If $200 is all you have set aside for a new portable AC, don’t despair – you don’t have to get a high-end AC to keep your room cool and comfortable during the hot summer months.
In this guide, you’ll find the best cheap portable air conditioner under $200 that meets your needs. All portable units are unique in their own way, and you can only select one depending on your needs and the features you like about it.
However, I have to bring to your attention that most portable units are priced above $200. Anything below that is either used and refurbished AC or an evaporative cooler.
Just to make my point clear, you can only find a portable air conditioner under $200 if it is already used and refurbished. On the other hand, evaporative coolers are not your typical air conditioners, and they are best effective in hot, dry climates.
In the first section, I’ll review evaporative coolers that you can find for less than $200. In the second section, I’ll review other used portable air conditioners under $200.
Best Cheap Portable Air Conditioner Under $200
1. Hessaire MC18M Portable Evaporative Cooler
- Experience Enhanced Cooling: Tackle insufficient cooling with the Hessaire 1,300 CFM evaporative air cooler outdoor fan. Its hi-density XeL50 media provides an expanded air-intake area, optimizing your Hessaire cooler experience while helping you save up to 50% on electricity.
- Expand Your Comfort Zone: Experience extended air coverage with this water cooler fan. Its patented axial prop throws cool air farther, and its single cooling pad enhances efficient air delivery, making this outdoor cooling system perfect for larger spaces.
- Effortless Operation and Maintenance: This Hessaire MC18M stands out with its user-friendly design. Fill the tank, connect the power, and flip the switch to enjoy the refreshingly cool air. Run the water fan air cooler for 30 minutes to dry before storing.
- Opt for Lightweight Durability: Molded with lightweight ABS resin, this portable evaporative outdoor cooler with a 4.8-gallon tank is easy to carry and less fragile than traditional coolers. Its unique cooler fan design ensures less noise and vibrations.
- Cool Air Anywhere: As a trusted name in air-movement and cooling solutions since 1996, Hessaire focuses on innovation and energy efficiency and delivers reliable, low-noise evaporative air coolers that offer functionality without compromising quality.
The Hessaire MC18M Portable Evaporative Cooler is a compact yet powerful AC with 4 heavy-duty casters that make it perfect for indoor and outdoor use.
It’s suitable for spaces up to 500 square feet since it measures 28 x 22 x 12 inches and weighs approximately 16 pounds. It’s an easy-to-operate air conditioner and requires less maintenance. The motor speed dial features 5 settings – 2 cooling modes on HI and LOW speed when the pump is on, 2 fan-only modes HI and LOW speed when the fan is off.
You can use the continuous fill option by attaching a household hose with the provided brass float adaptor and float valve to control the tank’s level without monitoring. It’s available in 3 colors, which include grey, teal, and green. If you want the air conditioner to cool right away, you must fill the water compartment and allow the water pump to prime. After this happens, it will begin to cycle the water, and it will be cooling efficiently within 5 minutes.
The simple manual control dial makes you work easier when you want to operate the AC. It only requires a quick turn of the knob, and the Hessaire MC18M Portable Evaporative Cooler will be in operation, cooling you off quickly.
A crucial factor you need to note is that this cooler requires assembly but unlike other coolers sold out there, it comes pre-assembled, and you only need to install the caster, lock two locking wheels before you fill, and turn on the fan to prevent the cooler from moving from the air velocity.
- Compact and powerful
- Easy to operate
- Simple to maintain
- Water level indicator
- Not durable enough
- It may encounter leaking issues
2. COMFYHOME 2-in-1 Air Cooler, 32″ Evaporative Air Cooler
- ❄【NOT JUST A FAN & MORE THAN AN A/C】Unlike traditional air conditioner that use compressors and refrigerants, and typical tower fan that blow room-temperature wind, COMFYHOME air cooler constructs with 3 central components: a fan, a pump system, and a honeycomb-shaped evaporative cooling media to cool, humidify and circulate chill air.It's tested that this cooler w/1 GALLON water can easily bring up the humidity by 82%.Its cooling function will be your secret weapon to survive in this summer.
