While there are several ways to prevent excess humidity in your home, one of the best strategies is using the best portable air conditioner for high humidity.
Air conditioners work by blowing cold air into your room, removing both heat and humidity. That explains why these devices work better than dehumidifiers, especially in humid climates. Dehumidifiers only remove excess moisture but don’t cool the room.
However, not all air conditioners work efficiently in a humid climate. The best portable air conditioner for humid climates I have reviewed in this article has a dehumidifying component.
They will be able to keep your room cool as well as get rid of humidity and moisture. They are a little more expensive than other models, so be ready to spend a bit more.
Best Portable Air Conditioner For High Humidity
1. Whynter ARC 14,000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner
- 14,000 BTU (ASHRAE) / 9,500 BTU (SACC) cooling capacity
- Award Winning: 1. Good Housekeeping's "2020 Best Overall" and "can cool down a room faster than other portable units" 2. Consumer Report's 2020 Highest Score; UL listed
- Dual hose operation; Cools up to a 500 square feet space(ambient temperature and humidity may influence optimum performance); Dehumidifying capacity: 71 pints per day; Air Flow (at high speed): 430 m3/h / 253 CFM; 3 fan speeds
- Three operational modes: Air conditioner, dehumidifier or fan; Cooling capacity 14000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 9500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard); Maximum power consumption: 1300 W / 11.6 A.
- Eco-friendly CFC free Green R-32 refrigerant; Extendable exhaust hose (up to 60″); Window kit dimension: 6.5″ W x 20″ L (minimum), 46″ (maximum); Unit dimensions: 19″ W x 16″ D x 35.5″ H
The Whynter ARC is an award-winning portable air conditioner that cools down rooms faster than other portable AC units. It features dual hose operation, and it can cool a room of 500 square feet. This air conditioner’s dehumidifying capacity is 71 pints per day, and the airflow at high speed is 430 m3/h or 253 CFM.
There are 3 fan speed modes in the AC, including Dehumidifier, Air Conditioner, and Fan. Another benefit of this air conditioner is that it’s eco-friendly, plus it has an extendable exhaust hose.
The Whynter ARC portable air conditioner offers mobility and efficiency, and it serves as an ideal solution to keep a small space cool.
This unit is suitable for bedrooms, offices, server rooms, or a small room of up to 500 sq ft. It also has advanced auto drain technology that uses and recycles moisture collected during the cooling process to produce air. Thanks to the dual hose operation, it will offer you a fast cooling experience in your space.
- Easy to use
- Easy to assemble
- It improves air quality
- It comes with 3 operational modes
- Excellent design and performance
- Terrible technical support
- The outside cover is made from cheap plastic
2. Honeywell MN12CESBB Portable Air Conditioner with Fan & Dehumidifier
- [POWERFUL, SAFE & DEPENDABLE] Cools rooms up to 400-550 sq. ft. Thermal Overload protection for added safety & peace of mind.
- [QUICK INSTALLATION] Easy-to-install window venting kit included with adjustable window bracket from 19.9". to 47.25"
- [EASY MAINTENANCE] Washable Filter designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filter cleans easily under a faucet for easy maintenance.
- [DESIGNED FOR COMFORT] Enjoy simple digital control with 3 fan speeds, 24 hour energy saving timer & remote control included
- [3-IN-1 APPLIANCE] Powerful cooling in the summer, Dehumidifier for humid days (removes up to 66 pints/ 24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation), Fan circulates air for everyday comfort. Exhaust Hose Length: 12" to 47".
- [COOLING CAPACITY] 12000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 6500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard)
Honeywell MN12CESBB is one of the best-selling portable air conditioners on the market. It has a sleek design, and the 14,000 BTUs is ideal for spot cooling and dehumidifying rooms between 550 to 700 square feet.
As you have realized, the best portable air conditioner for humidity must have a dehumidifying mode. This unit has more than that. It has a dehumidifier that removes up to 95 pints of moisture per day and a fan-only mode that circulates air in the room to remove room stuffiness in those days where air conditioning isn’t necessary.
Since water always builds up inside a portable air conditioner, it’s mandatory to drain it periodically, which is a daunting task. However, this unit has a built-in continuous draining system, which means you don’t have to worry about collecting the water manually.
Honeywell MN12CESBB is also feature-packed. It has a programmable timer, easy-to-touch controls, digital display, air filter, and adjustable louvers. However, the most game-changing feature is the thermal overload protection that protects the unit in the event of overload or phase failure.
While Honeywell MN12CESBB is one of the best air conditioners you can buy with the assurance of a reliable unit, it’s expensive, so that most people couldn’t afford it.
