If you don’t want to empty your cooling unit’s full water tray, consider using one of the best fully self-evaporating portable air conditioners.
These types of units don’t need to be drained frequently. They have an inbuilt condensation exhaust that expels the moisture during the cooling and dehumidification process. This water vapor is released to the outside together with the hot exhaust air through a hose.
There are many benefits to choosing a self evaporating portable air conditioner, which we have discussed in the next section. However, you have to consider a few factors before you can pick an ideal unit.
If you don’t want to go through all the hassle, I have narrowed down the list to five products that will function effectively depending on the size of your room.
Best Fully Self-Evaporating Portable Air Conditioners Table
What is Self Evaporating Portable Air Conditioner?
Aside from just blowing cool air into a room, air conditioners also blow moisture out of a room and into the air conditioning unit.
The tricky part is that this moisture has to go somewhere. Self-evaporating air conditioners are quickly becoming popular due to their added feature of automatically removing moisture for you without a hassle.
The benefit of using a self evaporating portable air conditioner is that it eliminates the need to manually empty its water collection tray, which is usually necessary with the traditional air conditioners. Self-evaporating ACs are also called “no-drip units” since water doesn’t drip from their rear side.
This happens because the AC unit recycles half of the condensed water, which is then used to cool down the inner cooling coils and allows the unit to run efficiently.
How Does Self Evaporating Portable Air Conditioner Work?
Unlike traditional air conditioners, the self-evaporating portable air conditioner works quite differently. First, they condense the excess moisture from the air during the refrigeration and then cycle it through the cooling system to provide more cooling efficiency.
After that is done, the unit then re-evaporates or expels this moisture into its hot air exhaust vent, thereby dispersing the remaining moisture outside the air with hot air, which is the natural by-product of this process.
What this means for the user is that you won’t need to drain anything into the container since most of the moisture formed during the cooling process has been exhausted out of the room. Additionally, self-evaporating air conditioners are energy-efficient.
Do you Need a Fully-Evaporative Portable Air Conditioner?
The answer to this question highly depends on your preferences. If you always have to keep on emptying the water-catcher tray of your AC unit, and this drives you nuts, then it’s high time you get a fully-evaporative portable air conditioner.
This type of air conditioner will also help you stay cool and comfortable during the hot summer season. With an evaporative air conditioner, you won’t need to drain the hoses or the water-catching tray of your AC unit.
It is an ultra-cool type of air conditioner that will efficiently re-evaporate all the moisture that it has condensed from the air. And expel it through the vent hose to the outside.
Do You Have to Empty Water from a Portable Air Conditioner?
Unfortunately, most portable and traditional air conditioners need to be drained regularly. This can be a hassle sometimes, but it has to be done one way or the other. This is why people nowadays are opting for self-evaporating portable air conditioners.
Traditional air conditioners need to be emptied because when you’re using them, the air isn’t blown back out the way cold air needs to be sent out of the room to create ventilation.
The disadvantage of this lack of ventilation is that you’ll have an AC that blows out both cold and hot air, which ends up defeating the entire process. That is why you have to constantly empty water from a portable air conditioner.
How Often Do You Have to Empty a Portable Air Conditioner?
The recommended period you need to take to empty a portable air conditioner is approximately 8 hours. We are talking about the manual removal of water from the water-catching tray of your air conditioner. To do this, you need to have a drain pan or bucket, or you can also move your AC to a convenient place to drain it in a sink.
The process involves locating the drain plug on the back of your AC or side and then removing it together with the rubber stopper. This will completely drain the water tank.
What Happens if You Don’t Drain Your Portable Air Conditioner?
Portable air conditioners need to be drained water properly after long use or every 8 hours of continuous working. If you don’t vent your AC unit outside or into another room, the hot air will remain trapped inside the space.
The less humidity there is in a space or room, the cooler it will feel. When you fail to drain your portable air conditioner, the moisture will continue to build up, thereby neutralizing your AC’s cooling effect.
Benefits of Self Evaporating Portable Air Conditioners
Here are some of the benefits of self-evaporating portable air conditioners:
- They reuse condensed moisture, which eliminates the need to drain any water collected. Therefore, you won’t need to keep on venting your AC unit every 8 hours like you have to with traditional air conditioners.
- Less maintenance: Since they don’t require regular water draining, self-evaporating ACs are easy to use and maintain.
- Energy-efficient: Another notable benefit of self-evaporating portable air conditioners is that they don’t consume a lot of electricity. They are convenient and efficient to use in your home.
