Even though it’s not safe to leave space heaters on, you always still want to find the best space heaters that can be left unattended to safely keep your house warm when you are away.
A space heater that doesn’t need your attention will heat the room as you go about your daily routines in your home or preheat the house before you return from work.
But since space heaters are the second most popular cause of house fires in winter, you want the safest unit possible. Safety, in this case, refers to various features inbuilt in the heater to prevent it from catching fire, burning the user, or simply prevent overheating.
5 Best Space Heaters That Can Be Left Unattended
How Long Should A Space Heater be Left on?
The amount of time a space heater can be left on depends on several factors including the type of the heater, size of the room, and how comfortable you feel at a certain temperature.
However, the average time it takes space heaters to raise the temperature in a room is usually one hour. If you use infrared heaters, however, you’ll experience plenty of warmth almost instantly because the heat is usually aimed directly at you.
The size of the room also plays an important role in how long it takes for you to feel the change in the temperature. If the heater is rightly sized for the room, you should expect the room to be comfortable within an hour.
This is vital because it is the reason why you need to have a perfectly sized heater for the room you want to heat. If it’s too small, it will have to work twice as hard to reach the temperature where you feel comfortable. If it’s too large, the heater will heat the room too quickly and cycle on and off, but it will also leave some cold zones in the room.
The downside of using either a small or large space heater is that your electricity bills will become unusually high.
Can you Leave an Electric Heater on All Night?
This is a controversial question but if we go by what is recommended by the manufacturers then it is not safe to leave space heaters on all night.
You can always heat your room 2 to 3 hours prior to sleeping so that you switch it off before you fall asleep. This will keep the room warm for more hours during the night.
However, most modern heaters are advertised to be safe and that they can be left unattended or on all night. But the truth of the matter is, space heaters can overheat and you won’t know the time it happens when you sleep, so don’t risk it.
If you own a space heater and still want to leave it on when you sleep, I’ll suggest you plug it in your socket for an hour or two and keep an eye if it doesn’t overheat or if the cord gets warm. If it reaches your set temperature without any hitches, then it’s perfectly fine
However, makes sure the heater has all these safety features or you can choose one of these heaters that you can leave overnight.
Safety Features to Consider when Choosing Space Heaters
Electric heaters with overheat protection can detect when the internal heating elements become too hot. When it’s extremely hot, it means the temperature is unsafe and the switch automatically shuts off the unit to prevent overheating.
If you place your heater where there is high foot traffic, you want to make sure it has tip-over protection. It automatically shuts off the power of the heater is accidentally tipped over or knocked down.
Cool to Touch Protection
Toddlers and pets are usually curious and maybe tempted the touch the heater when it’s running. For this reason, you want a heater with a cool-to-touch exterior to prevent accidental burns when someone touches it knowingly or unknowingly.
How to Safely Use Space Heaters
Since you’re still reading this article, you have probably made up your mind that you’ll leave your heater unattended anyway. However, you have to be aware of the dangers of running space heaters on all the time.
Space heaters can cause a fire. They’re the second leading cause of house fires in the winter according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Space heaters can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. While electric space heaters don’t pose any danger of carbon monoxide poisoning, those that run on fuel, including propane, kerosene, and natural gas are notorious for this. It is therefore recommended that you use them in well-ventilated rooms or not to use them indoors at all.
Space heaters dry out the skin. Winter can cause your skin to dry up but one culprit that people ignore is the space heater. While heating, a space heater strips the skin of its moisture, leaving it dry and scaly. You can add a humidifier in the room to add moisture.
Mistakes You Should Avoid When Using Space Heater
Using space heaters as the primary source of heat: You should only use a space heater to supplement your central heating system.
Oversizing or under-sizing: Even as a supplemental heat source, you still need to find an electric heater with the right heat output for your room. Consider 10 watts of power for every square foot of floor area in the room you’re heating.
Running space heater nonstop: If you can’t stop using a space heater, at least run it when it’s extremely necessary or find a heater with a timer. You might be okay with your heating bills but you should be wary of the dangers we have discussed above.
Placing the heater next to inflammable materials: Since space heaters can get really hot, you need to place them at least 3 feet away from any flammable items to prevent the risk of fires.
Putting space heaters in open areas: Avoid putting the heater in areas where people walk. You don’t want your family members running into the unit because they can knock it down or touch it and get burned.
Using broken or bad cords: Make sure your heater is in the right condition. Take notice of the cord and check for dings, dents, or any other defects.
Using an extension cord with a space heater: All electric heaters should be plugged directly into an outlet. Don’t rely on extension cords because they aren’t safe – can overheat or electric shock injuries or fires.
Neglecting maintenance: Don’t ignore the signs of a faulty heater. If it gets too hot, takes a long time to heat up the room, or makes strange noises, it’s time to repair or replace it altogether.
