If you’re looking to heat a large room, it’s wise to go for powerful space heaters like the best electric heater for 800 sq ft I’ve reviewed.
One of the benefits of electric space heaters is that they allow you to spot heat in a specific room without depending on the central heating system. They are also energy efficient, especially if you use them to supplement your primary heat source.
However, many homeowners don’t know how to choose the right size space heater for their rooms. A wrong unit will negatively affect your heating bills because it will either heat the room too fast if it’s too large or work twice as hard to warm the room if it’s too small.
If you want to heat a room approximately 800 square feet, then I’ve reviewed the best space heaters for 800 square feet. Some of these space heaters are powerful enough and can heat rooms up to 1000 square feet.
Space Heater for 800 Square Feet Comparison
What Size Electric Heater Do I Need?
To determine the right size of the heater, it is necessary to consider the size of the room, the heating capacity of the available heaters, and other factors. Here is a simple procedure that you can follow to ensure that you get the right size of an electric heater for indoor use.
First, determine the actual size of your room by multiplying the length and width. This is important because it forms the basis for determining the amount of heat that you need to keep the room warm and comfortable. If your room measures 15 by 15 feet, then the area will be 225 square feet.
Second, multiply the area of your room by 10 to get the number of wattages required to keep the room cozy. In our example, the wattage figure suitable for heating the room will be 2,250.
Third, you should convert the figure for wattage into British Thermal Units (BTUs). The heating capacity of space heaters is usually indicated in the form of BTUs.
This figure is marked on the surface of the heater to help you make the right decision. To change wattage into BTUs, multiply your figure by 3.41. In our example, the required BTUs would be 2,250 by 3.41 (which equals 7672.5 BTUs).
Remember to take into account other special features that may affect the heating requirements of your room. Indoor spaces with high ceilings usually require more heating than low-ceiling spaces because of the large variance between the floor and ceiling temperatures. Also, particularly drafty rooms need additional heating than normal ones.
In our given example, it may be appropriate to go for a heater with a BTU that is slightly more than 8,000 if your room is particularly drafty.
Different Types of Space Heaters
Radiant and Infrared Heaters
Radiant and infrared heaters have been specially designed to provide quick heating solutions for large spaces. The heaters emit infrared radiation that is used to directly warm objects that are found in a room.
The heat from the objects then spreads across the living areas of entire indoor spaces. As a result, this type of heater is perfect for warming large living rooms and other spaces.
Convection heaters have a special heating fluid (oil) that is used to dissipate heat slowly for a long time. The oil, which functions as a heat sink, collects heat from the heating element of the heater.
The heat is then slowly released through fins and can be regulated using thermostats and other settings features.
Because convection heaters rely on the natural flow of air to spread heat in living rooms, they are ideal for use in small-sized spaces. Moreover, most convection heaters do not have fans; therefore, they are quite silent and perfect for use in bedrooms.
Micathermic Panel Heaters
These hybrid heaters combine the benefits of convection and radiation heating methods. Most micathermic panel heaters produce 80% of heat through convection heating methods and the remaining 20% through radiation.
Therefore, micathermic panel heaters are usually quite silent when operating. Moreover, they can effectively warm larger spaces than standard convection heaters can do.
Ceramic Fan-Forced Heaters
Ceramic fan-forced heaters comprise a specialized heating element and a fan. The heating element radiates the required heat to warm indoor spaces. The inbuilt fan is used to speed up the circulation of heated air across rooms. Because of the use of the fan ceramic heaters are quite effective in warming large areas.
For some ceramic heaters, the heating element oscillates slowly from left to right to maximize the distribution of heat. The oscillation also ensures the even distribution of the generated heat within indoor spaces where the heater is used.
How Much Electricity Does an Electric Heater Use?
The amount of electricity that a space heater uses relies on two things: its wattage and the length of time in which you leave it on. The longer the length of time that your heater works, the higher the amount of energy it consumes. Also, if your heater operates on low wattage, this reduces the amount of electricity that it ends up consuming.
To determine the amount of electricity that an electric heater uses, it is necessary to start with the heater wattage. Most electric heaters that are currently available on the market are rated 1,500w and 750w. When operating on the 750w mode, the heater consumes little energy and, as a result, warms small spaces.
Let us assume that you have a 1,500w heater for warming your house. If you use the heater to warm the room for only 4 hours a day, then the total amount of energy used would be 1,500 by 4 hours (equals 6,000w). The 6,000w is equivalent to 6kW.
The utility rates are measured in terms of kW. If we assume that one kW is sold for $2, then keeping your heater on for four hours a day will cost you $12. If you maintain this rate of usage for one month, then the total heating cost would translate to $360.
How to Use Space Heater More Efficiently in a Large Room
It is important to use a space heater efficiently to keep your total heating expenses within manageable levels. This is quite important if you use the heater in large indoor spaces. here are a few important tips that you can use to ensure efficient heating of large indoor spaces using electric heaters.