- ❄【4 Pre-programmed Modes & 3 Wind Speeds, Customize Your Cooling Needs】Designed, programed and engineered for adaptability. Comfyhome have developed this easy-to-use evaporative cooler for you. There is only a push of power bottom between you the widespread coolness. Easy to control with 3-speed settings plus 40°automatic swing to give all the comfort you need–low, medium, or high speed. Meanwhile, you are able to easily find an appropriate mode-normal, sleep, natural, or cooling-to your taste.
- ❆【Smart and Portable Design】 8-Hour Timer feature and remote control amplify your freedom. Just a click to control your fan from 20 feet, making it possible to enjoy a gentle outdoor wind in your own living room while you are reading your favorite books or enjoying the recent series without having to get up from the couch.It is perfect for small room, such as bedroom, office, kitchen, garage etc. It is also great for personal use ,Also, there is an automatic shutdown in 1 to 8-hour.
- ❆【Asthetic, Space-friendly & Bladeless】Designed for any rooms possible, ComfyHome Air Cooler’s signature look, compact size and strong function makes it an eye-catching addition to your house while utilizing minimal space footprint. It’ll fit perfectly even in small spaces like a cramped dorm room. The bladeless design protects you and your families from traditional bladed fan accidents, eliminating your extra worries. Now lay back and chill with COMFYHOME Air Cooler.
- ❆【Save your Wallet, Save the Earth】Save your wallet today by choosing ComfyHome Air Cooler!It gives you the ultimate control over your budget without throwing you in the summer heat. COMFYHOME room cooler only costs you less than 30 cents for a whole day cooling. Its eco-friendly cooling method does not utilize any chemicals or refrigerants that can damage our environment. Consider giving our mother earth a break by choosing ComfyHome Evaporative Cooler!
Just as its name suggests, the COMFYHOME 2-in-1 Air Cooler is designed to offer you nothing but comfort in your home. This portable air conditioner offers humidification for extra moisture. With only 1 gallon of the water reservoir, this air cooler can bring up the humidity to 82 percent for the nearby surroundings.
It features a bladeless design for safety and easy cleaning and keeps children or pets safe. The cooling effect of this portable air conditioner also makes it excellent to use. It provides a stream of smooth, therapeutic, and high-velocity air designed for personal cooling.
The COMFYHOME 2-in-1 Air Cooler is also energy-efficient and eco-friendly. It doesn’t use chemical refrigerants, and it is environmentally-friendly and safe for your health. It offers dual control thanks to the handy remote that offers you ultimate convenience over your cooler setting.
There are 3 wind speeds, 4 modes, and extra swing features that have been designed and engineered for adaptability. You only need to push one button, which is the power button located at the bottom, to start experiencing the coolness that this air conditioner has to offer.
You can set either low, medium, or high speed to give you comfort during the hot summer season. A 15-hour timer has also been included in the COMFYHOME 2-in-1 Air Cooler, which shuts down automatically. It offers fast cooling, large oscillation, and a 1-gallon water tank.
With its 3 speeds and 4 modes, this air conditioner provides you with a customized breeze all-year-round. It also offers a quiet operation that enables you to use it at night in your bedroom while you sleep.
- 3 wind speeds
- Dual control
- Easy to clean
- Quiet operation
- Fast cooling
- The cup may easily break
- It cools only a small area
3. Honeywell TC10PEU Portable Evaporative Cooler
- Mimic the Comfort of a Cool Lake Breeze in Your Home with this compact spot cooler, built to cool your immediate area; Couch, bed, workspace, dining table, the unit is compact and easily portable for personal evaporative cooling
- Easy Maintenance and Operation: A low water alarm, easy-access water fill door plus a washable dust filter and Honeycomb Cooling media makes for simple operation and maintenance
- Energy Efficient Cooling for Dry Climates: Evaporative air coolers, or swamp coolers, work best in dry regions with relative humidity under 50-60%; Highly energy efficient, with low power consumption, swamp coolers are a great cooling alternative to fans, providing a moist, cool breeze in the comfort of your own home
- Versatile 3-in-1 Appliance: Set for evaporative cooling or a more gentle, fan-only breeze during warm days, and use as a humidifier to keep air hydrated during the colder, winter months
- Not an Air Conditioner and Not Just a Fan: Environmentally friendly Evaporative Cooler reduces temperature through water evaporation
The Honeywell Portable Evaporative Cooler truly stands out and ranks among the best portable ACs to consider buying today, from portability to energy-efficiency. This evaporative cooler has a fan and humidifier to offer spot cooling. It is lightweight, compact, and portable, which makes it convenient for personal use.