- Easy to install and use: Self-evaporating portable air conditioners are easy to install and use, which means anyone can use them in their home or commercial space.
Here are other portable air conditioners you can consider
Best Fully Self-Evaporating Portable Air Conditioners Reviews
1. De’Longhi PACN285GN Portable Air Conditioner
The De’longhi PACN285GN is a powerful portable air conditioner that can cool, dehumidify and ventilate (fan) rooms up to 550 square feet. It features “no-drip” technology that automatically recycles condensed moisture within the unit, thus preventing leaks as it operates.
It also features a programmable thermostat, three fan speeds, and a 12 hour on/off timer, features that give you full control of your indoor climate. It comes with a full-function remote with an LCD that allows you to control the unit from across the room. You can easily read the AC’s settings from across the room on the front lighted display, even in the dark.
The De’longhi PACN285GN takes minutes to set up, and you don’t require any tools for that. It also has built-in caster wheels and integrated handles that allow you to move it from room to room without difficulty.
- It performs three functions in one for maximum comfort
- It operates quietly
- It comes with a remote control
- It has three fan speeds
- It has a programmable thermostat.
- If you live in highly humid areas, you may need to drain the unit frequently.
2. Whynter ARC-14SH Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner with Heater
- 14,000 BTU (ASHRAE) / 9,000 BTU (SACC) cooling capacity
- Award Winning: 1. Good Housekeeping's "2020 Best Overall" and "can cool down a room faster than other portable units" 2. Consumer Report's 2020 Highest Score; UL listed
- Dual hose operation; Cools up to a 500 square feet space(ambient temperature and humidity may influence optimum performance); Dehumidifying capacity: 71 pints per day; Air Flow (at high speed): 430 m3/h / 253 CFM; 3 fan speeds
- Full thermostatic control (61°F - 89°F) with digital readout, 24 hour programmable timer; Eco-friendly CFC free green R-32 refrigerant; Patented auto drain function fully exhausts all condensate automatically in most environments
- Three operational modes: Air conditioner, dehumidifier, fan & heater; Cooling capacity 14000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 9500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard); Heating capacity 13000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard)/ 8200 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard); Maximum power consumption: Cooling 1300 W / 11.6 A; Heating 1000 W / 11.6 A
The Whynter ARC-14SH is an eco-friendly portable air conditioner powerful enough to cool spaces up to 500 square feet.
It has four independent operating modes, convenient for more personalized climate control. You can use it as a cooler, a heater, a fan, or a dehumidifier that can remove up to 101 pints of excess moisture per day.
This unit features advanced auto drain technology, which uses and recycles the moisture collected during the cooling process to produce cold air.
It has a programmable thermostat that allows you to choose the most comfortable cooling or heating temperature as you please. You can read all your unit settings with ease on the front digital display. Also, you can easily operate the unit from across the room with the featured remote control.
This Whynter unit has a washable pre-filter that traps large particles like dust and pet dander, and an activated carbon filter that removes smoke and other odors from your space.
The Whynter ARC-14SH is easy to install, and it comes with a full installation kit that includes extendable intake and exhaust hoses and a window kit.
- Roller casters make it easy to move around
- It automatically shuts down when the water tank is full
- It operates quietly
- It performs four functions
- It is eco friendly
- In heat mode, you have to drain the tank continuously for the unit to operate efficiently.
3. Friedrich ZoneAire PH14B Portable 4-In-One Air Conditioner
- 3-IN-1 SYSTEM - Air conditioner, dehumidifier and fan operated by a remote control
- SELF EVAPORATING - Self evaporation condensate system means no bucket to empty
- DRAIN PUMP - Built-in drain pump to remove condensate in heat pump mode
- PEACE OF MIND - Condensate overflow protection and auto restart after a power outage
- SPECIFICATIONS - 19.5 x 15.5 x 33.5 inches
The Friedrich ZoneAire PH14B portable air conditioner produces 13,500 BTUs of cooling power to chill spaces up to 500 square feet quickly. It is perfect for apartments, offices, and other locations where wall or window mounting is not an option.
It has a dual hose exhaust system that allows for more efficient cooling by re-circulating conditioned air back into the room instead of venting outside. This cools your space 40% faster than single-hose designs. It also has a self-evaporative system that evaporates the condensate meaning there are no water tanks to empty.
This Friedrich unit is easy to install, and a full installation kit comes with the package. It also has roller casters and sturdy handles that make it easy to move from one room to another.
