The sweltering summer heat can be very uncomfortable. The least you can ask for is a cold room to relax in. For a small-sized room, installing a window unit is the best option. It is compact, affordable, and reliable.
If you have a room with narrow windows and you have qualms about getting the right air conditioner, don’t worry, we have conducted extensive research on the best narrow window air conditioner for your room. Invest in an efficient unit and enjoy your summers in a chilled, comfortable environment without any regrets.
We have listed down our best picks for air conditioners for narrow windows. Go through the list to select one that suits your needs:
Best Narrow Window Air Conditioner Comparison Table
How to Properly Size a Window Air Conditioner
Before making a buying decision, it is important first to carry out your research and analyze what size of air conditioner you need to buy. An impulsive or spontaneous buying decision can lead to buying a less or more powerful unit than you need, thus, wasting your hard-earned money. We have explained below, the procedure to properly size a window air conditioner.
The Installation Type
First things first, you must analyze what kind of installation you are looking for when choosing your window air conditioner. Some AC units are designed for standard window sizes, while others are designed to be installed on a custom-created wall space with the help of specialized mounting hardware. Some air conditioners can also be installed in casement windows.
There are two types of installations:
- Window: Make sure you are keeping the dimensions of your window in mind before choosing your AC. Window-mounted air conditioners are sometimes only designed to be fitted into a sliding or casement window. So if you have standard double-hung windows, you need to reconsider your decision.
- Wall: If you are looking for a through-the-wall air conditioner, keep in mind, not every window AC model is built for wall installations. Carefully note down the specifications of the AC unit and check if your wall has enough space to accommodate it.
Calculating the Size
Getting the right size air conditioner is important because an AC with a low BTU reading will struggle to cool your room efficiently, and an AC with high cooling power will freeze your room. Both situations can make you very uncomfortable and put your hard-earned money down the drain.
Air conditioners use BTU for determining the cooling power of the AC. The first step is to measure the dimensions of your room. To calculate the square feet of your room, multiply the width and the length.
The next step is calculating the BTU, for that divide the square feet with 0.05. Here is a list of general sizing that you can use to determine the BTU required for the size of your room. But if you need a slightly large unit, we have reviewed the best window air conditioners for large rooms.
100 to 300 square feet = 5,000 to 6,500 Btu
250 to 400 square feet = 7,000 to 8,500 Btu
350 to 650 square feet = 9,800 to 12,500 Btu
Inspecting the Electrical Outlet
Last, but not least, inspect the electrical outlet near the place you are going to install the AC. Most window air conditioners for small rooms come in 115 – 240 volts models. Each requires a different outlet, so it is important to determine this before purchasing the unit.
Features to Consider when Choosing a Narrow Air Conditioner for your Room
Now that you know the installation type, appropriate size, and the electrical outlet for your Window AC, it is important to conduct thorough research of the other features to find the best narrow window air conditioner for your room. We have listed below the features that will help you select the right slim window air conditioner for your room.
- Dehumidifier: It is the ideal feature for people with dust allergies as this feature removes excess air and water from your room and purifies the air and removes bad odor.
- Eco Mode: The eco mode is an important feature if you are looking for an energy-saving air conditioner that provides low utility bills.
- Energy-Efficiency: It is always advisable to look for Energy Star-rated air conditioners. The energy-efficient ratio (EER) of the model will also give you an idea of how efficient the air conditioner is. The higher the EER, the more energy you can save. A 24- hour on/off timer is also a feature to look for if you are searching for an energy-efficient AC. By maintaining the temperature, it saves not only energy but also your precious money.
- Exterior: The exterior of the air conditioner is as important as its interior features. As mentioned above, your AC is your long-term investment, so you want it to be durable for a long period. An anti-corrosion body will ensure a long life span for your air conditioner
- Filter Alert: Checking the filters of your AC frequently can be a big hassle. The filter alert feature of your air conditioner notifies you when you need to clean your filters.
- 24-Hour On/Off timer: This feature enables your air conditioner to work around your custom schedule. If you want to come home to a cool room after a long day at work, time your air conditioner as per your schedule.
- AC/Heater combination: It’s always a delight to have two things in the price of one. Having a window air conditioner with heat combo can prove your appliance to be versatile for both seasons.
- LED Remote: The LED remote helps you to see, set, and maintain the temperature from anywhere in the room.
- Auto Restart: In case of a power outage, the operation of your AC gets interrupted. The auto-restart feature enables your AC to restore its previous settings before turning off.
- Fan Speed Adjustments: Most air conditioning units come with a 3 fan mode these days; it allows you to change the temperature of the room with flexibility.