- Offers spot cooling for large spaces.
- Continuous drainage systems, so no maintenance required.
- Easy to install and operate
3. Honeywell HL10CESWK Portable Air Conditioner, Dehumidifier & Fan
- Stylish, powerful & dependable - cools rooms 350- 450 square feet. Thermal overload protection for added safety & peace of mind. Automatic vertical wind motion helps distribute powerful cool air evenly for fast & consistent cooling
- Dual filters designed to protect from dust & hair to extend product life & performance. Filters clean easily under a faucet for easy maintenance. Full set window kit included for quick & easy installation for vertical and horizontal windows (max. Hose length is 4 feet)
- Designed for comfort with 3 fan speeds, sleep mode, digital controls, 24 hour energy saving timer & remote control with digital display included
- Stress-free auto evaporation – no bucket to empty (except in areas with high humidity). built-in dehumidifier removes up to 80 pints/24 hours with continuous drain option for long unattended operation
- 10000 BTU (ASHRAE-128 Standard) / 5500 BTU (DOE+ 2017 Standard)
- Voltage: 115 volts
I know Honeywell MN12CESBB is quite expensive, and not many people may be willing to spend $500. So, I have reviewed the next cheaper alternative, and that is the Honeywell HL10CESWK.
While it’s small, stylish with sleek white and black colors, Honeywell HL10CESWK is still powerful and reliable. It’s the perfect solution for summer heat as well as humid air.
It provides 10000 BTUs that is capable of cooling spaces between 350-450 square feet. It also dehumidifies your space quickly, removing up to 80 pints of moisture in a single day. If the weather is milder and you don’t want to crank the ac, turn on the fan-only mode with 3 speeds and let it circulate air in the room.
This portable air conditioner for the humid climate is easy to install and operate. All the accessories you need for installations are provided, and a window bracket accommodates both double-hung and sliding windows from 26.6 to 49.6 inches.
After installation, take advantage of the digital LED display and a full-function remote control to set your desired temperature. If you want to save energy, the 24-hour timer will allow you to schedule the turn on and off whenever you need to cool or stop cooling your room.
- Cools and dehumidifies
- Washable electrostatic filters
- Bucket full indicator
- Automatic air vents
- Powerful airflow with quiet operation at only 52dB
- Digital LED display and a full-function remote control.
- It’s wide and heavy
4. MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
- EasyCool : The Midea Portable Air Conditioner, ASHRAE rating 8, 000 BTU (5300 BTU 2017 SACC standard) delivers fast, effective cooling for spaces Up to 150 square feet while simultaneously providing fan and dehumidification functions in any home, bedroom, office or cabin; creating a relaxing and comfortable environment
- EFFORTLESS OPERATION：Enjoy the simplicity and comfort of digital controls. The portable AC features an easy-to-read LED display and includes a compact remote control (batteries included) to easily set the time, temperature, and mode, from across the room. Its 24-hour adjustable timer can cool a room to a temperature between 62°F-90°F and has 3 modes to choose from - cooling, dehumidification, fan only.
- EASY INSTALLATION：Roll your air conditioner to the preferred cooling area, attach the 5ft hose and adjustable window brackets (fits openings from 26. 5-48“), turn the unit on and let your cooling begin! An exhaust hose and window kit are included, no extra tools are needed for assembly. Installation instructions are simple and can be done by anyone.
- WASHABLE AIR FILTER：To provide clean cool air, we designed a removable and reusable air filter to protect your family and living space from dust and pet hairs. We recommend you clean the filter every week of operation in order to extend the life and performance of this unit.
- WORLDWIDE：Midea is the world’s largest provider of air conditioning products. As a testament to our dedication to quality, we offer a one year parts and labor on this product
This MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner delivers fast and effective cooling for rooms of up to 150 sq ft while still offering fan and dehumidification functions in any home, cabin, bedroom, or office. Therefore, it’s a portable air conditioner that delivers nothing but a relaxing and comforting environment.
The portable AC offers an effortless operation, thanks to its simplicity and comfort of the digital controls. The features are quite easy to read from the included LED display, and with the compact remote control, you can easily set the time, temperature, and mode you want.
Aside from the remote control feature, you can also take advantage of the 24-hour adjustable timer to cool your room. The temperature range can be between 620F to 900F. There are also three modes to choose from, which include Cooling, Dehumidification, and Fan Only.
Additionally, there is a removable and washable air filter to protect your family and living space from dust or pet hairs. Therefore, if you’re searching for the best portable air conditioner for high humidity, the MIDEA MAP08R1CWT 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner is an ideal option to consider.