- Use the space heater for zonal heating. If you need to warm a large room, it is better to use the heater to warm different zones of the space repeatedly than letting the heater run for a very long time. Zonal heating is an effective strategy of eliminating cold air pockets in the room and ensuring that the entire space is comfortable.
- Use your electric heater as a supplementary source of heat. If you adopt this strategy, then you will only have to keep the heater on for a few hours when it is necessary. This means that the electric heater will only be used to provide additional heating in areas where people are at any given time. As a result, you will minimize your heating costs and create a cozy environment within your house.
- Do not leave your heater on overnight. Although most brands of electric heaters have advanced inbuilt safety features, it is still unwise to leave them running unattended. Remember to switch off your heater even when you leave the room for only a couple of hours. Similarly, always switch off the heater before you go to bed. This not only minimizes the chances of an accident occurring when no one is near the heater but also ensures efficient utilization of the device.
- Use the appropriate size of the heater. As discussed before, always ensure that the heating capacity of your device matches the size of the room. Using heaters that have a small heating capacity to warm the air in large rooms is usually inefficient. You will have to leave the heater on for a very long time. Therefore, choose heaters that are suitable for heating your space by matching their BTU scores with the area of your rooms.
Best Electric Heater for 800 sq. ft
|Dr Infrared Heater DR998, 1500W, Advanced Dual...||Check Amazon Price|
|NewAir Portable Heater (240V) Portable Electric...||Check Amazon Price|
|Amazon Basics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater -...||Check Amazon Price|
1. Unique Heat Electric Infrared Heater
The Unique Heat Electric Infrared Heater is ideal for providing supplementary heating in large indoor spaces. With a BTU score of 5,200 and a wattage rating of 1,500, this infrared electric heater can effectively warm spaces that measure up to 800 square feet.
Because the heater does not have a fan, it operates quite silently. You can comfortably use it in living and bedrooms to create a cozy environment without causing interruptions.
It is easy to personalize the performance of this heater, thanks to its great control features that include an inbuilt thermostat, three temperature settings, and remote control. You can use the remote control to adjust the heating performance according to your needs.
However, like any other product, the Unique Heat Portable Electric Infrared Heater does have some flaws. Weighing 15 pounds and measuring 15.1 by 11.5 by 9.6 inches, the heater is quite bulky.
You will have a difficult time moving it from one place to another or positioning it when carrying out zonal heating in your home. Luckily, the four wheels are quite helpful.
- Advanced safety features, including cool-to-touch and tip-protection
- Great control features, including remote control, three-heating settings, and an inbuilt digital thermostat
- Effective and rapid heating capability
- It is quite bulky
2. Dr. Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
- Can heat up a large room with Dual Heating System: Infrared Quartz tube + PTC. Tip-over protection and Overheat protection
- Built-in humidifier produces a cool mist to add much needed humidity to dry, winter air
- Oscillation function distributes warmth throughout your entire area evenly and faster.Can be operated as a fan with humidifier or without , good for summer time
- Electronic Thermostat: range 50 to 85 degrees. Uses water bottle instead of water tank. Lifetime filter can be removed easily and cleaned. Cannot harm children or pets. Filter can be cleaned with warm water or a vacuum once removed from the back of the unit
- The DR-998 Portable Infrared Space Heater is a 1500W portable heater featuring a dual-heating system with both infrared and ceramic heating elements inside. This heater comes with a Humidifier attachment as well as a remote for convenient use. The heater can be used with or without the humidifier, the humidifier can be run with or without the heating portion of the heater turned on, and the heater can also be run in fan-only mode. It comes with 4 durable caster wheels that allow the heater to move effortlessly from room to room.
- Mounting type: Free Standing
The Dr. Space Heater has several features that make it one of the most reliable electric heaters for 800 square feet spaces. With a wattage of 1,500 and high, low, and auto energy-saving modes, this heater can be the ideal choice if you are keen on heating large indoor spaces efficiently.
By changing across the three heating modes, you can adapt the performance of the heater to your heating requirements and avoid using excess electricity.
You will find the dual heating system of this heater a useful innovation. The combination of an infrared quartz tube and positive temperature coefficient (PTC) maximizes the capacity of this heater to provide warmth in mid-sized indoor spaces rapidly.
The only notable drawback of using this heater is that its blower is quite noisy. You may find it inappropriate to use the heater in a bedroom where ultimate silence is necessary. However, Dr. Space Heater is a wonderful supplementary heating solution if you can bear with the noise of the blower.
- It provides efficient heating when operating on the auto energy-saving mode
- The caster wheels maximize portability and last for a long time
- Effective heating using the dual heating system
- The blower of the heater is quite loud
3. Lifesmart Compact Power Plus Infrared Heater
- 6 quartz infrared heating elements
- 3 heat settings: 1,000w / 1,500w / and ECO-maintains a constant 68º
- Overheat safety switch
- Tip-over safety switch
- Cool touch exterior cabinet
One of the hallmarks of the Lifesmart Compact Power Plus 800 Square Feet Infrared Heater is the design of its heating elements.