- Air Direction Control: The air direction control makes your AC more efficient and cools the room quickly. A multi-directional feature will ensure good airflow and your room will get cold quickly.
- Ultra-Quiet Operation: Your window air conditioning system should not only be efficient and cool the room fast, but it also should not be noisy as well. Sometimes, the AC makes a loud, rattling sound that is very unpleasant to the ears. It can be very distracting and annoying, especially by messing up your sleep schedule.
These are some of the features that are instrumental in making a buying decision. Remember, the requirements could differ from person to person, so analyze your needs before making a final call.
Window Air Conditioner Maintenance
Regular maintenance of your narrow window air conditioner is important to ensure efficient cooling for your room. Below are a few tips for the maintenance of the window AC units.
Filter Cleaning: For a narrow window air conditioner that doesn’t have reusable filters, it is advisable to replace filters every 2 months. For washable filters with filter alert feature, use warm water with a mild detergent to wash them to free the filters of any dirt or dust.
Evaporator and Condenser Coil Cleaning: The evaporator and condenser coil should also be inspected for dirt or dust buildup, along with filters. If contaminated by dirt, the evaporator coil lowers its performance capabilities. For a regular cleaning routine, vacuum the coils using a brush. For a detailed cleaning procedure, remove the unit from its casting and rinse the coils and apply a natural cleaner and rinse off again.
Straightening the Fins: Continuous heating can bend the fins. It not only lowers the efficiency but increases the operating cost. A tool called the fin comb can straighten the fins. The size of the teeth is built to match the spacing of the fins of the AC. It takes multiple attempts to get the fins back in shape, but it is important to get them fixed.
Fans and Pan Cleaning: The fans and pan can both be easily cleaned with warm water and mild detergent used for cleaning the filters. Make sure to slide the dirty water properly from the pan at the bottom of the unit to ensure the drain hole doesn’t get debris built up.
Call a Professional AC Maintenance Service: While you carry out your own maintenance, it is recommended to call a professional maintenance service for your periodic AC maintenance and inspection. An AC technician will check for any refrigerant leaks, airflow, and make sure all electrical components are working fine. It is advisable to get a thorough inspection by an AC technician before the summer season approaches or even better in the fall season.
Best Narrow Window Air Conditioner
1. Frigidaire FGRC1044T1 Smart Window Air Conditioner with Wifi Control
- Wi-Fi ready connected room air conditioner with Frigidaire Smart App for mobile operation
- 2017 Energy Star: 12.0 Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER)
- 10,000 BTUs cools up to a 450 square foot room with 3 pints per hour dehumidification
- Use your smart device to turn the unit on or off, change temerature, control modes and adapt fan speeds
- Schedule room temperature while you are away and cool your room before you return home for instant comfort
- Voltage: 115.0 volts_of_alternating_current
- Wattage: 830 watts
- Track hours of use during any given period and get notices such as filter cleaning due
The Frigidaire FGRC1044T1 with 10000 BTU of cooling power is suitable for rooms up to 440 square feet in size. Its unique features include a built-in WiFi and smart app.
The smart app can be operated from your smartphone to turn the AC on/off, adjust temperature, control modes, and fan speed. The smart app can also track hours of use and filter cleaning notifications.
The Frigidaire window AC can fit into a window of a minimum height of 18-1/6”, with window width dimensions of 24″-40″ maximum. It comes with electric specifications of 115V 60Hz|Watts and an extra-long power cord of 6.5 ft.
It has 2-way slanted louvers for multi-directional airflow. The clean air ionizer provides relief to people with allergies by removing air impurities. It also features an energy saver and sleep mode to save energy and generate low bills.
Its 3-fan speeds provide cooling flexibility, while the automatic restart system restores settings before a power outage.
This is a modern and sleek design with new magnetic closure, which allows filters to be easily removed for washing. A little drawback can be the rattling sound of fans after an extensive period of use.
Other than that, this Frigidaire window air conditioner is an ideal AC for narrow windows with an Energy Star certification and warranty.
- Built-in WiFi connection
- Smart app for mobile operation
- Clean air ionizer
- Sleek and modern design
- Energy saver mode
- Extra-long power cord
- Energy Star certified
- The fan can create a rattling noise
- Doesn’t come with a mounting kit
- Display hard to read from a distance
2. Frigidaire FFRS0822S1 Heavy-Duty Slider Casement Window Air Conditioner
- Beat the heat while remaining cool and happy on hot summer days
- With 2344.57 W cooling power, enjoy a blast of cool air throughout your room
- Effectively cools area of up to 350 Sq. ft., this air conditioner is perfect for bedrooms
- Provides enough cooling in your room with 3 fan speeds
- Full-function remote control allows you to precisely control the temperature and fan speed from across the room
- Power source type: Corded Electric
- Mounting type: Casement/Slider
The Frigidaire FFRS0822S1 with 8000 BTU of cooling power can cool rooms up to 350 square feet in size. This unit is specifically designed for sliding windows or casement windows with these dimensions: width: 14.2”, height: 20.25″, and depth: 23.5″. It is not suitable for standard double-hung windows.
