set how long you want the unit to run. Once the time elapses, the unit switches off automatically.
Other features include three fan speeds, remote control, digital display, self evaporating system, and dual filters to protect the unit from dust and hair.
- Powerful and dependable
- Easy to move around
- Stress-free auto evaporation
- Dual filters to protect the unit from dust and hair.
- It can only be used for medium rooms. You can’t use it for large or small rooms.
8. Midea U Inverter Window Air Conditioner 12,000BTU
- More than 35% Energy Savings: With the advanced DC Inverter technology, Midea U achieves over 35% energy savings compared to other traditional units, and it's the first window AC to obtain the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient 2020 Certification. You may also get exclusive benefits from your local energy distributor
- Extreme Quiet: 9 times quieter than some traditional units. The U-shape blocks the noise from the cooling system using your window. This design allows for extremely quiet operation as low as 42 dBA - almost as quiet as a library – so you can get a restful night’s sleep or binge your favorite shows undisturbed
- Flexible window open: Midea U-shaped design allows your window to open, bringing fresh air into your home anytime allowing you to maintain more of your view
- Smart Control: The Midea U is Wi-Fi- enabled, it can be controlled from anywhere through the cloud using the MideaAir app on iOS or Android. You can also use voice commands with Alexa or Google Assistant if you prefer
- Robust Installation: Support bracket is included for a more robust installation that supports the unit with the window open or closed.Available for single-hung or double hung window with size: 22 - 36 inches, minimal height at 13.75 inches.
It is not often that you find a window air conditioner that you install and still be able to open the window. That’s what this unit offers. But that’s not all it has to offer since there are many features that you’ll find amazing in this unit.
How much space does it cool? It provides 12,000 BTU of cooling power that is enough for medium rooms between 450 to 550 square feet.
The biggest advantage you get by purchasing this unit is energy efficiency. With the advanced DC Inverter technology, the company claims that the unit will save up to 35 percent on your cooling energy compared to other traditional units. Moreover, it’s tested for energy efficiency and became the first unit to obtain the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient 2020 Certification.
Noise is something that we all hate, especially it comes to our home appliances. The good thing is Midea U Inverter Window Air Conditioner is 9 times quieter than some traditional units, so you won’t be distracted when it’s running. It has a decibel rating of 42 dBA.
The Wi-Fi control option allows you to control the unit from anywhere with just your smartphone and a downloaded MideaAir app on iOS or Android. It also works with voice-activated devices like Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
Just because it is U-shaped doesn’t mean it’s hard to install. The shape is to help you install it easily and quickly. All support brackets and installation materials are included.
- More than 35% Energy Savings
- Extreme Quiet – 42 dBA
- Flexible – you can open your windows
- Easy and quick installation
- Smart controls
Huge and heavy – you’ll need a helping hand during installation.