Factors to Consider when Choosing an Electric Heater
This is the size of the room you want to heat. Most space heaters are 1500 watts and 5200 BTU which is enough for rooms between 150 to 250 square feet. However, this is only a general guideline as you’ll always come across heaters that heat larger rooms or smaller rooms even at the same wattage.
This difference usually boils down to the type of heater, your indoor environment, and how you use the heater.
Type of heater
If you already know your room size, you want to find a heater that would best heat it. Different units use different heating technologies, including
Best Heaters that are Safe to Leave On Overnight Unattended
1. Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
- Can heat up a large room with Auto Energy Saving Model With High and Low Feature. Tip-over protection and Overheat protection
- Dual Heating Systems featuring infrared quartz tube + PTC with 12hr automatic shut-off timer
- IR Remote Control, High Pressure Low Noise Blower with Noise level 39 dB super quiet. Heating can cover for a large room.
- Electronic Thermostat: range 50 to 85 degrees. Caster Wheels and lifetme filter
- Weights 24 lbs and uses 12.5 Amps of Power. 1500 Watts.Electric Cord 72 inch long
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Power source type: Corded Electric
Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater is a safe, durable heater that works similarly to sunlight. Using this unit feels more natural and energy-efficient than other units within its class.
It uses 100 percent of the heat produced, which creates almost no loss in heat transfer. Besides, it’s super easy to maintain and can last you through many winters.
Additionally, it features a removable filter that is replaceable and easy to clean, making it clean and fresh every time needed. Its advanced heating system allows greater heat production without using any more power.
It’s also equipped with an adjustable remote control that you can comfortably use to program your heater settings or change the temperature without getting up from your cozy, tucked-in position.
What’s more, it’s soothingly quiet and generates high pressure allowing it to move large volumes of air at a much lower speed. It’s equipped with a programmable timer that automatically shuts off when the number of hours you’ve programmed reaches. Keep yourself warm and save more on energy bills with Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater!
- Outstanding warranty
- Works as advertised
- Too quiet
- Well constructed
- It might not be the most durable
2. De’Longhi Ceramic Tower Heater
- Instant Warmth: Packs 1500 watts (5120 BTUs) of power for instant personal heating.
- Automatically Saves Energy: ECO function automatically adjusts heat and power settings for the most comfortable and economical warmth
- Peace of Mind: Featuring a thermal shutoff to prevent overheating and an internal tip-over switch that automatically turns the unit off if it falls over.
- Personalized Comfort: Customize your heating needs with digital controls, including an adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings.
- Quiet System: Unique technology reduces noise by half so you can comfortably watch TV or sleep.
- Warmth When You Want It: The Manual Programmable Timer can be set to go on whenever you need heat most.
- Heat More Parts of the Room: Foot pedal activates motorized oscillation to deliver full-room warm air circulation.
- Heat at Your Fingertips: A full-function remote lets you adjust all comfort settings without getting up.
- Helps Prevent Frozen Pipes: When the temperature dips below freezing, the standby setting automatically warms up the heater – ideal for preventing frozen pipes in basements.
- 150 sq feet of Comfort: Best for small to medium rooms- up to 150 sq feet in size.
The De’Longhi Ceramic Tower Heater provides instant warmth right where you need it. It’s packed with 1500 watts of power for instant personal heating.
It boasts of a Stylish 28″ tower design that takes up minimal space while providing maximum and instant warmth. Besides, you can easily customize your heating needs using its adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings.
Moreover, it’s backed up with 3-years limited warranty with foot pedals, which activate motorized oscillation to deliver full-room warm air circulation. It also features a thermal shutoff button and an internal tip-over switch, which prevents overheating and automatically turns the device off if it falls over.
What’s more, it comes loaded with an ECO function feature that automatically adjusts power and heat settings for the most reliable, economical, and comfortable warmth. The availability of a full-function remote allows you to adjust all settings without getting up. It’s highly recommended!
- Super easy to use
- Space saver
- Works as intended
- The excellent automatic shutoff feature
- Adjustable temperature and thermostat
- It’s surprisingly tricky for some to adjust the temperature
3. De’Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater
- DURABLE & MAINTENANCE-FREE: Patented, high-quality steel assembly and the permanently-sealed oil reservoir never needs refilling
- RADIANT HEAT: 1500 watts of heating power for quiet, full room comfort
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT: Customize to your heating needs with an adjustable thermostat and 3 heat settings
- PATENTED THERMAL SLOTS: Unique thermal slot design maximizes heat flow into the room while maintaining a low surface temperature
- PEACE OF MIND: Features a thermal shutoff to prevent overheating
- STAY COZY AND SAVE ENERGY. Carving out a comfortable room, desk, or other cozy spot for work, focus, and learning is more important than ever. Add this heater to your designated space to keep it cozy—optimizing productivity and turning an unexpected challenge into an energy-saving win
Another top choice that Amazonians find relatively relatable is the De’Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater. This revolutionary new device efficiently and effectively heats your room and features a high-quality, patented steel assembly and a permanently-sealed oil reservoir that never needs refilling.