- It has a dual hose exhaust system
- It has a self-evaporating condensation system, so maintenance is hassle-free
- It performs four functions in one (cooling, heating, ventilation, and dehumidification)
- Automatic restart with all previous settings intact
- Comes with a full installation kit
- It has a remote control
- It has an antimicrobial filter.
- It has a low EER rating. (9.5)
4. Honeywell MM14CCS Portable Air Conditioner
- Your purchase includes One Honeywell MM14CCS Portable Air Conditioner, installation accessories and remote control.
- 3-in-1 Honeywell Portable AC with Fan & Dehumidifier that covers rooms up to 550-700 sq. Ft with 14,000 BTU. Automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool/warm air evenly for fast & consistent cooling/heating
- Specifications: Dehumidifier removes up to 90 pints per day | Adjustable temperature – 61 °F to 89°F | Air Flow – 265 CFM | Hose length – 3.94 Ft | Hose diameter – 5”
- Dual filters designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filters clean easily under a faucet for easy maintenance
- Thermal overload protection for added safety & peace of mind. Dual Dust Filtration extends product life and performance by keeping internal system clean
The Honeywell MM14CHCS is a 4-in-1 unit that combines an air conditioner, a dehumidifier, a fan, and a heater in one portable appliance. It is powerful enough to treat rooms between 500-700 square feet, making it ideal for bedrooms, living rooms, even offices.
Most Air conditioners have to be manually drained when moisture builds up inside the unit, but this Honeywell unit has a self-evaporating system, which means non-drain operation. In highly humid areas, this appliance offers you a continuous draining option, so maintenance remains hassle-free.
This Honeywell unit also has dual filters designed to trap dust, hair, and other large particles to extend product life and maintain efficient performance. These filters are washable and reusable. It is also UL and ETL certified to meet the strict but applicable US safety standards too.
The Honeywell MM14CHCS is easy to install, and it comes with a full set installation kit for vertical and horizontal windows.
- It has a self-evaporating system and a continuous drain option
- 4-in-1 functionality
- Easy o operate with lit display and remote control
- It has adjustable airflow control
- It has a 24-hour timer and a programmable thermostat.
- This unit is pricey
5. Soleus Air LX-140 Evaporative Portable Air Conditioner
- VERSATILE FAN: Ventilation fan helps eliminate humidity, tobacco smoke, and cooking odors. Install the compact fan between ceiling joists or wall studs - wherever it's needed most!
- EFFICIENT: Fan circulates air past replaceable activated charcoal filter to continually cycle the air in enclosed spaces
- EASY INSTALLATION: Includes fast snap-in metal housing for a quick and simple installation
- DECORATIVE: White polymeric grilles are the perfect addition to your existing decor
- FEATURES: Plug-in, removable motor with the polymeric impeller wheel for high-quality operation every time
The Soleus Air LX-140 is an excellent ac choice offering you a 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner, a 14,200 BTU heater, a 60-pint dehumidifier, and a 3-speed fan in 1 powerful machine.
It can treat spaces up to 500 square feet and features several operating modes for a more personalized indoor climate control.
This unit has self-evaporative technology, which reduces moisture, and a backup tank that collects the condensate that was not evaporated or appropriately drained. It also has a “drain-tank” indicator that alerts you whenever the backup tank needs emptying.
Furthermore, this unit has a washable and reusable air filter that comes with an air intake cover and a ventilation grille to keep dust out and circulate only fresh, clean air.
It has adjustable temperatures that allow you to select between 61-88 degrees F and remote control that will enable you to change between operation modes and other settings from across the room.
The Soleus Air LX-140 installs easily and comes with a full installation kit, which includes exhaust hoses. It fits in double-hung windows and sliding glass doors with a maximum width of up to 96-inches.
- It features self-evaporative technology
- It performs four functions
- It has variable temperature settings
- It has a 6-foot LCDI cord with a current interrupter for safety
- It operates quietly (46dB noise level)
- It has a remote control for easy operation
- It comes with a 1-year warranty for parts.
- This appliance is heavy.
A self evaporating portable air conditioner should be the appliance to own if you want to stay cool in summer without worrying about collecting condensed water regularly.
You can choose either a fully self evaporating portable ac or a partially self-evaporative portable air conditioner. The difference between these units is that a fully self evaporating portable ac will keep your room cool and comfortable without any fuss or extra work. On the other hand, a partially self-evaporative portable unit still collects some water, which must be drained periodically.
So, if you were on the fence about buying one of the best fully self-evaporating portable air conditioners, you now have all the info to make an informed decision and a few products to choose from.