The 3-in-1 functionality makes it easily mobile and adapts to summer heat or winter dryness. It has oscillating louvers, lower body level airflow, and a slim, compact design that makes it easier to position it almost anywhere.
It’s a space-saving and effective air cooler with a unique tower design to offer a maximum cooling experience. With the Honeywell Portable Evaporative Cooler, you won’t experience high energy bills since it only consumes low energy. The sleek and contemporary design helps to enhance its setting to complement any home décor easily.
The three speeds for cooling and humidifying also make this air cooler efficient, as you can alternate between gentle humidity and targeted spot cooling. There’s also a low water alert for easy maintenance since it informs you when it’s time to refill.
Convenient digital control has also been provided in the Honeywell Portable Evaporative Cooler. There is a digital control panel that offers you simple operation and additional remote control that you can use to operate the AC from across the room.
Suppose you’re in an area or keep the air conditioner somewhere prone to dust. In that case, you don’t have to worry because it has an easy-access washable dust filter and honeycomb cooling media that assists in trapping dust, and it’s also easy to wash under a faucet.
- Easy to maintain
- Sleek, contemporary design
- Not durable enough
- The sensor may encounter issues
- Cooling settings make the room too humid
4. Evapolar EvaLIGHT Plus EV-1500 Personal Evaporative Air Cooler
- 3-IN-1 COOLING – Evapolar evaLIGHT Plus cools & humidifies the air using evaporative technology. evaLIGHT Plus mini air conditioner is equipped with a display, a removable water tank (34 oz capacity), sleep timer, and a luxury LED lighting.
- NATURAL PERSONAL COOLING – Efficiently cools your personal space using evaporative technology. Ideal solution for hot, dry climates. Feel the pleasant cool breeze within 3 - 5 feet in the direction of airflow. Contrary to other personal air conditioners, evaLIGHT plus doesn’t use Freon-like liquids, the temperature drop is a result of the water evaporation process.
- ENERGY-EFFICIENT & COST-SAVING – consumes only 10W (up to 100x less than an AC unit) and saves your bills. Can be used solo as well as in tandem with an AC, reducing energy consumption and preventing air dryness.
- 100% SAFE FOR BREATHING – Evapolar functionality is based on natural evaporative cooling powered by our patented Evabreeze technology that cools and humidifies the air in a most efficient, innovative, and eco-friendly way. Our material is made from long-lasting basalt fibers, which means no odor and 100% safe for breathing. *Please, note: the natural color of evaBREEZE bazalt-based cartridge material may differ from white to dark green. Small amount of basalt dust inside the device is okay.
- PORTABLE – EvaLIGHT Plus evaporative air cooler are portable and whisper-quiet (up to 45bB), and can also be powered via USB from power banks, laptops and a car power outlet with a capacity of at least 2A 5V. No installation needed so you can move with comfort and feel the ocean breeze wherever you go, whether you are traveling, working, studying or just chilling at home.
The Evapolar EvaLIGHT Plus EV-1500 Personal Evaporative Air Cooler comes with a 3-in-1 cooling capability, including humidifying, purifying, and chilling the air using evaporative technology. What makes this portable AC a suitable option to consider is using it in hot, dry climates.
When it comes to setting up, you won’t have to go through too much hassle because all you have to do is add water to the AC and plug it into a power supply, computer, or power bank, and it will start functioning immediately.
