Fans are typically pretty easy to understand. You turn the fan on, and it blows air to cool you down, right? The only thing you need to worry about is what speed setting you turn the fan on.
However, sometimes you might run into a fan with something on it that you aren’t familiar with.
What Does Ion Mean on a Fan?
When you see an ion on your fan, it stands for an ionizer. An ionizer on a fan is supposed to help clean the air in your room when it is turned on. Ionizers let out negative ions into the air to purify from pet dander, pollen, dust mites, or mold.
When you turn on the ionizer built-in to your fan, it will work to clean and freshen the air in the room. You will have fewer dust particles circulating in the air, leaving you with fresher feeling air.
How Does an Air Ionizer Work?
Ionizers work by emitting negative ions into the air that attract all of the positive ions. When the negative and positive ions combine and become one, they work to trap any pollution that might be roaming in your air. The ions then become one big cluster of positive ions, negative ions, and whatever pollutants they grab along the way.
Negative ions that are released into the air can create freshness in the air. It is also said that if there are enough negative ions in the air, it can even let off the feeling of well-being. However, negative ion generators might leave the area dusty,
The ionizer can also collect dust, so if you are not cleaning it enough, it will not work as efficiently as you would like it to.
Ion Fan Setting
If your fan has an ion setting on it, you can choose whether or not you want to use it. There are benefits to using the setting that you might enjoy, but you are not required to use the setting if you don’t want to.
The ion setting will help purify your air, relieve tension, and even improve your sleep. If you don’t want to use the setting all the time, try using it just at night to see if it helps you sleep better.
Do Ionizers Really Clean the Air?
There is some debate on whether or not ionizers clean the air in the room or not. Do they clean the air? There have been several scientific tests on air purifiers and ionizers, and they have not shown promising results.
Most air ionizers have shown no noticeable change to the number of floating particles in the air. Most ionizers are too weak to have any effect on your air.
It is important to note that these studies have shown that very strong ionizers affect the particles in the air. However, the ionizers in these tests are much stronger than the ionizers in your average fan. They are also much stronger than any ionizer available for sale.
Do Ionizers Kill Viruses?
With the recent pandemic of the Coronavirus, you are probably wondering if the ionizer on your fan can kill viruses. When appropriately used, ionizers can reduce the number of airborne virus particles in your home or small office space.
However, an ionizer by itself is not enough to protect you from any virus, the Coronavirus included.
Are Ionizing Fans Bad for You?
Ionizing fans are not dangerous or bad for you to use. They do not create enough ozone for it to be damaging to your health. Any ozone they do create will disappear quickly because it is being blown away by the fan.
Ionizing fans have a very tiny needlepoint ionizer that ensures little to no ozone is released into the air. These fans are not considered an ozone generator, and if any ozone is released, it will dissipate within 30 minutes.
Best Fans with Ionizers
If you are interested in a fan with an ionizer and don’t know which one will be best for you, check out a few here. We’ve included a list of some of the best fans with built-in ionizers, along with short descriptions of each.
1. Lasko 2505
- BEAT THE HEAT –If you live in the heat with no central air, or your window AC units do a poor job of moving air around your whole house or apartment, this stand up fan creates excellent air flow making you feel cooler. Comes with built-in carry handle, optional oscillation and a handy remote for when you don’t feel like getting up to change the settings.
- VERY QUIET – Powered by 3 speed settings H/M/L, fan creates a powerful breeze, but even on H, you can still hear the TV. If you need white noise to sleep, this fan is tall enough to aim over a high bed and creates a soothing purr that drowns out bedroom noises making it easy to fall asleep. Energy efficient timer can be set up to 7 hours.
- FRESHER AIR – The built-in Ionizer disperses millions of negative ions into the air that bond with positively charged ions which includes things like dust, bacteria, pollen, smoke and other allergens. Once the bond is formed, the particles become heavier and fall to the ground. As the negative ion levels grow in the room, the air feels naturally fresher.
- A REAL SPACE SAVER – Standing 36” tall with a small 12” x 12” footprint, the sleek, vertical design optimizes floor space letting you to put the tower fan in places where pedestal & box fans won’t fit, without sacrificing air circulation, comfort or style. Ideal for the dorm, kitchen, living room, RV and home office.
- TRUSTED FOR GENERATIONS – Lasko has been making quality household products for over 100 years. Lasko tower fans are ETL Listed and come with our patented Blue Plug safety fuse technology making them a safe choice for a cooling fresh air breeze when it’s hot and humid outdoors.
This tower fan has a fantastic airflow that quickly cools down the room you are using it in. It has three-speed settings, which are low, medium, and high. You will feel a powerful breeze without being disrupted by any noise. Even in the highest setting, you will still be able to hear your TV or music.
The built-in ionizer can disperse millions of negative ions into the air in your room. The fan is 36-inches and is available in black. It also has an included remote control, allowing you to control the fan from across the room.
2. Lasko XtraAir
- 48-inch tower fan offers everything you need to stay cool inside
- Sleek and slim design saves space while providing all the function you need
- Includes fresh air ionizer which improves air quality and indoor filtration
- 4 different, quiet fan speed options for optimal comfort
- Widespread oscillation feature cools rooms quickly
This is another tower fan that offers you a great flow of air. The sleek design makes it easy to save space because it doesn’t take up much space. There are four different speed settings, and there is a timer, so you can have the fan turn off if you don’t want it to run constantly. The ionizer works to improve the air quality quickly.