It has three exclusive quartz heating elements that operate as independent sources of heat. The combined effect of these heating elements enables the heater to rapidly warm up indoor spaces through infrared radiation.
If you prioritize the ease of use, then this heater may be a good choice. You can use the remote control to determine the way the digital thermostat and timer function. Thus, it is easy to personalize the performance of the heater according to the heating requirements of your house.
However, this great electric heater has one major flaw: it does not have caster wheels for mobility. Heaters that have wheels can be easily moved from one place to another. You will have to carry this sizeable heater from one room to another when using it in your home.
- Effectively heats small to mid-sized indoor spaces because of the design of the quartz heating elements
- Ease of use through the remote control
- Ultra-silent operation
- It does not have wheels for ease of movement
4. NewAir G56 5600 Watt Garage Heater
- [POWERFUL FAN FORCED HEATING] - With 5,600 watts of heating power, this electric garage heater packs a punch. It's strong enough to warm up to 600 square feet—perfect for a two-car garage or a 24x24 workshop or shed.
- [RUGGED EXTERIOR BUILT TO LAST] - Black powder coated finish protects against scratches and scuffs, making this sturdy steel-bodied heater perfect for garages, workshops and light industrial environments.
- [THERMOSTAT & AUTO-FAN TEMP CONTROL] - Set the temperature you want. Once the space has reached the ideal temperature, the fan will automatically kick-in as needed to keep your workshop warm. It’s that easy to get the heated working environment you need in winter.
- [PORTABILITY FEATURES FOR FAR-RANGING HEAT] - Take advantage of 2 portable features: the cord wrap and carry handle. Together they make it easy for you to position or move your heater to the most ideal place in your garage, workshop, or shed.
- [SAFETY FEATURES FOR PEACE OF MIND] - This UL-certified heater has an automatic shut-off function that prevents overheating. The outer construction stays cool after use to ensure safety for you and your space.
The NewAir G56 5600 is a unique electric heater because its body is made up of high-quality steel. The sturdy design maximizes the life of this heater and helps you get real value for your money. You will not have to worry about the additional costs of repairing or even replacing the heater often.
The heater has been certified as a safe-to-use electric device because of its safety features, including overheat protection. The overheat protection capability prevents the occurrence of fire accidents if the temperature of the heater rises abnormally.
Additionally, its large heating range of between 45- and 95-degrees Fahrenheit can be quite useful when there are major temperature fluctuations. It is easy to adjust the heating performance of the heater according to the prevailing weather conditions.
Sadly, this electric heater does not come with remote control. You will have to rely on manual controls to operate this heater. Luckily, the manual controls are easy-to-use and appropriately positioned on the front side of the casing of the heater.
- Highly durable because the body is made of steel
- The heater is safety-certified
- It has a large heating temperate range of between 45- and 95-degrees Fahrenheit
- The surface of the heater becomes very hot
- The heater is not sold with a remote control
5. AmazonBasics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater
- Elegant wood finish portable space heater with adjustable electronic thermostat and easy-to-read LED display (measures 13 x 12 x 16 inches; weighs 23.5 pounds)
- Includes over-heat sensor for safety
- Adjustable temperature setting from : 65- 85 ℉
- Four infrared heating elements with 750W and 1500W power settings as well as ECO-Smart setting for energy savings
- Includes remote control (batteries not included)
- Can heat rooms up to 160 sqft (standard 9 foot ceiling height)
The AmazonBasics Portable Eco-Smart Space Heater has an amazing heat output that is enough to warm the air in large indoor spaces.
Although the heater has the standard 1,500 and 750 heating modes, its four infrared heating elements are powerful enough to quickly create and maintain a cozy environment in indoor spaces.
The remote control makes it easy to switch the heater on and off as well as change its heating capacity according to your needs. You can use the remote control to choose the appropriate heating temperature across a range of 65 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
Despite its great heating performance and ease of control, this heater does not have any of the features that are supposed to enhance portability. It neither has wheels nor a handle that one can use to move it easily across rooms. This means that you have to carry it from one place to another.
- The heater has several features to enhance efficiency, including the eco-smart settings
- Great heating capacity suitable for rooms as large as 1,000 square feet
- It is sold with a remote control
- It lacks features for portability
You don’t have to go through space heating jargons to determine the right size heater for your room. As long as you discover the size of your space in square feet, it’s easy to determine how many BTUs you’ll require.
If you’re in a hurry, I’ll recommend Unique Heat Electric Infrared Heater especially if you want to use a space heater in your living or bedroom. For garages, you can try NewAir G56 5600 Watt Garage Heater.
Nonetheless, all these electric heaters for 800 sq ft will still do a great job of keeping your room warm throughout winter. They are also safe to use and will help reduce your energy bills if you use them to supplement your central heat.
If you find that you need a less powerful heater, you can find other options including these heaters for 600 square feet.