The air conditioner is suitable for personal use since it can only cool an area of approximately 45 square feet. This is about the size of a desk, bed, or couch. evaLIGHT personal air conditioner is also very portable and can comfortably sit on any desk, plus it’s easy to transport anywhere. When it comes to efficiency, you can fully count on this air conditioner because it’s designed to offer you comfort and eliminate any worries of using it.
When you add water to the AC’s water tank and plug it into a power supply, all you have to do is sit down, relax, and wait for the cool breeze to start blowing. It will cool down your space efficiently – whether you’re using it at your office desk, at the library, bedroom, or on your couch while watching your favorite TV show.
The convenience of carrying it wherever you’re going without experiencing any issues is what makes the Evapolar EvaLIGHT Plus EV-1500 Personal Evaporative Air Cooler unique and worth buying. An added bonus is its leakage-proof system that prevents any water from leaking out, as well as the included enlarged water tank.
- 3-in-1 cooling functionality
- Easy to use
- Easy to install
- Leakage-proof system
- Enlarged water tank
- It can’t cool large spaces
- Flimsy and feels like a cheaply-made product
5. NewAir, AF-310, Portable Indoor Outdoor Evaporative Air Fan
No products found.
Although the NewAir AF-310 Portable Indoor/Outdoor Evaporative Air Fan comes with its drawdowns, there’s no denying the fact that it’s one of the best portable air conditioners you can use in your home or anywhere.
This swamp cooler is powerful and offers two ways to cool your personal space. It features 3 fan speeds, 3 cooling modes, and an automatic timer. As an eco-friendly type of air conditioner, the NewAir AF-310 air fan provides you with climate control that uses clean evaporation instead of Freon and other chemicals.
Quality is also another factor that makes the NewAir AF-310 Portable Indoor/Outdoor Evaporative Air Fan an ideal option to consider. This portable air conditioner is made with quality materials, which help to keep you comfy all day.
You can now stay cool during hot, dry weather with the evaporative cooling power offered by this air conditioner. It also provides you with the option of lowering the indoor temperature by as much as 20 degrees and keeps refreshing breezes blowing all summer long.
The choice of whether to oscillate or is not up to you because this air conditioner provides you with this ability. With the 3 fan speeds and 3 different cooling modes, you can turn the AF-310 on full blast for 310CFMs of power or even toggle between the evaporative cooling and the fan with just one push of a button.
You have the option of going green and saving money, there are simple touch buttons included, and it gives you the convenience of operating from anywhere with the remote control.
- Powerful fan
- 3 fan speeds
- Remote control
- May leak after long use
- Ineffective in large spaces
- Water pumps may encounter issues
6. NewAir AF-1000R Portable Evaporative Cooler
- TOWER FAN - This evaporative cooler and tower fan with remote control offers two types of cooling
- FEATURES - This lightweight air humidifier fan comes with an automatic timer and a remote control
- ECO-FRIENDLY - Instead of freon and other chemicals, get climate control that uses clean evaporation
- QUALITY - This portable air conditioner is made with quality materials, to keep you comfy all day
- NEWAIR - With good quality products and excellent customer service, NewAir is a name you can trust
One unique feature of this portable evaporative air cooler is that it also acts as a tower fan and features remote control to make it easier to control it even from a distance.
The lightweight air humidifier fan also includes an automatic 10-hour timer and air filter. It’s an eco-friendly air conditioner that doesn’t use Freon or any other chemicals. You get climate control that uses clean evaporation to keep you and your family safe as you enjoy the cool breeze when there’s too much heat.
The NewAir AF-1000R Portable Evaporative Cooler is designed with high-quality materials that make it long-lasting. It also functions properly when you plug it into a power supply, and it starts running. To use it, all you have to do is fill the 5-gallon tank, plug it into power and press the start button.
You can get proper cooling for a comfortable experience, even in arid climates. It also features a 1000 CFM fan that allows you to use both features at the same time.
Regardless of how you decide to use this evaporative cooler, you can rest assured you’ll get optimal performance. You can place the cooler in a small space due to its compact design. Therefore, you won’t have to worry about any large storage space or have trouble placing it on your office desk, bedroom, or camping tent when you want to cool your body from the summer heat.