This fan is 48-inches and comes in black. There is a remote control included, so you don’t have to use the fan’s controls. The wide oscillation also makes it easy to cool your room down as quickly as possible.
3. R.W.Flame Tower Fan
- Space Saver: Standing 35.43 inch , with a small 11.81x11.81 inch footprint, This vertical slim tower fan is really a space saver which can power enough wind to beat the heat, bringing you cool breeze during hot weather.
- Different Wind modes and Speeds: Three wind modes, normal wind mode,natural wind mode and sleep wind mode. The sleepy mode will reduce 1 wind level in every single half an hour. And keep wind speed level until it turns off. 3 wind speeds,12 hours timer settings for different conditions.
- Wide wind Spread: The tower fan works with very low noise, with 85 degree oscillations, allowing wind covering area up to 350 cubic feet. Energy saving and easy to clean.
- Easy to use: With the remote controller storage and control panel on the top of the unit, the tower fan is easily operated and brings you good customer experience. The unit can work with remote control within 17 feet.
- Safe for Family：The steady base provide the unit against falling. It is much safer touse in the family with pets and children due to the bladless design. One year gurantee for free replacement.
This tower fan is very slim, so it doesn’t take up much space on your floor. It has three different modes, which are normal wind, natural wind, and sleep wind.
There are eight different wind speeds and timers for up to 24 hours. The built-in ionizer will let out millions of negative ions. With the 360-degree oscillation, you will be able to cool your whole room with ease.
The fan stands 59-inches tall with a control panel on top and remote control to use within a 17-foot range. It is also rated as safe for families due to the sturdy base. You don’t have to worry about pets or children getting injured by blades because this fan does not have any.
4. VonHaus Tower Fan
- 3 SPEED SETTINGS & FAN MODES: Choose between low/mid/high speed settings and comfort/normal/sleep fan modes with remote control.
- AROMA TRAY: add fresh summer scents to the fan to disperse a pleasant fragrance as well as a cool breeze
- PORTABLE: lightweight at 9.8lbs with easy carry handle – great for the home, office, whole and single rooms. Size: H43” X D12.5”
- TIMER: Low noise with 65° oscillation and 1-8hr timer – great for cooling control and wider room coverage
This fan features three-speed settings and three different modes. There are low, medium, and high-speed settings and comfort, normal, and sleep modes.
You can also add scents to this fan with the aroma tray. Timers range from one hour to eight hours, so you can let the fan run as little or as long as you want. The ionizer works to freshen your air quickly.
Standing 43-inches tall, this fan has an oscillation range of 65 degrees. It is also easily portable as it weighs less than 10 pounds and is equipped with a carry handle. The filter is concealed just under the vent, and it is very small.
5. Vie Air VA-50TF
- Features a digital touchscreen panel for easy setting and monitoring The digital display will read
- medium and high speed settings | 3 different alternating speed modes to simulate Grip handle for e
This fan is unique because it has a digital touchscreen panel to easily choose your settings and easily monitor the actual room temperature. There are three different speed settings and a timer for saving energy.
The fan can stay stationary, or it can oscillate for maximum circulation. The built-in ionizer allows for cleaner, fresher air, and a healthier environment.
This tower fan stands 50-inches tall and is a sleek black color. In addition to the fan’s digital touchscreen, there is an included remote control that allows you to operate the fan from across the room. This fan also has a carry handle to make it easy to transport from room to room.
6. Lasko AC600
- 4 Ultra-Quiet Speeds - make this bladeless tower fan ideal for the home or home office. A blower type fan mounted near the base allows this fan to provide a powerful cooling breeze while remaining almost completely silent.
- Whole Room Circulation - with Exclusive Cool Channels air is evenly distributed as it exits the fan. This allows the cool breeze to circulate around the room rather than just one area.
- Fresh Ion Technology with EZClick Filter - cleans and refreshes air as it circulates, promoting a healthier environment. The EZClick Filter is accessible near the base of the fan for easy vacuuming or rinsing.
- Wireless Remote Control - allows you to place the fan anywhere in the room, even if the controls are not easily accessible. With the remote you can adjust fan speeds, the built-in timer, turn oscillating on or off, or turn the fan on or off.
- Fully Assembled - allows you to take the fan out of the box, plug it into a wall outlet, and start enjoying a cooling breeze.
This fan is shaped like a pyramid instead of a tower. The shape gives this fan the ability to provide whole room circulation instead of just in one area.
Four speeds are almost completely silent when they are running. The ionizer setting refreshes and cleans the air while it circulates, leaving you with a healthier environment. The filter is easily accessible at the bottom of the fan.
The control panel is on the front of the fan, and it also comes with wireless remote control. The remote allows you to control the fan’s speed, the timer, the oscillation, and the power. The fan also comes fully assembled, so you don’t have to put it together.
If you have a fan with an ion button, you might be curious about what it is. The ion feature on some fans is to enable the ionizer feature. This releases negative ions into the air to interact and connect with positive ions to capture pollutants in the air.
It has not been proven that ionizers do much when it comes to getting rid of pollutants in your home’s air, but they can increase the fresh feeling in the air.