- Easy to install
- It cools faster
- Remote control
- Timer and energy saver
- Sleep mode
- It may encounter leaking issues
- Unreliable fan
5. LG LP1419IVSM 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner
- ULTRA QUIET OPERATION - Revolutionary DUAL Inverter technology gives powerful yet silent performance, operating at sound levels as low as 44dB in sleep mode.
- 40% MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT - DUAL Inverter technology provides cool temperatures with up to 40% more energy savings.
- CONTROL YOUR COOL FROM ANYWHERE - LG ThinQ Technology lets you control your LG air conditioner from anywhere. You can start or stop cooling, change the mode, or set the temperature while on the go. It also works with Amazon Alexa and Hey Google so you can change settings with simple voice commands.
- AUTO SWING AIR VENT - Enjoy every bit of cool air with our oscillating air vent technology that circulates your cool air more efficiently.
- COOLS ROOMS UP TO 450 SQ. FT. - LP1419IVSM is ideal for cooling medium rooms (18' X 25')
If you want an AC that can cool rooms of up to 500 sq ft, consider using the LG LP1419IVSM 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner. This portable AC comes with a remote control feature and one Windows installation kit that make it easier to install in your home. Its dimensions are 19.41″ W x 30.43″ H x 18.11″.
Energy-efficiency is another factor that makes this air conditioner excellent to use in high humid areas. It features the dual inverter compressor, which provides cool temperature and uses up to 40 percent less energy. With the LG ThinQapp, you can control the air conditioner from anywhere using your smartphone, Amazon Alexa, or Google Assistant.
The installation kit that comes with the LG LP1419IVSM 14,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner enables easy storage and installation. Other features include the multiple fan speed, sleep mode, auto-restart, 24-hour timer, and removable, washable filter.
It has a 3-in-1 operation, and the cooling mode is suitable for powerful cooling and dehumidifying on hot days. The fan mode circulates the air, while the dry mode can be suitable for damp or rainy days.
- It features dual inverter technology
- Easy to install
- User-friendly panel
- Remote control
- Removable, washable filter
- Not durable enough
- Poor design
- Leaks water
6. Amazon Basics Portable Air Conditioner
- Remote controlled, portable air conditioning unit cools and dehumidifies rooms up to 400 square feet; 10,000 BTU (ASHARE -128 Standard) / 5500 BTU (SACC - DOE 2017 Standard)
- Easily exhaust hot air through a window with the unit’s expandable outtake hose; venting kit with sealing, side panel leaf covers, bracket, and instructions included
- Rolling caster wheels and easy-grip side handles make moving and repositioning unit convenient
- LED light display with full-function remote control (remote batteries not included); includes 3 speeds, 3 cooling settings, and automatic timer
- Fits standard windows and can be customized for non-traditional windows such as crank and egress
- Adjustable directional fan levers to control and customize air flow for maximum circulation
This remote-controlled, portable air conditioning unit can cool and dehumidify a room of up to 550 sq ft. It is a 14,000 BTU air conditioner that easily exhausts hot air through a window by its expandable outtake hose, venting kit, side panel leaf covers, and bracket. There’s also an included manual with instructions on how to use the Amazon Basics Portable Air Conditioner.
Moving the AC won’t be such a difficult task, thanks to the caster wheels and easy-grip side handles that make it easier for you to move and reposition the unit conveniently. The LED light display and full-function remote control also make it easier to use this air conditioner, plus it also has 3 speeds, 3 cooling settings, and an automatic timer.
The Amazon Basics Portable Air Conditioner can perfectly fit standard windows, but you also have the option of customizing the unit for non-traditional windows like egress and crank. The adjustable directional fan levers enable you to control and customize the airflow to have maximum circulation.
- Remote control
- LED light display
- Easy to install
- Easily customizable
- Adjustable directional fan levers
- Unable to provide continuous evaporation
- Poor design
Do Portable Air Conditioners Remove Humidity?
Absolutely! Portable air conditioners are a great alternative to consider when you want to dehumidify your space. Even if your home has a central AC unit, a portable AC can supplement cooling power when the central AC unit encounters temperature control issues.
For example, your upper floor rooms or bedrooms can get hot and uncomfortable during a hot day if they are not air-conditioned.
Luckily, you don’t require any reconstruction with a portable air conditioner since it offers you the flexibility of moving from one room to another.
Since portable air conditioners cool the air efficiently, they can create a cooler living environment and help lower your home’s humidity levels. Cool air can hold less moisture compared to warmer air. Therefore, even cooling the air alone is one reliable way of reducing humidity.
Which Mode Is Best for AC in Humidity?