During the winter season, you can also use this cooler to prevent your skin from being dry and keeps it healthy. Unfortunately, it can only cool a space of approximately 300 square feet. Therefore, if you want to cool a larger room/space, it’s best to consider an AC designed for such a space.
- Made of high-quality materials
- Auto timer
- Remote control
- 3 fan speeds
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean and maintain
- To cool a small bedroom, you need to fill it with ice
- Poor design
- It doesn’t cool large areas
Best Refurbished Portable Air Conditioner Under $200
7. BLACK+DECKER BPACT08WT Portable Air Conditioner, 8,000 BTU
- Portable AC: Use this personal air conditioner (15.3” x 14” x 24.8”) in rooms up to 350 sq. ft. Stay cool in the hot summer months and sleep well with this BLACK+DECKER ac unit for bedroom.
- 3-in-1: Our 4,100 BTU DOE (8000 BTU ASHRAE 128) air conditioner also functions as a dehumidifier & fan. This portable air conditioner (45.8 lbs.) has a convenient remote control & top mounted control panel with LED display.
- Impressive Features: Set the temperature just right with this ac portable air conditioner. Our ac unit portable also has a slide-out washable filter, auto water evaporation, & 24-hour timer.
- Easy Mobility: Thanks to casters on the bottom and side handles on both sides of the small air conditioner, this air cooler can be moved from room to room without any hassle.
- Installation Kit: When it comes to fans that blow cold air, this indoor ac unit includes an easy-to-install window kit. A large, vented airflow outlet ushers in cool air. Cools a room approximately 15' x 20'
As one of the top brands in the US, Black+ Decker focuses on quality, reliability, convenience when building their machinery. When it comes to portable air conditioners, they’re one of the best considering the number of positive reviews their products have on Amazon.
This unit’s market price is almost $300; however, you can purchase a used option for less than $200. It’s ideal for rooms between 100 to 150 square feet and has an inbuilt dehumidifier that removes excess humidity.
One reason why I fell in love with this unit is because of the vertical ventilation system that makes it provide better airflow than its competitors. That means you get to cool off your room much quicker and cheaper.
You don’t have to hire a professional to set it up. The included window kit is easy to install. Once installed, take advantage of the configuration settings to program it to turn on/off on your set time or adjust the temperature.
Overall, this is a perfect unit for small rooms. It’s fairly priced (if you decide to buy a new one) and you won’t have any problems if you plan to move it around.
- Vertical motion creates a steady and powerful airflow
- Has a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture in the room
- Easy to install even by non-DIYers
- The fan is quiet as it operates without generating noise.
- While it’s a cheaper option than other models that provide 8,000 BTUs, it’s not too far off
- Its fan could be a bit more powerful than it is
8. Emerson Quiet Kool EAPC8RD1 Portable Air Conditioner
- 3-in-1 Unit: This portable air conditioner features cooling at 8000 BTU ASHRAE/5000 BTU DOE, 3 fan speeds, and excess moisture removal up to 2.5 pints per hour
- Quiet Operation: This unit efficiently cools family rooms, living rooms, and other medium-sized rooms up to 300 sq. ft. at 52dB on low, among the quietest in the industry
- Bucketless Design: The auto-evaporation system efficiently removes water created by the dehumidification process, allowing for a bucketless design that doesn’t routinely need draining
- Sleep Mode Function: Intelligent sleep mode slowly adjusts the temperature and fan speed to keep you comfortable overnight while saving you energy and money
- Exclusive 1-2-5 Warranty: Your Emerson Quiet Kool Wi-fi enabled air conditioner comes with an industry-exclusive Warranty that covers 1 year of labor, 2 years of parts, and 5 years on the compressor
The sound of cars hooting, neighbors laughing, or music playing from across the hall are not the only things that can distract your sleep. If you’re a light sleeper, even a loud air conditioner can cause trouble as you try to sleep.
As a light sleeper, you want to make sure that your AC operates as silently as possible. It’s not only important but also one of the factors to consider when choosing an air conditioner.