Besides, it features thermal chimneys that offer maximum heating while ensuring a low surface temperature and a 25% more radiant surface to heat people in the room. Its unique patented thermal slot design ensures maximum heat flow into the room while maintaining a much lower surface temperature.
Its anti-breeze setting allows it to turn on when the temperature drops below 44 degrees automatically. It’s also equipped with an adjustable thermostat, multiple heat settings, and a timer to help you customize your heating needs.
It features an anti-freeze and thermal cutoff setting helpful in preventing freezing pipes. It’s an excellent choice for households of up to 144 sq feet that frequently need heat during colder seasons.
- Durable and maintenance-free
- Incorporates 3-years limited warranty
- Its eco mode saves more energy
- Lightweight and space-saver
- Super quiet and perfect for a bedroom
- Simple and straightforward to use
- It slightly gets too warm.
4. Vornado AVH10 Vortex Heater
- HEAT DIFFERENTLY — Gently heat all in the air in a small to medium-sized room through vortex air circulation without using intense heat, similar to how a forced air furnace works, just on a smaller scale.
- AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL — Intelligently senses how much heat and circulation is needed to maintain set temperature, and makes adjustments automatically so you don't have to.High Heat Amps:12.5
- HEAT EFFICIENTLY — 2 quiet heat settings (Low/750W, High/1500W) and a fan only option to tailor heat output and energy consumption.
- HEAT SAFELY — Advanced safety features include a cool-touch exterior, tip-over protection, and an automatic safety shut-off system for worry-free use.
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT — Backed by a 5-year hassle-free and supported by a customer service team based in Andover, KS.
- Built to meet U. S. voltage requirements. Certified, safety-tested, and warrantied for use only in the U. S.
If you’re looking for an affordable, all easy-to-use heater, the Vornado AVH10 Vortex Heater is the next generation of whole room heaters. It employs advanced safety features for a cozier, comfortable environment.
It automatically shuts off if the unit tips over or excess heat is detected. Besides, it uses exceptional airflow, commonly referred to as Vortex Action, to heat your room. The air tends to flow faster, gentle, and warm, creating a heating experience unlike any other.
What’s more, this device can sense how much heat and circulation is needed, enabling users to maintain their ideal temperature while making adjustments automatically. You can comfortably set your desired room temperature using the LED screen and push-button controls while regulating the power consumption between low and high.
Additionally, it’s loaded with two quiet heat settings and a fan-only option for more energy consumption and to tailor heat output.
It’s surprisingly backed up with a 5-year hassle-free warranty and a more supportive customer service. Besides, it’s certified, safety-tested, and built to meet all U.S voltage requirements. Stay warm and cozy with this priceless unit!
- Super quiet and lightweight
- Sleek and stylish design
- Excellent warranty
- Safety-tested and certified
- Strong and durable
- Has all security features
- Simple to operate and control
- Few complaints about heater elements burning out
5. Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX-WIFI Infrared Heater
- (Wall Mounted Heater Only.) Wi-Fi enabled makes it possible for you to control the temperature from your phone!
- Safe to the touch grill. 1500 watts of power
- Space saving wall mount design means you don't lose floor space. Perfect for bedrooms, kitchens, offices and more
- When installed over the outlet, you can hide the cord inside the heater. This unit stays cool to the touch and the wall stays cool.
- Safe to the touch grill. Wall mounted version, Feet not included.
- Voltage: 110 Volts
Heat Storm HS-1500-PHX-WIFI Infrared Heater is another bombshell that you can get on the market today. Its stylish and sleek design can perfectly blend with your existing décor.
Besides, its Wi-Fi enabled, making it possible for users to control the temperature from their phones. Its wall-mount, space-saving design makes it an excellent choice for bedrooms, offices, or kitchens since no floor space is lost.
Additionally, if installed over the outlet, you can hide the cord inside the heater as it stays cool and safe to touch. More exceedingly, this unit is ETL safety certified, portable, and highly efficient in providing you and your loved ones a cozy, comfortable environment.
It also employs a 1-year warranty and is approved by most shoppers, who claim that it warms up the room much quicker than other brands in its class.
The availability of patented HMS dual-wall technology, which is extremely energy-efficient, enables users to rest easy while doing their daily chores or preferably watching their favorite show. You can never go wrong with this exquisite device!
- Saves on space
- Reliable and quiet
- Short warranty period