This window AC comes with remote control and ready-select options, which are easy to select with the touch of a button. It has a dehumidification rate of 3 pints per hour. The filter alert option notifies when the filters need cleaning. It has a 3-fan speed for cooling flexibility.
The sleep mode and energy saver mode ensures you can preserve more energy, thereby leading to reduced utility bills. For an efficient airflow, you can take advantage of the 4-way directional control that distributes cool air across every corner of the room, eliminating hot zones.
This is an Energy Star-certified air conditioner with a 10.9 energy-efficiency ratio (EER). The low-power startup and a quiet operational noise allow you to sleep in a comfortable, relaxed environment.
If you have relatively slim windows, you can use the adjustable panels to hold the unit in place. When installing the ac, you don’t have to worry about where your socket is because the power cord is long enough.
- Filter Alert
- Extra-long power cord
- Adjustable panels
- Remote control
- Quiet operation
- Energy Star certified
- Ready-select controls
- 4-way directional control
- Difficult to install
- Not suitable for a standard window
3. Frigidaire FFRS1022R1 Slider/Casement Room Air Conditioner
- Specially designed for casement-window or sliding-window installation - installation kit included (Not suitable for standard-window installation)
- 10,000 BTU air conditioner cools a room up to 450 sq. ft. with dehumidification up to 3.4 pints per hour (Uses standard 115V electrical outlet)
- Multi-speed electronic controls with 24-hr. on/off timer and full-function remote control
- Auto cool, Energy Saver mode, Sleep mode, 4-way air direction and washable mesh filter with check filter alert
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): 10.4
- Window height- 21.5 inch minimum / 40 inch maximum. Minimum window width- 15.5 inch
The Frigidaire FFRS1022R1 with 10,000 BTU of cooling power is suitable for cooling a room up to 450 square feet in size. It is specially designed for casement windows or sliding windows with dimensions of 23.5 x 14.5 x 20.2 inches. It uses a standard 115 electric outlet, which makes it a convenient window AC option.
It has an antibacterial filter, which removes any airborne particles or false odor from the room. It has a dehumidification rate of 3.4 pints per hour.
The clean air filter notifies the time for washing the filters. It comes with a remote with ready-select electronic controls that allow easy select options with the touch of a button.
The effortless restart mode enables you to restore previous settings before a power outage. The sleep mode helps save energy and the cost of operating it. The 24-hour on/off timer schedules the programming, as per your convenience.
The 4-way air direction and 3-speed fan ensure efficient cooling. It comes with an extra-long 3 prong cord that makes it a super convenient air conditioner to operate.
It comes with a window mounting kit that benefits the easy installation process. With a low power startup and quiet operation cost, it enables you to sleep in a content, carefree atmosphere.
- Extra-long 3 prong cord
- Clean air filter
- Remote control included
- Antibacterial filter
- 4-way air direction
- Window-mounting kit included
- Quiet operation
- No Wifi or app control
- No heater
- Not suitable for standard window
4. Kenmore Smart 04277107 Room Air Conditioner Works with Amazon Alexa
The Kenmore Smart 04277107 with 10,000 BTU of cooling power cools rooms up to 450 square feet in size. This window air conditioner has a dimension of 22.2 x 23.6 x 15 inches.
The highlight of this air conditioner is its smart app that provides you with the convenience to connect your AC anywhere. The smart app helps to turn the AC on/off, set temperatures, set schedules, and control the modes from your smartphone or tablets anywhere.
Moreover, this AC operates with Alexa as well, once you link your account with it. It comes with an electrical control panel and remote to change the settings on your fingertips. This unit has 3-fan speeds for cooling, according to your flexibility.
The dry mode dehumidifies the air and removes moisture for efficient cooling. It comes with easily washable filters and 6.2 feet extra-long power cord.
The Kenmore Smart AC is designed to save energy. It is Energy Star certified with an excellent energy efficiency Ratio (EER) of 12.1 and a Combined Energy-Efficiency Ratio (CEER) of 12.0. It helps to conserve energy and reduce your utility bills.