Luckily, Emerson Quiet Kool EAPC8RD1 is not only quiet but versatile. It’s perfect for cooling rooms up to 300 square feet and has a decibel rating of 52, making it one of the quietest air conditioners on the market.
This ingenious product has an auto evaporation technology, meaning it has an inbuilt draining system, negating the need to remove the moisture through the use of a bucket or a drainage hose.
It’s equipped with an auto-swing fan louver to help direct cold air to where it’s needed the most. The control panel is easily accessible, but you can also use the remote to customize the settings to meet your temperature needs.
- Pretty quiet
- Multi-functional – cooling, moisture removal, and fan modes.
- Auto swing louvers for air direction control
- Digital control panel and remote control
- Comes with a window kit for easy installation
- Wheels don’t roll smoothly over the carpet.
- Exhaust hose can get loose if not properly installed
- Window kit
- The window unit does not fit all window types; be sure to check out the specifications
9. LG LP0817WSR 115V Portable Air Conditioner
- COOLS UP TO 200 square feet: Stay cool and comfortable when Mother Nature turns up the heat. This 8,000 BTU (5,500 BTU – DOE) portable air conditioner can cool rooms up to 200 square feet (10’x20’ room size).
- OSCILLATING AIR DISCHARGE: Inclined top air discharge swings up and down to sweep air evenly throughout the room, eliminating hot spots. Oscillation feature can be turned off using remote control.
- INSTALLATION KIT INCLUDED: Slide-together window bracket has click-lock connection point for exhaust hose. Other end of exhaust hose slides securely into place on the back of the air conditioner. Installation kit fits vertical and horizontal windows from 18” to 50”. Detailed installation instructions included.
- SLEEK TOUCH CONTROLS: The control panel on this LG portable air conditioner features sleek digital touch controls and an LED screen, making switching between the 3 modes and 2 fan speeds simple. An included LCD remote control reflects the unit settings from across the room.
- AUTO-EVAPORATION SYSTEM: The bucketless design of this LG portable air conditioner is thanks to the auto-evaporation system built into this model. Moisture created by the cooling process is evaporated inside the unit, allowing you continuous operation without having to regularly empty a bucket.
LG is a big brand and they have made a name for themselves by manufacturing some of the best phones, and now portable air conditioners.
One of their best units is LG LP0817WSR – an ultimate solution for keeping your space cool and comfortable. It’s designed to last long as well as perform at maximum efficiency.
Form this stylish unit, you’ll get 8000 BTU cooling capacity that is recommended for rooms up to 150 square feet. This is definitely a good choice for providing comfort in your bedroom and other small spaces. It also keeps your room dry by removing up to 1.8 pints of excess moisture per hour.
If you have a room larger than 150 sq. ft, the company offers 10000, 12000, and 14000 options, so choose one according to the size of your room.
Apart from the stellar design, LG LP0817WSR is easy to move around. Additionally, it’s a self evaporating system so you don’t have to manually drain the water. If you’ve struggled to set up portable units before – you won’t go through the same trouble with this one. Simple set up, simple function.
- Self evaporating
- Stylish white design made of lightweight materials
- Easy to clean filters and air tubes
- New unit is a little expensive – there are other affordable options that provide the same functionality and results
- Can’t be used in large rooms.
10. FRIGIDAIRE B077VD2RWM Portable Air Conditioner
This is one of the best portable air conditioners for large rooms that you’ll get for less than $200. In fact, even the new unit is fairly priced at just under $400. That’s considering the size of the room it cools, which is 450 square feet. Units that cover the same space size usually have a $500+ marked price.
Since Frigidaire is well-known as one of the best consumer refrigerator brands, they’ve brought the same innovation to their portable air conditioners. They have included a programmable timer that lets you schedule for cooling before getting home.
At just 27.88-inches high and 65 pounds in weight, it has a low-profile and portable design that makes it fit any double-hung or sash windows. A low-profile window kit is included for easy installation and a 6-foot power cord that will reach any outlet.
Overall, FRIGIDAIRE B077VD2RWM is the ultimate cooling solution for medium rooms in your home. The three fan speeds provide cooling flexibility while the filters ensure your home is free from bacteria, odor, and other airborne particles. You can always access all these settings from the remote.