The best portable air conditioner for high humidity can offer comfort and convenience during high humid climates. There are three distinct modes included in an air conditioner. They include:
- Cooling Mode – In this mode, your AC turns on the compressor and pushes cold air into the room. However, the compressor immediately switches off when it senses that the desired temperature has been reached. The cooling mode is the most energy-intensive in your AC. The lower you set the temperature, the higher the amount of time the compressor will run.
- Dry Mode – If you live in a humid area, a dry mode is the best option to consider setting on your air conditioner. When it’s a hot day, and you’re practically sweating, this is your go-to mode. It removes extra humidity in your room by cycling the compressor on and off for short periods of time. During this process, the fan is constantly running at a low speed. The compressor’s run-time is adjusted in that when the internal humidity sensor of your AC detects low humidity levels, it will turn off.
- Heat Mode – When you set your AC to heat mode, the unit’s airflow is reversed. Therefore, this introduces hot air inside the room and ejects cold air. The compressor is the one that brings warm air.
- Other modes are included in an AC, such as the auto mode, eco mode, and turbo mode, among others.
Judging by the modes we’ve discussed above, the best mode for AC in humidity is the Dry Mode since it helps to remove extra humidity in your room. It also clears any sweat in your body and dampness in the surrounding room.
How Long Should a Portable Air Conditioner Sit Before Turning It On?
A portable air conditioner should only be allowed to rest for 30 minutes after moving it from one room to another. This also applies to any other refrigeration appliance that you may have in your home.
The main reason for this is because it will allow the fluids to settle into their places properly before you turn on the appliance. There is a higher chance of damaging the appliance or AC if you turn it on too soon. Therefore, it’s important to adhere to this recommendation strictly.
Is It Worth Buying a Portable Air Conditioner for High Humidity Areas?
Yes, it’s worth buying a portable AC in high humidity areas. However, consider supplementing it with a dehumidifier to have the best efficiency. This doesn’t necessarily mean that a portable AC cannot get the job done.
When you set your air conditioner to Dry Mode, it can do a better job of removing extra humidity in a room and providing you with a comfortable environment. Also, unlike air conditioning systems, portable ACs should be vented in a way. They pull in warm air, cool it, and then expel it out of the room.
Do You Have to Empty Water Out of a Portable Air Conditioner?
The simple answer is no – you won’t have to keep on emptying water from your portable air conditioner. This is mainly because, in most cases, your portable AC won’t need to be drained. Some portable air conditioners use a condensation exhaust system that collects water vapor during the dehumidifying or cooling process.
The release of this moisture is done through the exhaust hose together with the hot exhaust air. However, when the conditions are extremely humid, the collected water doesn’t exhaust faster, which may fill the internal water reservoir.
When such a case happens, your AC unit will shut off automatically to prevent overflowing the internal tank. This is the only time you will have to drain your AC’s internal water tank.
If you don’t want to empty your AC unit manually, consider using a self evaporating portable air conditioner.
5 Things to Consider When Purchasing the Best Portable Air Conditioner for Humid Climate
Here are some of the factors to consider before buying the best portable air conditioner for high humidity.
If you want to buy a portable air conditioner due to its flexibility and mobility, consider checking for one you can easily carry. You can do this by checking its weight and dimensions. This will help you determine whether you can easily move it from one point to another or fit it into your car.
Portable ACs are known for venting out hot air, and that means your unit near a window. Luckily, most portable air conditioners out there include a window venting kit and manual instructions on setting it up for venting properly. If you plan to keep your AC away from the window, you need to check the maximum width the window kit can extend to be on the safe side.
Although it depends on how you use your portable AC, you are bound to see an increase in your energy use. Therefore, this is why you need to consider buying an energy-efficient portable air conditioner to avoid high electricity bills.
Is the AC you want to buy easy to install? If it is, then that’s a good choice. However, if you’re not sure, it’s best to ask, and while at it, ensure you find out whether there are clear instructions provided on how to install it in your room.
What room size are you planning on using the AC, and will it be able to cool it efficiently. Ensure you buy a portable air conditioner suitable for cooling your room size without having to work too hard. Determine the size of your room in square feet and choose AC accordingly.
If you have a large room, you can still use portable air conditioners designed for large rooms but make sure it’s the right size so that it’s not overworking.
There are many factors to consider when purchasing the best portable air conditioner for high humidity. However, the first time you buy and start using it, you’ll be glad you made that move. You don’t have to endure high humidity during the hot summer season – you can stay comfortable with a portable air conditioning unit.
If you have any feedback or questions to ask, you can write them in the comments section below. You can also reach out to me through email, and I’ll be happy to respond.
If you’re looking for cheaper portable AC options, consider the following reviews