- Smart AC app
- Works with Alexa
- Energy Star certified
- Electronic control panel
- 3-fan speeds
- Extra-long power cord
- App difficult to set-up
5. Global Industrial Casement Window Air Conditioner with Remote
The Global Industrial casement window air conditioner has a cooling power of 10,000 BTU. It is the best unit for cooling rooms up to 450 square feet with a dehumidification rate of 2.5 pints per hour.
It is perfect for a casement or sliding window only with dimensions of 23.5 x 14.6 x 20.9 inches. It has 115 V electrical specifications.
It comes with a remote control to set the temperature from across the room. This AC comes with a variety of settings, including the energy-saving mode.
The energy-saving mode, along with the eco-friendly refrigerant, helps to conserve energy and operating costs. Although it’s not Energy Star-certified, it has an energy-efficient rating of 10.4 (EER).
This air conditioner has 3-fan speeds and 4-way direction, making it an efficient cooling system, although it can be a little noisy. The 24-hour on/off feature helps to program the AC as per your schedule. The auto-restart feature restores the previous settings. The washable filter helps to get clean filters without replacement.
The Global industrial casement AC is an easy-to-install unit that comes with an installation kit. It comes with a long power cord, which makes it convenient to operate.
- Installation kit included
- 4-way direction
- Washable filter
- Energy-saving feature
- Long power cord
- Not for standard window
- Not Energy Star certified
6. PerfectAire Slider Air Conditioner Window A/C – Casement
- 10, 000 BTU cooling capacity
- Electronic controls (remote control included); auto restart function, sleep, dry, and energy saver modes
- Full range air direction control, slide-out filter access
- Window mounting kit included. Voltage : 110-120 V. Minimum Operating Temperature (Cooling) : 60 degrees F
- cULus listed, refrigerant
The PerfectAire window air conditioner has a 10,000 BTU of cooling power with the capacity to cool rooms up to 450 square feet in size. It comes with a mounting kit that expands to accommodate horizontal sliding or crank-out casement windows with a 15½”/16¼” (min. /max.) window width and a 21¼”/39½” (min./max.) window height.
It has full range directional control and adjustable temperature settings that range 62°F – 86°F (17°C – 30°C), thereby making it an efficient cooling unit. It comes with a ‘Follow Me’ remote, with user-friendly, soft-touch buttons and thermostat technology, which enables a full room coverage system.
The front-mounted, tilt-out filters make them easy to clean. It comes with a 2-hour on/off timer and sleep mode for convenience. The energy saver mode conserves energy and lowers your electricity bills, although it’s not Energy Star-rated.
The restart mode restores the previous settings before shutting down. Its quiet operation allows you to enjoy undisturbed sleep at night. With a 1-year warranty, the PerfectAire is an ideal and reliable window air conditioner for your house.
- ‘Follow Me’ function
- Window mounting kit
- Front-mounted air filter
- Energy saver mode
- Protective rear grille
- Quiet operation
- 1- year warranty
- Not Energy Star rated
- Only for horizontal sliding or casement windows.
7. Kenmore 77063 Window-Mount Air Conditioner
The Kenmore 77063 window mount air conditioner is great for small rooms up to 250 square feet in size, with a cooling power of 6,000 BTU and 115 volts of power requirements.
The AC size fits both casement and sliding windows with dimensions of Cabinet Height 20.25”, Cabinet Width 14.2”, and Cabinet Depth 23.5”. The minimum window dimensions are 21.5″ x 15.5″ and maximum are 40″ x 15.5″.
It has 3 cooling speeds and 3 fan speeds for your cooling preferences. The 4-way directional control ensures efficient cooling coverage. It has easy-to-use electronic controls. The remote has soft buttons, but no electronic LCD panel.
It has sleep and energy saver modes for reduced energy consumption and operational costs. Although it is not Energy Star-rated, it has an energy-efficient rating of 10.8 (EER). It comes with a 6 feet long power cord.
The 24-hour on/off timer and filter check reminder, along with the features mentioned above, makes the Kenmore 77063 window mount AC ideal for cooling compact rooms at an affordable price.
- Filter check reminder
- 4-way directions
- Energy-saving mode
- 3 cool speeds
- Long power cord
- Remote control
- No electronic LCD panel
- Not Energy Star rated
Your air conditioner is your long-term investment. Buying the wrong one because of a lack of research can cost you. Purchasing the right narrow window air conditioner is not hard, given; you are well-informed of the window air conditioners and their features.
We have listed our top picks for the best narrow air conditioner window units for you to choose from. If you have gone through this article, hopefully, you have analyzed your requirements and can make a wise buying decision now.
Make your summers relaxed and comfortable and choose the right model for your room, keeping in mind the features and your needs.