- Three fan speeds
- 24-hour timer
- User-friendly interface and remote control
- Lightweight design for easy use
- The remote doesn’t have its own on/off switch, so it stays on all the time
Are Portable Air Conditioners Worth the Cost?
Yes! Portable air conditioners are worth every dime – provided you pick the right size that’s effective enough to cool your space. That’s why it’s important to compare the BTU number of a portable AC with the space you want to cool before making the purchase.
Portable air conditioners are similar to any other air conditioner, such as a window AC or central air conditioning system.
- Easy to carry – Most portable air conditioners are mobile and easy to carry anywhere. You can use them in the workplace at your office desk, in the bedroom, or while camping in your tent.
- Energy-efficient: Portable air conditioners don’t consume a lot of energy, making them suitable as they help you save on electricity costs.
- Affordable – Due to their portability and efficiency, most portable ACs are affordable and worth buying, especially for personal use.
- Easy to use and maintain – Portable air conditioners are easy to use, and some of them even come with USB cables to plug into your laptop and run them.
- Less efficient – When buying a portable air conditioner, you need to check its BTUs to confirm that it can cool the amount of space you want. Most of them are designed to cool small spaces.
- They are loud – Another disadvantage of portable air conditioners is that they are noisy since most of their working parts are found right within the same room where you may want to cool. Therefore, this makes them disruptive.
Portable vs. Window Air Conditioners
Portable and window air conditioners only differ in one thing – the exhaust method. A portable air conditioner uses an exhaust vent that needs attaching to a window from venting hot air outside. On the other hand, a window air conditioner is already out the window and can comfortably exhaust the hot air outside directly.
Window air conditioners are easy to install, feature extraordinary designs, are highly mobile, and can be appropriately stored due to their compact design. However, they are generally louder and less efficient.
Window air conditioners are quiet, efficient, and cheaper. However, they are difficult to install or move, and some are poorly-designed. Another disadvantage of window air conditioners is that you would need your landlord’s permission to install them if you’re staying in a rented apartment.
Things to Consider When Choosing Portable Air Conditioners
When you want to choose a portable air conditioner, it is important to consider several factors that we’ll highlight below.
First and foremost, before you buy any portable AC, you need to compare its size of BTU with the room/space you want to cool. Ensure that it will be effective enough to cool the room without straining too much. If you have a large room check the best portable air conditioners for large rooms.
Is the air conditioner you want to buy energy-efficient? This is a crucial question you need to ask yourself first when searching for a good AC. Look for a portable air conditioner with a higher energy efficiency rating (EER) if you want to save electricity costs.
It’s also important to buy a portable AC that’s easy to install or store. Choose an air conditioner that is simple yet effective and one that doesn’t occupy too much space. This will save you the headache of thinking about the best place to set it up when you want to use it.
Portable Air Conditioner Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use a Portable Air Conditioner in a Room without Windows?
Yes, although a window is the best option to consider. Like any air conditioning unit, portable ACs need somewhere to release heat, and a window is always the best option. However, you can use other options and we have included them in this article.
What’s the Difference Between Portable Air Conditioners and Air Coolers?
Portable air conditioners use the Freon system to cool the air, and they also have a larger cooling radius. Air coolers, on the other hand, use moisture to cool a room/area. This makes air coolers less effective in humid areas.
Is It Okay to Leave Portable Air Conditioners on During the Night?
Yes, but not always recommended. Keep in mind that all portable ACs collect condensation during their cooling process, which is done in a water tray in the unit itself. When the water is about to overflow, the portable AC will shut itself off. The only harm in this would be if you plugged the portable AC into an overused plug.
Is It Possible to Lengthen the Exhaust Hose of a Portable Air Conditioner?
Yes, it is possible to lengthen the exhaust hose of a portable AC, but that may render your unit void’s warranty. Additionally, if you don’t do it right or professionally, it might cause issues. The best way is to move the exhaust hose or get two air conditioners. If you have a small space, you can look for portable ACs designed for small spaces.